banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What's the chances of this being smokable?

(7 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by acidpox
  • Latest reply from sablebrush52
  1. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Just ran across this on Ebay. Its outta my price range but what's the chances it's still smokable?

1945 Perique

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd guess there's a 1.433% chance of a nice smoke.

But it caused me to find this overpriced and pitted pipe:

"RARE PIPE H. SIMMONS BURLINGTON ARCADE 607 LONDON ENGLAND" Only $175! Unrestored.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

acidpox I wouldn't pay that much money for a blend that old over the internet. In my opinion, should that pouch inside the cardboard box get any air, the bacy will crumble the moment you touch it, if it's not powder already. Also, since it's John Middleton I am inclined to say that this was an over the counter blend back in 1945 ... is $250 for an aged OTC an ok price? Shoot ... look at it this way for $250 you can probably still find a dump load of dunhill tins and 20 years from now you'll be one of the coolest kids on the block.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I in no way intended to bid on it lol, I just thought it was kinda cool. I wont pay more than 100 bucks on a pipe, there is no way in hell I'd pay 250 for 2 ounces of tobacco.

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no idea how to calculate the probability, but someone could probably smoke it, regardless. It is whether it is worth smoking that is in question, I guess.
    If it were in something a little more protective, and was stored with care, the odds would be greater that it would still have flavor. But, it just doesn't look like it was. If someone was going to buy it, they would merely be adding it to their collection of tobaccoianna that they don't really intend to smoke. Some people collect such things to own a part of history.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

Interesting to see if it sells, and to whom. Digging the fill in that pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I guarantee you 100%, no questions asked, that it is smokeable.

It may be the foulest, most rancid, stale, dead zombie wraith of a smoke you will ever experience, more vile than Satan's nether bits, even more than the usual methuselaean tobacco ripoffs perpetrated on a gulled and witless pipe smoking populace, because it's been nesting in cardboard rather than sealed in a cutter top for nearly 80 years.

But put a match to it and it will burn and thus be smokeable.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, dontbeaburleyman, yuda, brooklynpiper, krizzose, trouttimes, alaskanpiper, mossdoug, jpmcwjr, pipeanddrum, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob