PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I am new to cellaring. I basically consumed my purchase ASAP. The anti-smoking lawmakers have been making me nervous so I thought it was best to squirrel a bunch away. I buy tins and can bulk tobacco in mason jars.

Currently I have:

10 tins of McC Blackwoods

8 tins of McC Beacon

4 tins of SG Best Brown Flake

1 tin of SG FVF

6 4oz jars of JFH Shortcut to Mushrooms
I know this is a meager beginning but the plan is to continue to squirrel.

What's in your cellar?

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Even less :( student/musician salary sucks!
W/out actually looking, I approximately have:

A few or more of: JKP, Triple Play, Haddo's and Meridian

At least one of: Maltese Falcon, Sextant, Lagonda, Barbary Coast, Robusto, Smaugweed and a C&D riverboat gambler.

And probably 4 or 5 tins I can't remember, all GLP.
Hope my budget next semester allows for some more surplus shopping!

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
I haven't been buying bulk for aging yet, but those in bold I'm planning to rebuy for aging.
My cellar list. One tin or less of the following:
- Orlik "Bull's Eye"

- Gawith Hoggarth "Louisiana Flake"
- Germains "Special Latakia Flake"

- Samuel Gawith "Balkan Flake"

- Samuel "Gawith Skiff mixture"

- Rattaray "Red Rapperee"

- "Presbyterian Mixture"

- Dunhill "London mixture"

- Dunhill "Nightcap"

- Samuel Gawith "Squadronleader"
- Poul Olsens "O3"

- Macbaren "Mixture Modern(Danish Blend)"

- Gawith Hoggarth "Exclusiv Plum&Rum"

- Gawith Hoggarth "Exclusiv Black Bourbon"
- Poul Olsens "Livgardens"

- Petersons "Conneseurs choice"

- Century "Vanilla" / "Black Cathy"

- Thomas Ratfords "Sundays Fantasy"

- Gawith Hoggarth "Ennerdale Flake"
- "Revor Plug"

- Germains "Rich Dark Flake"
- Dunhill "Flake"

- Samuel Gawith "Full Virginia Flake"

- Samuel Gawith "Best Brown Flake"

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Shoot, I dunno. Lots.
I distinguish my "cellar" - tobacco that I am deliberately aging - from my collection of "stuff I haven't gotten around to smoking yet". I've got 2 unopened 8 oz tins of Larry's Blend, for example, but they're jsut there - I haven't finished the bulk LB I have in the rotation.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have nothing but food for the zombie apocalypse in my cellar at the moment.
But I've been doing recon the past few months and finally feel comfortable to start placing some big orders now that I've found some things I really enjoy.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Jud,

I keep my opened tins and "opened" bulk upstairs in my office/man cave. I keep unopened tins and jarred bulk (and sometimes part of 100g tins jarred) downstairs in my basement "vice" room under lock and key. These are the tobaccos I am stocking up on to hedge against any governmental crackdown on tobacco, including increases in taxes.

By the way, my vice room holds wine and other alcoholic goodies. I once told my friends that all of my vices were contained in that room until my wife informed me that the room was too small to hold all of my vices. It is impossible to fool one's wife.
Note: I always write the date on cellared tins and jars.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I didn't think I was an oddity here, so I'm assuming some other collectors aren't replying. But I've currently got 700+ tins in my cellar. Most are 2oz./50g, but many are 100g, along with a half-dozen or so pound and half-pound tins. Essentially, if I like a blend -- and I smoke a wide range of English, Balkan, VA, Va/burley mixtures -- I buy a dozen or more tins to store. Other than that, I don't have any special philosophy about cellaring. I'll also add that even though I've got 30-some tins of Penzance, I've discovered that I actually prefer this blend fresh; there's a spicy Oriental zing that it loses after a year or so in the tin.
And, yes, it was fear of losing some favorites that led to my TAD. I started smoking a pipe in 1980, and I'm shocked at how many blends from back then are just gone today.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am closing in on 600 tins and around 35 pounds of bulks. I figure I am around the 100 pound mark right now and have 150 pounds more to go to get to my goal of 250. My list of blends is as follows:
Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Fribourg andd Treyer Vintage

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Solani Silver Flake TR

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake TR

John Aylesbury Sir John Flake TR

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Esoterica Stonehaven

Rotary Navy Cut

Dan Tobacco-Tordenskjold Virginia Slices TR

Petersons Irish Flake

Mac Baren Virginia Flake

Mac Baren Navy Flake
Virginia/Perique Flakes

Escudo

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
I am still on the fence with another few blends as to whether they make the rotation.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Mine's a secret, I tend to like flying under the radar and not drawing attention from the antis and big brother by posting what I have accumulated over the past 20+ years. Seems to me, we bring our little group and this forum more into that spotlight by posting what big hauls we have made. I honestly dont care whats in a person's cellar unless I am planning on helping myself to said cellar LOL. Good preppers never divulge whats in their larder, you might get a glimpse but never the whole picture. Whats in my cellar is probably quite irreleveant to the next guy as our tastes are probably different and vice versa. I am happy for the guys that get the blends that they enjoy, but as far as quantity-wise, I could give a rats patoot.

