PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've only had a few bowls of Old Dublin and I have to say it did a number on my stomach every time. I've been wondering ever since why English blends are so popular? The experience with Old Dublin has me very turned off to English blends and wary to ever try another one. It didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste good enough to warrant dealing with the stomach troubles. With the Latakia upsetting my stomach so much I've been bewildered as to why these blends with Latakia are so popular.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Is that the only latakia blend you have tried. It may not have been the latakia, possibly some other component or the nicotine content was the culprit.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think there's a touch of Latakia in the Frog Morton on the Bayou if I'm not mistaken, though being into pipe smoking for only a year it's very likely that I am mistaken. On The Bayou didn't give me any troubles ever. But Old Dublin gives my stomach problems every time. I did kind of think of maybing giving one more try to another Latakia blend before throwing in the towel on English/Latakia's. Was leaning towards Nightcap/EMP. What's a blend with Latakia that's greatly different from Old Dublin?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I have to say that I love English blends now but I've been smoking a pipe for 30 years and for the first 15 I couldn't stand English blends. For me they were definitely an acquired taste but a taste that really just clicked one day. I decided to smoke a bowl of 965 all the way down and by the time I got to the end of it, I was hooked. I compare it to comparing it to your typical America beer to a Guinness. The first time you try a Guiness, its a shock to your taste buds but in time you may grow to like it. I still don't have a taste for virginia flakes, try as I might. Thank goodness there are so many different blends out there. There are tons of aromatics for you to enjoy for a lifetime if your tastes never trip to English blends.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I like English blends, only problem is my saliva starts tasting foul and builds up after a while smoking stronger English blends, but it can be remedied by spitting now and again. It's bearable but annoying so I don't smoke it as often as I would like. :(

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
I like all of the English blends I've tried so far. Especially Old Dublin. The fact that it's not overly flavored is it's strong suit to me. Smoky, sweet, and a slight spice of some sort. The nicotine seems to be OK as well.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
English Blends......in my opinion they're just like all other blends,.....some are done well..some are not.
Dunhill and Esoterica blends are by far my favorites,....where as everything English from Altadis has ended up in the trash can.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
This is one of the great things about pipe smoking. Everyone likes/hates different blends and because of that there is always a different blend to try. Never gets boring does it :D

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Jumping right in to English blends can be a challenge for the new pipe smoker. Most will tell you to gradually work up to them. It took me a couple years to appreciate them but now 40 years on I find them to be great. Also, there are many "cross-over" blends to get you there. You'll get some good tips from the other folks here.

Good luck and don't give up on English style blends.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Maybe that's another idea. Give one more Latakia blend a try and if it doesn't go well, just put English/Latakia blends on the back burner for a few years.
Another idea is to take your favorite Aromatic blend and mix it 70/30 or even 50/50 with a something like Penzanze and see if you like it any better. I love mixing up cross blends like that.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sounds like you need a light English . Frog IMHO is a light Engish blend in all variants . There is just enough Latika to shake things up in the taste dept and not over power the blend .Perhaps some GLP Piccadilly would be a better stepping stone , or maybe Dunhill EMP now that it can be gotten again . I would not rule out trying a Balken blend . Like the Rattrays 3Noggins [some say this is English some say not] . :puffpipe:

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
English blends - although tasty - can be a little harsh on the stomach. I new a Tobacco Rep who couldn't smoke them because they hurt his stomach. So you are not alone. I would recommend going for a crossover - a combo of English tobaccos and aromatics. Sterling Tobacco has some excellent crossovers - I would recommend - My Buddy, 1776 Bostonian. Or try 4 Noggins Bald Headed teacher - an aromatic with a hint of Latakia.
Anyway don't fret - you are not alone. Go slow Amigo.
Meanwhile enjoy Aromatics - I personally love them - but I also enjoy full English Blends, Crossovers, etc.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
...and P.S. no one said you had to like English or Latakia Blends - they are just another option to put in your pipe. There are far more Aromatic lovers than English/Latakia lovers. There is just a little snobbery you have to deal with now and then re: what pipe tobacco is the best.
The bottom line is...smoke what you enjoy.
Salud!

Status
Not open for further replies.