What's the chances of this being smokable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd guess there's a 1.433% chance of a nice smoke.
But it caused me to find this overpriced and pitted pipe:
s-l1600.jpg

"RARE PIPE H. SIMMONS BURLINGTON ARCADE 607 LONDON ENGLAND" Only $175! Unrestored.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
acidpox I wouldn't pay that much money for a blend that old over the internet. In my opinion, should that pouch inside the cardboard box get any air, the bacy will crumble the moment you touch it, if it's not powder already. Also, since it's John Middleton I am inclined to say that this was an over the counter blend back in 1945 ... is $250 for an aged OTC an ok price? Shoot ... look at it this way for $250 you can probably still find a dump load of dunhill tins and 20 years from now you'll be one of the coolest kids on the block.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I in no way intended to bid on it lol, I just thought it was kinda cool. I wont pay more than 100 bucks on a pipe, there is no way in hell I'd pay 250 for 2 ounces of tobacco.

I have no idea how to calculate the probability, but someone could probably smoke it, regardless. It is whether it is worth smoking that is in question, I guess.

If it were in something a little more protective, and was stored with care, the odds would be greater that it would still have flavor. But, it just doesn't look like it was. If someone was going to buy it, they would merely be adding it to their collection of tobaccoianna that they don't really intend to smoke. Some people collect such things to own a part of history.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Interesting to see if it sells, and to whom. Digging the fill in that pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I guarantee you 100%, no questions asked, that it is smokeable.
It may be the foulest, most rancid, stale, dead zombie wraith of a smoke you will ever experience, more vile than Satan's nether bits, even more than the usual methuselaean tobacco ripoffs perpetrated on a gulled and witless pipe smoking populace, because it's been nesting in cardboard rather than sealed in a cutter top for nearly 80 years.
But put a match to it and it will burn and thus be smokeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.