PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Pipe is a straight billiard briar pipe. Italian basket. Original bowl size was about .700 diameter x 1.50 deep. Now caked up and only about .350 diameter or less. I like the cake for a quick smoke and don't really want to ream but if that will make it smoke drier, than I will. This is my quicky smoker. The stem and tenon is a little strange in that it almost seems like a filter pipe originally, only I don't know of any filter that would work as the diameter is only about .200. I'm mentioning this because maybe this large gap creates condensation? It also probably contributes to the great draw on this pipe which I love and the pipe makes large volumes of smoke. None of my other pipes collect so much moisture. I smoke dry and don't salivate much when I smoke. I am a clencher, but don't think this is the problem as it would show with my other pipes? I have rested the pipe which doesn't seem to help.
Would modifying the pipe to decrease this space in the stem/tenon stop the moisture? I can never smoke this pipe to the bottom because the tobacco gets so wet, nor form any heel cake whatsoever. I don't want to use philt pads. I do not like my tobacco extra dry, but don't have this problem with any other pipe.
Anyone have any solutions besides living with it? Even though I bought the pipe for $20, I'd be willing to spend money on a solution because I love the way the pipe looks and smokes the first 3/4 of the bowl. Anyone else solved this issue?
Thanks in advance!
I will be honest and admit that before joining this forum I just smoked the hell out of it anyways, but you could say that since joining, my palate has become more refined and I don't enjoy the sour smell anymore!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the cake being so thick, and mostly in the upper area of the bowl, is encouraging the rapid expansion of hot

gases in the region of the bowl below the ember (where unsmoked tobacco soaks up the moisture). The air space in the

stem can also cause condensation of moisture by this process, known as adiabatic expansion.
The thickness of the cake, as you describe it, is potentially harmful to your pipe. Since the cake will heat up much

faster than the walls of the bowl, it may actually split the bowl along a line of wood grain.
This is my quicky smoker.
There should be no such thing in the pipe world -- but do what thou must.

Check out Pipedia on gurgling.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Could be a dozen different reasons mate. Firstly though, if it is your only pipe, it is probably saturated with moisture from not being to sit and "dry out". Baccy could be too damp, could be packed to tight, could be smoking too fast, could be packed too loose causing too many relights. And the list goes on and on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Try drying out the tobacco a little for this pipe. Maybe try this one when you don't have

to clench, to see how it does, see if you are supplying much of the moisture involved instead of it

being from the burning tobacco. Maybe ream it or have it reamed (careful, you can finish off a pipe

if you get overzealous.) It's a puzzle. Let Forums know what happens, if you solve the puzzle.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I really think it's the air space in the stem. That could be fixed, and I will most likely send it in. I don't think it's me because I don't have this issue with my other pipes. I wonder if too much cake causes the moisture as the cake is very hard. I don't want to scrape it yet though as all my pipes have lots of cake and smoke pretty dry. I think I'm going to go with blaming the air space in the stem, and tenon, and send to get the stem replaced or modified, and the tenon shortened as it's a semi canadian style.
I really love this pipe so spending twice the price I originally paid for the pipe to get it fixed is not a moral problem for me, though similar billiards exist and I might just search for a new pipe replacement if I can find one.
I like moist tobacco and prefer a straight pipe so maybe I'll buy a peterson system 31 or a falcon. Never seen a falcon in person though, and online the bowls look too big.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks Harris. I think you're right. I'm going to try some philt pads or something similar, or else I will send to get fixed if possible. I love the look of this pipe more than any pipe I have ever owned or seen, so it's worth it to me even though I bought for twenty bucks. Something about the look of this pipe just screams PIPE. I'll try and put up a pic tomorrow. Straight small bowl billiard semi-canadian rusticated with a saddle bit. Wish I could find another that smoked dry.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bryan, I once owned three pipes from an artisan named Peter Matzhold. All three were gorgeous straight grained pipes with beautiful shapes. Everyone of them smoked wetter than any pipes I ever came across, no matter what I put in them or how dry the tobacco was, they gurgled like a 2 dollar crack whore with a you know what in her mouth. It was infuriating and I ended up getting rid of them. They were just made wrong and at the time( around 2001) I had no knowledge that they could be sent out and maybe be fixed. Sometimes no matter how much you love a pipe, you just have to be prepared that it might always be a wet smoker and it may not be able to be fixed. This might be the case with your pipe.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Thanks guys. I sure hope it can be fixed. I appreciate hearing your experiences. I'm just going to send it out before giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.