Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Whats Going On With TV?

(41 posts)
  1. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't look at TV much and can see why. Anyone really like the shows that's on now days or am I missing something?

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're missing nothing I'm aware of.

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

am I missing something?

Nope.

I watch mostly Science, and History these days...
    I can't stand any of the "Sitcoms".

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. reichenbach

reichenbach

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like anything, you must select carefully and anything worthwhile is usually few and far between.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. steyrshrek

steyrshrek

Login to Send PM

Most stuff on Network Tv sucks, but AMC, Showcase and HBO are doing some good stuff, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Homeland, Royal Pains and Strike Back

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. grizzly86

grizzly86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope. Every time I go to a friend of family member's house I am reminded why I don't pay for TV. Most of it is the lowest form of trash I could imagine.

Posted 7 years ago #
  7. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just listen to the radio most of the time.To much garbage on the tube to suit me..

"the weez"...
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My only escape from housewives of......where ever, is when my little guy gets to watching Phineas and ferb... but Football season is just around the corner.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but Football season is just around the corner.

Thank God.

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I find on cable, there are shows like never seen before on television, a real break from the network crap shoved down our throats since the 70's. Examples:
    1. Breaking Bad, on AMC is one of the best television shows I've ever seen (ranks up next to "The Wire" in my book).
    2. Mad Men is very well written and I enjoy every episode
    3. Hell on Wheels is probably the best western I've seen on television
    (All these are on AMC...)
    4. Southland on TNT is one of the best cop shows I've seen in a long time (close to "Homicide" quality).
    5. Battlestar Galactica on SyFy was the best science fiction show ever on television. Sadly, the SyFy channel has not been able to come up with any suitable replacement.
    6. I don't have premium channels, but get the "Dexter" series each season thru Netflix. It is a very good show.
    7. I never miss an episode of "The Walking Dead", very well written and acted.
    8. Falling Skies on TNT isn't bad

Before you think I don't watch network tv, well, I don't much but "Lost" held my rapt attention thru every season. This past season, I only watched "The River" on network tv. (it was OK)

Back track 15 years ago and I'd be hard pressed to come up with any decent television shows. Homicide for sure and perhaps NYPD Blue. Pressure from the cable folks has made everyone step up their game, my opinion.

Al

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope. Every time I go to a friend of family member's house I am reminded why I don't pay for TV. Most of it is the lowest form of trash I could imagine.

This says it all. I'm always complaining about TV to my sister. I mean, "16 and Pregnant". Now, who wants to watch that junk. Then you have the History Channel that airs "Ice Road Truckers or "Ax Men". What is there about history with those shows? If it's a History channel, there would be history oriented. Then you've got AMC network that shows CSI Miami one right after the other. That's not a movie. Commercials are what really hack me off. They go on and on and on...If it wasn't for the great reception I'd tell Comcast to come get their box and just use their Internet service. TV for sure sucks.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. steyrshrek

steyrshrek

Login to Send PM

Al looks like we have pretty similar tastes in TV. I left out Falling Skies and Southland but love them. Falling Skies is getting interesting with the Skidders rebelling.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hells Fire,I didn't have cable till they came out with that digital shit.I'm out in the country and with the didgital,I lost all the channels I had gotten with rabbit ears.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. goontoe

Scott

Login to Send PM

I second or third the Breaking Bad suggestion. By far it is the best show I have ever watched on television. The writing, acting, directing are all top notch. The first of the final 16 episodes of the series starts on Sunday. 8 episodes this summer and then the final 8 episodes air next summer. It will be sorely missed when it is all over.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. choch

choch

Login to Send PM

Amen to what Ace57 wrote. Even cable channels like Discovery, TLC and A&E (which once stood for "Arts & Enterainment TV" believe it or not) have been ruined by the plague of reality show garbage. If it weren't for Netflix and a few good shows like those mentioned above, and movies on the excellent TCM, I wouldn't even watch TV. We watch some excellent series out of the UK like Foyle's War, Doc Martin, A Touch Of Frost, etc and vintage TV shows like The Rockford Files (one of the best shows ever on TV IMHO) on Netflix Streaming.

"I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking tobacco and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them."
    Winston Churchill, Said during lunch with Arab leader Ibn Saud, when he heard the king's religion forbade smoking and alcohol
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I should add that I hate reality programming and avoid it like the plague. I don't think I've every seen a reality program and hope to keep that streak alive. I'll read vs. watch that crap.

I'm a cheapskate and old school, so no fancy DVR for me. I still have a couple of VCR's and tape most shows, than blow thru the commercials. AMC has very limited commercials, so they are good to watch live.

The wife has been watching the new "Dallas", but I find it to be pure garbage.

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mad Men, Dexter, and The Walking Dead are some of the best shows ever put on television! There is some quality stuff out there. You just have to take the time to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Posted 7 years ago #
  18. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I watch Burn Notice pretty religiously on Thursdays in the summer on USA Network. It's a great show if you like spy type stuff. American Pickers in History Channel is pretty good as well.

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. mikemacrdlnds

mikemacrdlnds

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doc Martin, my wife is watching it right now, Modern Family, movies, tv shows on Netflix, AMC, TCM, Baseball, Grand Slam Tennis, that about it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  21. photoman13

photoman13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3 Shows I watch Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead. Best three shows on tv. Other than that it is just Netflix.

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. irish2fish

irish2fish

Login to Send PM

I haven't had TV for over 2 years now, I don't feel like I have missed much.

God loves the Infantry!
    Posted 7 years ago #
  23. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Sons of Anarchy, Walking Dead and pretty much anything about serial killers. I used to love a show called Brimstone, featuring John Glover as the Devil. Awesome show, but it got cancelled. Believe it or not, I also followed Joan of Arcadia! That show got canned just as it was hitting its stride, I thought.

