PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Ok so lately I have been trying to include an english blend in my normal aromatic tobacco choices.

I have been experimenting with Brigham English Mix. Now my question is. What is it in this tobacco that smells like flowers (best way I can describe it)? I'm sure this is in my other tobacco's but I think because I normally smoke aromatics I likely never noticed it before.

I really like what ever this is, so if was sure what it is I can look for blends with more of it in it.

Thanks guys.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If the blender who does Brigham's tobaccos was influenced by the Cumbrian blenders, Gawith and Hoggarth, then there are a variety of additives that can produce the soapy and floral aromas to which you refer: rose, rose geranium, heliotrope, and perhaps some others.
When combined with Oriental leaf anything is possible, as alluded to by Lawrence's description of lemon grass. Some Orientals, Drama among them, I believe, can even produce a pungent raw green olive taste. I've experienced some of those aromas and flavors in a breath freshener called Sen-sen, and C. Howard's violet flavored chewing gum. I think that in extremely concentrated form even common licorice can produce a floral sensation. Tonquin and deertongue might also reveal a floral side in some applications. There are some pretty closely held secrets here, I suspect.
I think the funniest description I've ever heard of the Lakeland scents, as they are normally called, is that they smell somewhere between

Aunt Millie's perfume and a urinal cake. :lol:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
This is not the thread I thought it was going to be. We live in Rural Annapolis Valley NS, this time of year the smells begin to make themselves known, liquid pig manure, cow manure, fermenting compost, horse manure etc, all at least 6 months old due to Winter, and of course let us not forget those lovely Skunks that are beginning to roam again and the ones killed on the roads!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I too was fooled by the title of this thread. I thought it was an answer to the question of what is producing that olfactory funk in my kitchen. I have searched high and low and I cannot identify its source. Gotta be a dead mouse or something.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks fellows for your thoughts /opinions. I'll research the ingredients you all mentioned.
As for the bad smell group, this tobacco smells like what your talking about when opened but tastes much different...thank God.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Wow..

1.floral baccy

2. Skynyrd

3. funky canada

4. funky kitchen

:crazy:

Talk about train of thought

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've smelled some tobaccos that had a floral TIN NOTE, but, not the smoke.
But then again, I don't describe what I smell in the same way that others do.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I have a few that smell like urinal cake. I only smoke those outside. It keeps the bugs away. No re-orders on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.