PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Greetings,
Question from a newbie here.
Inside my pipe stem, in between and connecting the interior of shank and stem is a white tubular object.
It looks like a filter of some kind, and I can draw air through it, so I thought it should remain.
But then I read instructions for routine pipe cleaning that said I should insert a pipe cleaner down the length of the stem (I assume from mouthpiece to bowl) after each bowl and this would be impossible without taking the pipe apart (which I read you shouldn't do immediately after a smoke). So I thought the thing might be some artifact of shipping, so I thought it should go.
So... what is that thing and what do I do with it? Smoke with it or chuck it?
Thanks for any information.
Bruce

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Storm! And welcome to the PM forums. Astronomy buff? Or just a sunny disposition?
It's a filter. They trap moisture, ash, tars, and some nicotine; but as you've correctly surmised, they're a PITA. If you continue to use a filter, you will have to wait for your pipe to cool down before disassembling it and swabbing with a pipe cleaner.
If you don't use the filter you risk sucking tobacco bits, ash, or worse, hot embers through the stem; but you will be able to run a pipe cleaner through it, as you described, immediately after smoking.
Filters come in many forms and sizes: paper tubes, wood tubes, balsa inserts, activated charcoal cartridges, to name the common forms. It's my understanding that they are much more popular in Europe than N. America, but they are common and widely available.
Some pipes come with metallic inserts of various types designed to trap particles and condense moisture. They are collectively known as plumbing, sometimes called stingers. Since I have very little experience with either filters or plumbing I'll let someone else provide the needed advice and coping strategies.
Cheers!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
If the filter is a long paper tube that is 7/16th" (or 6mm) then it probably can take a pipe cleaner through it. If it has caps on the end of it (usually different colored caps) and is 9/16th" (or 9mm) then cortez attic has it right and you won't be able to get a pipe cleaner through it until the pipe has cooled down completely.
Hope this helps...
-Jason

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Thanks guys.
At least I know what it is now.
It has four small holes in each end. They don't look like they'd allow a pipe cleaner through.
I think I'll try smoking without it and see how that goes.
And Cortez, the answer to both questions is a resounding YES! :)

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Actually, that's seven tiny holes in a honeycomb pattern - for the sake of accuracy.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah that's a 9mm filter. You'll find them very popular with European pipes manufacturers.
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah that's a 9mm filter. You'll find them very popular with European pipes manufacturers.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.