What's Good About P&C

(65 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by mcitinner1
  • Latest reply from toobfreak
  1. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yesterday P&C started sending apology emails that included a $50 bonus code to use at check out.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bet a tech guy has his head on display on a pike at the front door of P&C.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good for you, I didn't even get a reply

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I received the same email and coupon. I didn't have any orders withthem during the IPSD debacle, so I think they're just going down the customer list and blasting out apologies and coupons.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I received mine and it is good until 7/31/17! Thank you P&C.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got it too. Good CS.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, nothing here but I did not make any IPSD orders.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing but catalogs from them, they all go in the garage now. Don't even care about the coffee, what happened to my tobacco?

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

What's Good About P&C

Absolutly nothing. No email here, and still no reimbursement for my double charged order.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your garage must be a treasure trove!

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meant garbage, same difference, the garage is full of crap too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The partial order I received is marked "processing" on my account page, my second order that I never received is marked "delivered". Well done P&C, well done.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As competitive as online retail in pipes and pipe tobacco is, I think the profit margin must be slim, and the margin for error too. Two good things about P&C are best prices on new Stanwell pipes, good pricing on Big Ben pipes, and to mention two others, Russ O.'s presence as a blending guru and availability of some blends not carried many or any other places. I won't repeat the complaint column, but I hope they can get it back in the road. No coupon here. I may not have processed an order recently enough. I hope these problems don't "do in" one of the larger online retailers for pipes and tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. snowhill

snowhill

Login to Send PM

I didn't receive the email/coupon from P&C.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

In this day and age it's rare for a person and or company to admit fault on something they could of diverted and blamed on a subcontractor, IT dept etc. the apology was enough to get me back the coupon is a nice jesture

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got the same one from cigars.com.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

I was apparently lucky enough to get the email. $50.00 of free baccy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Got the same Apology notice yesterday. Put in an order. It shipped this morning. P&C is making an effort to mend fences. Since I experienced only a slight delay on one order I don't have any complaints. I guess I'm just unlucky because in the vast scheme of things, a two week delay on an order of tobacco just doesn't seem like much of a deal compared to real issues I and others have had to deal with over the past couple of years. I do appreciate the gesture on the part of P&C.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No coupon. No email.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never and I mean NEVER, received a code or anything from them. I don't expect to get one either. My IPSD order shipped but the invoice said it shipped with coffee. It didn't.

With all these sales and now a coupon, I think they must have noticed a considerable drop in orders.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't get the email but it doesn't really apply to me either. I came here to say something good about them though cause they just sent me out a replacement 8 oz tin of Plum Pudding. Weirdest thing.... Early on I really fell in love with Plum Pudding so I bought a large stock of it in 2012. Well I just got to opening the last 8 oz tin that I purchased in 2012 and it turns out that it was actually Mississippi River that they mistakenly labeled Plum Pudding. I sent out an email to both Seattle Pipe Club and P&C to let them know of my situation and with no questions asked they just took my word for it and sent me out a replacement tin of some new Plum Pudding. Of course I lost 5 years that I can't get back but ya gotta applaud them for making it right, so good on them. I also wouldn't complain if I got the $50 coupon either but I really didn't do anything to deserve it. All in all P&C has always done right by me.

This is a thread I had started about the Plum Pudding mix up if any of you are interested in seeing the results. I had sent out large samples of the blend to those who had experience with both MR and PP to see what they thought of it. In short, we all agreed that it was MR.

Plum Pudding 2012

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I like everything about P&C. Sure they make mistakes occasionally, but who doesn't? And they are always fast about fixing them. Life time customer here.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

My Mom always said, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Cue the crickets...

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Squeaky cricket gets the tobacco...

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone had posted that the coffee was nothing to write home about. It was free and while supplies lasted anyway, so I see no room for complaints surrounding the coffee. =)

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay. I'll be that guy.

What's going on?

I'm reading P&C had a meltdown, a young pipe intern was sacrificed and now some smokers are getting Grant coupons in the mail.

If you're a victim, and haven't heard from them, throw out the dye, ignite a flare and start yelling, "Over here! Over here!" This is a classy company, folks. They apparently misfired and are trying to straighten the trail. Why not help them out?

I'm in IT sales and average a once a week screwing of the pooch. I fall on my sword, blame a co-worker, and make things right. I've experienced screw ups from P&C, Smoking Pipes, Cup O'Joes, Marscigars and JRcigars. Shit happens and every one of these companies fall over backward to make it right.

P&C is gearing up for a big sale day and delivery goes sideways? They'll get a pass because of Russ O. He'll always be the face of this company because he's out there: working the shows, answering the phone, weighing in here. He's also one of the nicest guys any mother loving son of us will ever meet in our entire lives.