I'm a bit of an oddball as I don't watch sports, except Gold Cup and World Cup football (soccer, for my fellow Americans).

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  24. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only religiously watch the walking dea, other than that I switch between discovery, hiistory and comedy central. Period. Hopefully I can watch something there, usually I read though

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  25. lankfordjl

lankfordjl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We don't own a TV (I guess it's been about 8 years now), but we have internet and watch Netflix shows from time to time. I find it difficult to talk to some people - since I have no idea what programs are showing now. The last time we had a TV, the most popular show was "Who Wants to be a Millionaire".

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." -Mark Twain-
    "A pipe helps a wise man to think and gives a fool something to put in his mouth" -Trischman's Paradox-
    "Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim;...but I discipline my body and make it my slave." -1Cor 9-
    Posted 7 years ago #
  26. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are lots of great shows! At the moment I like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, The Office, Parks & Recs and Big Bang Theory. I'm also watching Supernatural, starting from season 1.

Pawn Stars, Whale Wars, Masterchef (the british version), Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares are other ones I enjoy if they happen to be on when I turn on the TV.

Why do I think the last decade has been a true golden age for TV? (Shows like House, Band of Brothers among many others)

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure if they've been mentioned, but Justified and Sherlock (BBC/PBS) are consistently great.

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The new Sherlock series is excellent.

Posted 7 years ago #
  29. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

not missing much if I dont have AM talk raido on I have the history discovery or military channel on.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  30. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Cheap sensationalism, brainwashing Sheeple and offering programming just entertaining enough to keep them from noticing how far the wool is being pulled over their eyes.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  31. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We ditched cable when we moved into the apartment 5 months ago, and honestly, I don't miss it in the slightest. I pay $8 a month for a Netflix subscription, and that keeps me more than happy. Between a few pretty decent movies and a lot of old TV shows that I enjoy and can watch any time, it's good enough for me. I was at my parents house last night and watched an episode of Charlie Sheens new show "Anger Management." That dude and everyone associated with that show needs to hang it up immediately if not sooner.

Posted 7 years ago #
  32. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cheap sensationalism, brainwashing Sheeple and offering programming just entertaining enough to keep them from noticing how far the wool is being pulled over their eyes

More like connoisseurs of fine entertainment.

Posted 7 years ago #
  33. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty much the only thing I look forward to is Beavis & Butthead. Anything else is just cannon fodder to fill up time. World Of Jenks is good too.

Posted 7 years ago #
  34. dburrows

Chris

Login to Send PM

+1

Cheap sensationalism, brainwashing Sheeple and offering programming just entertaining enough to keep them from noticing how far the wool is being pulled over their eyes. [:wink:]

+1

I find it difficult to talk to some people - since I have no idea what programs are showing now.

+1

We don't have cable. We do have Netflix and watch a few shows but that's minimal.

We were visiting my parents last week and watched some show on DIY called 'Kitchen Crashers' and I thought 'What the hell has happened to people's attention spans?!?' because this show couldn't focus on a single item without the camera moving, zooming, rotating or flashing for more than 2 seconds. Between that and the constant sexual innuendo's (really, it's a kitchen renovation show...) I was happily reaffirmed in our decision to be cable free.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. -- C. S. Lewis, Theologian, Philosopher, Professor, Pipe smoker.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  35. 85royals

85royals

Login to Send PM

I have a Roku streaming device I get Netflix Hulu+ Acorn tv(British) thats all I pay for so I can catch up on any shows that way. I went from paying $160+ a month for cable and internet to less then $40 a month really the only thing I miss about cable TV is Baseball.. I like to take a lazy day and watch 4 or 5 episodes of what ever TV show I may be in to all at once.. and with this Roku I get over 100 free channels that have movies and sports and TVshows like Seinfeld Barney Miller ect ect those are on Crackle so I'm happy with what I watch I think what some people watch is crap but I dont have to watch it with them very often

I Am what I Am
    Posted 7 years ago #
  36. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally, I only watch the MTV. You know, for all the good "music" programming!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  37. wayneteipen

wayneteipen

Login to Send PM

"The Walking Dead" on AMC is about the only thing worth watching these days (although the comic book is better.) I don't watch much TV anymore either.

Posted 7 years ago #
  38. kabong30

kabong30

Login to Send PM

I must admit that we watch some garbage from time to time. Anything Gordon Ramsey is OK by us. Can't wait for that Hotel Hell show to start. We watch Walking Dead of course. Netflix is a great thing as we can pick and choose, we're waiting for the second season of Sherlock to show up there and I'm watching the Jeremy Brett incarnation in the meantime. There's good TV out there to be found, it just takes a little effort I guess.

Posted 7 years ago #
  39. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like old westerns. Time was they had half a dozen on each week like Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, and Death Valley Days. I guess your likes/dislikes in TV is like everything else-depends on your taste and age primarily. Sitcoms are about as stupid as it gets. Some of the best I've seen on TV this past year have been Band of Brothers, The Green Mile, Titanic discoveries and The Hatfield's and McCoy's. I'd like to see the Lone Riders again or Once Upon a Time in the West. Those are excellent movies.

Posted 7 years ago #
  40. cacooper

cacooper

Login to Send PM

Greetings all,

TCM. Turner Classic Movies is about all I sit down and watch anymore.

And, of course, Top Gear(UK) on BBC America. Best show on TV!

Just a reminder:
    TCM is showing the best pipe smoking movie of all time, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse, this Sunday, July 15th at 4:30pm EST.

CACooper

Posted 7 years ago #
  41. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love that movie. I have it in my classics section on our media server (a Boxee + network drive + HD TV setup).

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, cdmjr, jpmcwjr, jaytex969, laniromee, jiminks, danimalia