PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
While ive been reading these posts ive noticed that some of these tins i look up are anywhere from 6dollars a can to 100 or more for the nonproduction. Is there anyone that knows of a good decent price tin or even bulk because ive noticed those prices are much more reasonable. Im hoping to get some for the guys in my family so we all can get into it.
my evil plan is to get them started and then try any new ones they get lol :) bwhahahaha

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Im not at the moment, just researching going off of what the forum talks about. I dont even have a pipe yet but working on it.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I was in the same boat not that long ago. I finally decided to avoid the aros, but I keep running into an old timer that gives me a handful of Captain Black White, and I hate to admit it, but it sure is tasty.
In my personal rotation though, I have zero aros and I've learned to appreciate the tastes that good quality tobacco can offer.
Get a decent pipe and buy some decent tobacco, most of the vets around here will tell you the same thing.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Lane 1Q comes in bulk and it's decently priced. It seems to be everyone's first choice as a starting Aromatic. It's pretty good too.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Here's my advice: go to your local B&M. Ask them what they'd recommend in terms of a pipe and a beginner pipe tobacco.

If you don't have a local B&M, get a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe and either some Lane LL-7, Lane RLP-6, or 1-Q.

Have someone show you how to pack the pipe and get started.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
thats a good price, any site you get it from or just where ever its cheaper...
i also found my favorite cigar makes pipe tobacco as well. Cao mx2 is my first cigar love. :)

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Thank you kendo and doc, the closet store that sells anything remotely decent is 30m away from me. all the local puff n snuf shops dont have anything but the really cheap in both quality and price. tried steel cross pip tobacco and it was a mouth full of ash hardly any taste. i had a corncob pip but burnt it during last winter. so i figured id take my time and learn about pipes and tobacco first before buying another.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
novicemaker said:

i also found my favorite cigar makes pipe tobacco as well.
Do you mean that you've learned that CAO makes pipe tobacco? ...

Yes, and not only do they do so, they were well established in that line of products before they began making cigars ...
-OR-
Do you mean that a CAO MX2 itself smokes well in a pipe? ...

On that point, I must disagree ... I've tried cutting a good cigar and smoking it in a pipe ... and THAT didn't translate well at all for the simple reason that in cigar form, the wrapper is highly influential in the taste one gets from the cigar, whereas if a chunk of that same cigar is inserted in a pipe bowl, the wrapper is very NON-influential and the taste is greatly changed in the process ...
Best you follow the advise given by others here and get a decent, but inexpensive pipe (the Missouri Meerschaum Cob is a great suggestion) and experiment with some quality pipe tobacco blends that will offer the sort of smoking satisfaction one derives from a cigar ... keep in mind that there are even more alternatives in the pipe tobacco world than there are in the cigar world and finding the choices that are right for you is an explorative process that can take no small amount of time and effort ... seeking the advise of a good tobacconist in a convenient brick/mortar pipe shop is the best possible means of guiding you through the maze of choices ... after all, what I or anyone else likes (or dislikes) has little or no bearing on what YOU will like and dislike ...

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
If you actually take up pipe smoking I suggest to not go for the cheapest stuff. The best quality tinned pipe tobaccos will cost you about fifty cents a bowl's worth (I'm counting 20 bowls/ $10 for 50gr or 2oz tin) -- the cheapest stuff might be about half of that. Fifty cents for hour's pleasure is not much, I'd say.
I should add that those are US online prices, most of the world pays at least a double, some countries many times more.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
If you are willing to buy bulk, you can get a wide variety of high quality pipe tobacco for very low cost. However you have to buy it in large quantities to get the lowest price, and you'll need some fairly inexpensive equipment to store it in. So your up-front cash outlay might be more than you bargained for, but if you amortize it over the long run you'll definitely be saving money. Quality bulk tobacco at Pipes and Cigars can be as low as $1.50/oz, while tins will cost you $5.00+/oz.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you actually take up pipe smoking I suggest to not go for the cheapest stuff. The best quality tinned pipe tobaccos will cost you about fifty cents a bowl's worth (I'm counting 20 bowls/ $10 for 50gr or 2oz tin) -- the cheapest stuff might be about half of that. Fifty cents for hour's pleasure is not much, I'd say.
You are singing my song,brother jarit. Smoke the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford. It will enhance your smoking experience.

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
I would recommend Orlik Golden Sliced. Very affordable at $6 to $7 a tin. I might compare the flavor to a mild cigar. If you want something with a sweeter flavor go with Lane's 1-Q.

I also like MO Meerschaum Corn Cob pipes. Much better than a cheap briar pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I would also recommend the Sutliff blends. Decent stuff for beginners and experienced smokers and the price point is very good. Go to their site and take the blend test to see how you match up.

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
+1 on The Sutliff Perfect Match System. The first bowl I had of my recommended blend I was unimpressed. But I ran out a few weeks ago and wish I had a pinch every time I pick up a pipe. I'm getting a few more tins on the next shipment.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I suggest going to one of the sponsors of this site. They are listed on the left side of the page. Some of them have a beginners kit, that includes a pipe, tamper, and some tobacco blends. That would be the way to start. Also they should have deals on several different blends. Buying an oz or two of five blends would be a great way to start.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My best friend and I have both smoked for over 40 years. We have some beautiful pipes and a wide selection of tobacco. For some reason when we get together, we both smoke an MM cob with Lane 1Q.
I agree, when you definately decide that you are going to become a pipe smoker, save up your money and buy a good pipe (possibly an estate from a reputable dealer listed on the left). Until then, buy 2 MM cobs (NOT Chinese) and bulk tobacco. I would recommend Lane 1Q and Trout Stream from 4noggins, or call Rich and talk with him about a sampler for $20.
The reason you want 2 cobs is that you have a rotation - smoke one, let it rest, smoke the other. You'll have less than $50 invested in pipes and tobacco. Make your decision if it's for you and then watch out! You'll never have enough tobacco or pipes!

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
+1 conlejm

I do recommend Pipes And Cigars.com too. Lane 1Q and Newminster is good too.

But little more level up highly recommend Scotty's HPCS Trout Steam,16oz/25 bucks.

Mixture of golden and sweet black cavendish, rich butterscotch aroma and smooth flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.