Be grateful,

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"If you're a victim, and haven't heard from them, throw out the dye, ignite a flare and start yelling, "Over here! Over here!" This is a classy company, folks. They apparently misfired and are trying to straighten the trail. Why not help them out?"

Sent off emails and spent countless hours over 7 weeks just trying to get put on hold, after 45 minutes I'm out of patience/minutes and have actual things to do since I'm not paid for the time wasted hounding down my order. They know my address and keep sending catalogs though. Would have already placed another order or two had mine actually been fulfilled, and I don't care about the coffee I want the tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

They apparently misfired and are trying to straighten the trail. Why not help them out?

Because I have never gotten a correct order from them, and after deciding to give them one last try on IPSD and being double charged, it was the last straw.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why not help them out?

They don't ship to Canada so I drive over an hour and cross an international border to be disappointed

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

Come on now the tittle is what's good about p & c

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tittle? Really? Proofreading is your friend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tittle - "a tiny amount or part of something."

Maybe it is what they meant? They're good for a tiny amount or part of something?

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, divided order and no email or coupon.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Checking out their new website format, and ouch. It was bad enough to navigate before, now it's basically a lot worse.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is my first post about P&C since the whole snafu started:

I didn't place an order during IPSD, so wasn't out anything and didn't get double-charged, or have an order delayed or any other problems. But I watched the unbelievable failing many of the rest here had to slog through. My account shows only four orders in 2016.....that totaled over $1,000 purchased from P&C. It's the many silent (until now) customers like me they should really be worried about. Because I have no plans to spend any more with them. Since I started tracking my purchases at tobaccocellar.com I've spent over $6,000 on pipe tobacco. And P&C is permanently off my list of trusted vendors now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ouch.

They better be in damage control right quick.

I feel bad for you guys and every bit as bad that P&C has slipped just as far.

Fnord

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've only had good experiences with P&C. But man, if their website isn't a chore to navigate. It has actually been quite some time since I've ordered from them because it's just not as easy to navigate and find what you're looking for as some other sites. In fact they would be wise to adopt a system more like Smokingpipes, which is so much easier to navigate and find what I'm looking for.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  39. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now it's back to normal, with the "sidebar of frustration" as I like to call it. I'll take the sidebar.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not much. Communication is lousy. Orders placed, then product doesn't show. No notice, no nothing..

Gets a little tiresome. They are cheaper, usually, so there's that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't place an order during IPSD, so wasn't out anything and didn't get double-charged, or have an order delayed or any other problems. But I watched the unbelievable failing many of the rest here had to slog through. My account shows only four orders in 2016.....that totaled over $1,000 purchased from P&C. It's the many silent (until now) customers like me they should really be worried about. Because I have no plans to spend any more with them.

Out of curiosity I checked my P&C purchases and they totaled $2267.06 in total for 2016. I have made no purchases from them in 2017.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Me either. I think Russ is a tribute to the pipe smoking activity and would like to support P&C. But, they remind me of Relapse Records in the late 1990s, namely that the stoners in the order fulfillment area don't get it right, and the support staff can't or won't correct the problem, which makes many of us wonder if the 10% lower price is worth the much greater risk of damaged merch.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Screw them, I got into it with them about crappy shipping an damaged tins, in the end I was sent a discount code, deleted it and took my business to other sites, haven't gone back and don't intend to

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  44. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking quickly at their pricing on a few common blends, and they are just about as, or in some cases more expensive than SP right now.

I have a theory about P&Cs dented tins. They may get them from the distributor already dented for a very low price to see if they will stick as they sell. Personally, I've gotten somewhere between 5% and 10% dented tins from them, usually the boxes appear undamaged, and it does not bother me as long as the tins are still sealed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"they are just about as, or in some cases more expensive than SP right now."

That's because Smoking Pipes just lowered their prices several days ago. (maybe 2 weeks) THEY ARE LISTENING, and because of that, I am buying from them again.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

I never had a problem with them, and placed a bunch of orders last year. My IPSD order was half shipped and havent heard anything since. No response to two emails either. BUT - I get that mistakes happen, they arent off my list and ill order from them again when the need arises. I hope they get some Trout Stream made again soon...

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  47. spartan99

spartan99

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"they are just about as, or in some cases more expensive than SP right now."

That's because Smoking Pipes just lowered their prices several days ago. (maybe 2 weeks) THEY ARE LISTENING, and because of that, I am buying from them again.

I haven't noticed much difference in pricing between the two sites over the past few years, with the exception of C&D bulk and Lane bulk sales. When I got SPC's e-mail saying they'd lowered their prices, I went to check a couple of blends and the price was the same as it had been a couple of days ago. Maybe I haven't been looking at the right stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As mentioned on another thread, P&C says they are eating the PA Tobacco Sales Tax of 55¢ an ounce. That is fine and good, certainly not good for their bottom line, but probably necessary to try to stay competitive, especially in light of recent events. Still, I appreciate their doing it.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  49. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a theory about P&Cs dented tins. They may get them from the distributor already dented for a very low price to see if they will stick as they sell.

