PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I keep reading about some of you guys calling a pipe a "poker". What does that mean? Still learning so it's great to have this resource to tap into.
Thanks,

Rick

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
A Poker is a flat bottomed, straight sided pipe. Sits nicely on a table, say for a game of poker. Go to smokingpipes or P&C and do a search for poker to see the shape.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This explains it nicely I think. I love both shapes, but only have one Poker, a David Jones.
Poker.gif

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Nice hackerts! I have one myself and wouldnt mind another. The chambers are huge! I can smoke it for about 2 hours if im going slow. Probably an hour if im going fast

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I really want a nosewarmer poker, similar to the one posted by flyfishn. Change the stem to a tapered shape and it would be exactly what I am looking for. But, I put the family on "DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY UNTIL THE NEXT PAYDAY" Too bad the furnace died before payday. Yes, I have reserves and friends in the industry. But I can't lead my family and spend money on pipes at this point.

Winton

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The poker shape has really grown on me over the past 6 months. I hated that shape when I started and now I want one bad. It is so weird how your tastes can change so quick.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Too bad the furnace died before payday
Me too! Mine has been out for a week, the new one is getting installed right now. Was not planning for this right now, that's for sure.
The poker shape has really grown on me over the past 6 months. I hated that shape when I started and now I want one bad. It is so weird how your tastes can change so quick.
Again...Me too! I have one I just bought, and one on the way. I couldn't stop thinking of pokers for a few weeks when before I never cared for them.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I just bought my first cherrywood. I thought It was a poker, but now that I read this, it has that extra cut along the bottom. Now I know the difference between the two!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Glad to help! I do need a British made poker at some point. A member here just grabbed for himself a lovely Ferndown, but I'll let him make the announcement!

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Great response guys! Thanks for all the input and pictures. I like the look of them and one may be in my future.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
OT (apologies)
photoman,
I've been smoking for just over a year and my tastes in pipe have taken some pretty wild swings. At first I loved BIG pipes, then I got into really small pipes for strong flakes. I used to think Elliott Nachwalter's pipes were just hideous, but now I love them and collect them. Same way with the Danish modernist pipes from the 60's -- used to think they were just plain weird, but now I love them, especially Pipe Dan and old Stanwell shapes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
As for pokers, when I first started smoking it was my favorite shape. I was always on the lookout for a big Ashton poker, preferably in the Old Church or Sovereign finish. Before I found one at the right price, though, I was quickly on to other interests. Stanwell makes great pokers, btw. The featherweight is thought to have been designed by Tom Eltang, but it's a great little smoker for the price.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Glad to help! I do need a British made poker at some point. A member here just grabbed for himself a lovely Ferndown, but I'll let him make the announcement!
Thanks Al. I'll post up some better pics when I get home at the end of the month to receive it and get it shined up.
T2eC16VQE9s3HFftFBQZ0Z75lg60_57.jpg

KGrHqJrF-HEedzBQZ0Z-cC8w60_57.jpg

KGrHqRqwF96VtpGBQZ0B1Nw60_57.jpg

There are some beautiful pokers on this thread. Gratz guys. Very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.