What's the Difference Between Casings & Toppings?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for re-posting this -- good info & very interesting. This explains a lot about how the flavors get into our tobaccos.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Thanks for posting this Kevin. Yes, it does get a tad confusing sometimes and Russ' blog article cleared it up for me.
Jason

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Good analogy.
Sometimes, though, it is still hard to tell the difference when it comes down to discussing particular blends...

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Russ's article describes in elegant detail the process and I applaud him for such a wonderful contribution. The whole "casing vs topping" debate should finally end with this article. The only point I will add is for the believers that their tobacco is "untreated" with any flavoring. To them, I suggest that they fill their bowl with raw tobacco. But, first, tie your pant legs shut and have a bowl of ice cubes at hand for thy tonque. As Craig Tarler put it, "I don't look forward to tonque-bite Thursdays". He was referring to the regular testing of newly arrived Virginia tobacco pallets to test the consistency of the harvest. So, as I have often said, in general terms, aromatic vs non-aromatic is simply a matter of "degree". Choose your "degree" and enjoy your smoke!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.