Your theory is unsupported by fact.

I've been in the P&C/CI warehouse and have seen their entire operation. All tinned tobacco is new direct from the manufacturer. It is a sight to behold. Aisle after aisle of cases and shrink-wrapped rolls of factory fresh tins of your favorite tobaccos. In fact, a lot of what P&C sells is manufactured by either their parent company (STG) or their sister company (Lane Ltd.) and shipped to them directly.

Now, their shipping protocols do leave something to be desired. Why they can't package tins so that they don't rattle around in the box is beyond me. And I know it's a source of great frustration for Russ and Eric at P&C. They don't control the shipping department, they can only suffer the slings and arrows from outraged customers when dented tins arrive on their doorsteps.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't received anything.

I had an order of LBF and LTF for 1.5lb each on backorder. Eventually my order completely disappeared from their system and at the same time they had become available so I then placed another order which I promptly received. I created a customer service request asking why in the hell my order was gone. Not just cancelled but gone from their system. After about a month they just closed it and never responded.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  51. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been in the P&C/CI warehouse and have seen their entire operation.

Thank you woods for giving us some real information over wistful conjecture.

After about a month they just closed it and never responded.

Offhand fitzy, I'd say it sounds like you were another victim of whatever software gremlins they've suffered. Hopefully, this sort of crap is being put behind them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had no response from them, none I haven't ordered all that much from them in the past but after this I'm thinking SPC will be getting all of my business.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why they can't package tins so that they don't rattle around in the box is beyond me. And I know it's a source of great frustration for Russ and Eric at P&C.

You mean that order fulfilment staff, across all industries, tend to be stoners? Haha!

I wish 'em the best of luck.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think that P&C's packaging problems lie with the individual employees.

FWIW, Amazon is MUCH worse than P&C. Did I say MUCH worse? And I know for a fact that their employees are drug tested.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had good luck with Amazon, although of course I stopped using it because of the boycott.

You think P&C prohibits employees from packing well? Interesting.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"You think P&C prohibits employees from packing well?"

No, I think that their employees perform their jobs as they are instructed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ouch! I.E. "saving money."

What a shame. It seems to explain some of the exodus from P&C. We like our stuff to arrive intact.

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been a very long time since I worked in a shipping department, but there are usually well established guidelines and practices that are specifically tailored to the types of materials (products) being shipped. The boss doesn't just say "Hey Dan, mail this to Deathmetal, wouldja?"

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never had a problem with them for many years, until their software problem.
    I buy cigars from 2 other sites & they had the same software issues, issued me the same email apologies, assuming it was an industry specific program.
    I know that if it were my company I would be more pissed off than anyone here, because I let my customers down.
    And I have no affiliations except a happy customer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you don't mind saying, what were those other two cigar sites?

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cigars. com & Maybe JR?

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cigar.com is part of the CI/P&C operations, served out of the same warehouse. JR owned by Altadis and is unrelated to CI/P&C

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

woodsroad

Your theory is unsupported by fact.

Well the facts are that dented tins get to the customers, and not much has been done on the packing end of things, and at least up until recently their prices had been significantly lower than others on many things, so it made it easier to speculate that maybe it is because they can't do anything to safely pack tins that are already dented. They have to stay in business, and that would be a perfectly acceptable way to save some money. As I said before, dented tins don't really bother me. I've only ever received 5 to 10 % dented, none have ever been split open, and I have never sent any back, and I will never bother unless they are split. My comment was more in their defense, offering one reasonable explanation. So, that being said, and since others know more than I do about the business end of it, it would be interesting to know the actual fate of any dented tins that get sent back to the retailer. What do they do with them, and what happens to them after that?

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Russ could best answer the question of the fate of returned dented tins, but I think that some of that stuff ends up being "testers" in the office. But none of it gets sent back out to customers. Did you know that the P&C merchandising folks are allowed to smoke at their desks? Life of Riley, I tell you. P&C/CI has a "scratch and dent" sale at their retail locations from time to time, and I do see humidors and pipe racks there at substantial savings, but never dented tobacco tins. Maybe I get there too late?

Posted 2 years ago #
  65. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was young I worked in a shipping department for a time and all it took was two eyes and common sense to do a decent job of packing things well. I didn't need any special policy.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   yuda, brooklynpiper, krizzose, trouttimes, dontbeaburleyman, alaskanpiper, mossdoug, jpmcwjr, pipeanddrum, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob, metzmo, dmcmtk