PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Bambam's got it. I use one and it works wonders for cleaning cruddy old pipes. You do have to respect the fact that you're working with glass, fire and alcohol but with proper caution they're great.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Captainsousie and Bambam go you covered here wheezy.
I started cleaning up estate pipes before I had a retort, and was able to successfully de-ghost pipes, and clean/sanitize bowls, shanks, mortise and tenon, stems and bits with the right combination of pipe cleaners, q tips, brushes, isopropyl alcohol and patience. The retort does seem to help speed this process up.
Do search youtube and watch how retorts are used, and do follow the safety recommendations of folks that use them regularly.
Cheers,
-- Pat

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The main thing with a retort is to protect your eyes and face, wear a glove on hand holding test tube, hold pipe higher than test tube, you would not believe the so called Clean pipes I"ve retorted that were gross. My wife is a beautician so she gets me the round pads to take fingernail polish off, they are just the right size to cover the bowl. BE CAREFUL if you use one.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The guys above have it right. Using a retort helps a lot. I recently cleaned / unclogged an estate pipe. Probably used close to 100 pipe cleaners and did the salt & alcohol treatment twice. I still had to retort the pipe 3 times before it came out clean.
And don't tell me it's a newbie asking a dumb question
Everyone here is generally nice and I have never seen an newbie admonished for asking a question, no matter how many times it has been asked before. But if you keep asking questions like that, I think the responses to your threads will get fewer and fewer.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
And don't tell me it's a newbie asking a dumb question- Pretty sure that was a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.