PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
So if the FDA does not regulate alcohol, why does it regulate tobacco?
From the linked article below:
Michele Simon, a public health lawyer, author of Appetite for Profit, and president of Eat Drink Politics told me the reason that beer companies don’t disclose ingredients is simple: they don’t have to.
“Ingredient labeling on food products and non-alcoholic beverages is required by the Food and Drug Administration. But a whole other federal agency regulates beer, and not very well. The Department of Treasury – the same folks who collect your taxes – oversees alcoholic beverages. That probably explains why we know more about what’s in a can of Coke than a can of Bud. You can also thank the alcohol industry, which has lobbied for years against efforts to require ingredient labeling.”
The Shocking Ingredients In Beer
http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/?sb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIVQhVOQ2iM

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
It's gotten so I can't drink beer without fruit in it.

Usually olives, but sometime a squeeze of lime, or a slice of Orange.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
The Treasury Department regulates alcohol simply because it's a lucrative source of revenue. All of the beers that were shown in that video are made by questionable companies to begin with. There are a number of better breweries out there who are much more responsible with their ingredients and their impact on the environment.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
+1 Erich & Sailor.
@ae1pt: LOL ... superb commentary.
Reinheitsgebot!
http://brewery.org/library/ReinHeit.html

Aug 1, 2012
The linked article has ramblings by someone without even the most basic grasp of chemistry and fermentation. I don't think it really helps our cause to give the slightest bit of attention to this drivel.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
This is a very bias site. You can go to any brewery and see the ingredients they use. I love brewery tours. The brew masters will often drink a beer with you. Look I am not big on GMO products either, but its been going on for 30 years now and if you buy food at grocery stores or eat fast food you eat lots of GMO food products. The same goes for any chain restaurant. Basically if you eat anything prepackaged or processed you eat gmo food products. Even if you grow your own you need to read the back of the package to make sure its not GMO. This is just as bad as the yahoos who attack tobacco as the evil cancer devil of death, and paint the tobacco corporations as evil death cults trying to kill everyone in the world.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I love beer. It is one of the few joys of visiting the UK outside of Condor is the beer. I love little country pubs where they brew the stuff on the premises and you can see it all happening through a window in the bar floor. Beer in the US can be a little challenging although Sam Adams is a very good stab at a sort of British beer.

Aug 14, 2012
True. It is sad that I have had to stop drinking beer because of the GMO. I do wonder about Coors Banquet. Does anyone know if it contains GMO? Their light does. For those that don't know, GMO means genetically modified, and is considered carcinogenic. It should be outlawed.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Personally, I just like to know what the ingredients are if I'm going to ingest something...but I'm funny that way. It seems completely reasonable to me that beer companies should disclose the ingredients in their product.
For those who are not concerned about things like GMO's, high fructose corn syrup, etc., wonderful...drink up and enjoy...don't worry, be happy!
For those like me who actually question such things, there are non-gmo beers. Below is some basic info...I'm sure you can find more as well:
Non GMO Beer

http://tryorganicliving.com/drink-these-a-non-gmo-beer-list

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I could never wrap my head around this idea of placing slices of orange, lime, etc. in beer.

If you have to do that to enjoy a beer you're either not drinking the right beer, or you shouldn't be drinking beer in the first place.

Sacrilegious I say! :wink:

Aug 1, 2012
You guys do know that high-fructose corn syrup ferments completely right? When it's in a beer it only acts as a neutral adjunct and becomes nothing but ethanol and other yeast byproducts (like CO2 and fusels). You really want to freak out about a beer ingredient? Then you should look at the phenolic compounds that are a direct result of natural fermentation.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Want to know what is in your beer? Make it! Nothing taste better than cracking a keg of your own.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Well Phil67, I guess ya never had a beer out side of the USA. Many places world wide drink beer with herbs and fruit in it. Ireland is one of those places, they put sticks and leaves in a warm stout.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lately, I like Fat Tire a lot. I'm not sure how widely distributed it is. I get it at a slightly upscale

(mostly for the neighborhood) pizza place not far from home. I like the pizza because you can

get thin crust, which is more like the Italians do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.