Aug 14, 2012
cigrmaster: Good work! My goal was 500 cans and about 20 lbs. of bulk. The stuff is stashed all over the place so it is hard to inventory, but I am getting close. I want at least 5 years supply and almost have it.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I have a pretty large stash for me, maybe 10 pounds, but unfortunately about 7 pounds are aromatics that I don't know if I will ever smoke. Might come in handy for trading during the apocalypse... My "good" stash is constantly growing though so ask me again in a year. :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Harris, foggymountain,
How much do you guys smoke? 500 tins = c. 5-years supply (for foggymountain)??? 100 tins a year...that's a tin every three days or so. Wowzer. I bet I haven't gone through a dozen tins this year, not including a few ounces in bulk (like SG and GH flakes).
I guess one's cellar needs depend in large part on how much one smokes. I only have 3 or 4 tins of FVF and a tin of SG Best Brown LOL!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
beewrangler, not discussing what is in your cellar is your prerogative, I could care less about anti's and big brother because there is nothing illegal about my cellar. I am sure the anti's are not going to park themselves in front of my house and demand to see my cellar. I spent a dozen years on a cigar forum talking about Cuban cigars and discussing stashes and big brother did not show up to seize my 3000 Cuban cigars. Trust me, they don't care.
foggy, I am like you, I have my stuff all over my house. I was able to figure out what I had by going through my orders. I have 3 large plastic containers under my bed that hold about 100 tins each, I then have my night stands which are really big ones and the bottom two draws are filled with tins. I then have plastic containers that I store in my built in wall unit in my living room, and then I have my bulks on the top shelf of my closet and in the living room unit. One day I will take a detailed inventory when I think I am at the 200 pound level to see what I need for the last 50.
Pitchfork, I smoke at least 4 bowls a day so figure 3 grams per bowl equals 12 grams a day. Multiply that by 365 gives you 4380 grams a year which equals 9.65 pounds per year. If I want a 25 year stash, I figure I need 250 pounds. I figure am at ten years now, but if I stopped buying and smoked for the next ten, the prices will be triple ten years from now so it behooves me to stock up now.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've always been a 'smoke what you buy' kind of guy, so I've never had much of a cellar. However in the last year or so I've made an effort to buy two tins, smoke one and sock the other away.
So by now I probably have a few dozen tins stored; mostly McClelland's brands like Celebrated Sovereign, Blue Mountain, Wilderness, British Woods and my go-to favorite, Arcadia. A few other odds and ends and some 10+ year old bulk 5100.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
foggymountain wrote:

cigrmaster: Good work! My goal was 500 cans and about 20 lbs. of bulk. The stuff is stashed all over the place so it is hard to inventory, but I am getting close. I want at least 5 years supply and almost have it.

:worship:

It is obvious to me that I have a lot of purchasing/canning ahead of me to approach the cache that some of you have laid up.

I want to have enough to smoke for the rest of my life, let's say 20 or so years, if the Feds put the ca-bosh on all smoking or raise the taxes to make it unaffordable. Foggymountain's store WOULD last me the rest of my life as I can only smoke 1-2 bowls per day due to my tongue bite problem (I am working on this problem). I envy you pipe smokers that have an "all day smoke" tobacco and can literally smoke all day.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bigvan, you may want to start loading up big time. Between the FDA and the states going after internet sales, it will only be a matter of time before prices are double then triple. There are already states not allowing on line tobacco sales. if that happens with every state then we will be at the mercy of state taxes. Here in Florida it is 85% added to the wholesale price.
flyguy, what blends are biting you? My list above are all no bite flakes. I am very sensitive to tongue bite because of a body chemistry thing, you may also be the same way. If you try a tin say of Dunhill flake and are still getting tongue bite, then it will definitely be your technique that is causing it. It maybe you are not drying your tobacco enough also. The Dunhill comes ready to smoke with no drying time.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
My cellar is a coleman cooler(for now). Every time the issue of the antis and the government attacking our abilities to purchase and enjoy our products, it gets my TAD going......
This is my collection since March (aside from about 14 opened tins and like 10 opened jars)

Untitled-37.jpg

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@cigrmaster:English Blends bite me very little, especially if I smoke them in a Calabash. It is the Virginia Flakes that give me trouble. I love Blackwoods and VaPers such as McC Beacon and Beacon Extra. These are two very tasty flakes and I can't lay off of them. If I dry them out thoroughly and smoke them very slowly, I get bite less but I still get bit. I think I need to take a week or two off and heal-up completely. Some of the no-bite flakes that you suggest have bitten me in the past. I think if I heal up completely and concentrate on my technique, I will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.