PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I recently picked up a Comoy's pipe and restored it. While looking around the internet for reaming tools I came across this pipe at pipesandcigars.com. My question is what is the difference between that pipe and the one that I restored? Is there a model that is a Magnum and a Lumberman or do they just call it a Magnum because it is so long? The demensions appear to be the same. My pipe says COMOY'S LUMBERMAN on the top side of the shank. It says Made in London England and 311 on the bottom side about halfway between the bowl and the stem. There is also the letter G stamped on the bottom side of the shank right next to the stem. There appears to be a few fills on the side of the bowl on my pipe, but other than that it is in great shape. There also used to be a C on the side of the stem but it looks like the white wore off. Here is mine. Sorry for the fuzzy pics, all I have is an Iphone.

4a1d1c6a-7c5c-47d1-86b8-4d5e2ae99311_zps2000997f.jpg

444cf094-5e92-4528-95d3-bc42d2f77635_zps8f7ab850.jpg

89bc5e19-62c9-40bb-b748-ddbac09ba6cc_zps98aba7ca.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, my understanding is that,Comoy's of London made two popular Canadians. The popular oval shanked 296 which you see on eBay quite a bit. And the much longer 311 that you have here. There were even bigger Comoy Canadians and these were stamped Extraordinaire, but are much rarer. The C on pre-Cadogan are three part inlaid affairs that never wear off. This was discontinued in the mid to late 70s where a lasered or painted C was installed. Which can be buffed off. Between the two periods there was a single C insert. If you don't see a C on an early Comoy this means a replacement stem. Unless you have a later one where this was rubbed off. On the blasted lines, on the under side of the shank, Comoy often took more liberties with the stamping. For instance I have a 311 smooth Comoy Tradition does not say Lumberman but looks like yours in every way except finish. Mine's a Blue Riband. I have about 30 Comoys. My best smokers.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
The one at P&C is listed as a Lovat (round shank). Judging by the size it is abt a group 4. The weight is light for the size indicating good briar. I am not sure about the magnum or the G.
Yours is a lumberman (oval shank, saddle stem). Check the dimensions to compare with the listed pipe. Nice job on the restoration.
:clap:

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Great information! I never noticed the pipe in the link having a round shank until you pointed it out but it sure does. My pipe is the same length, but appears to have a slightly smaller bowl, with a 7/8 inner diameter. There was a C on the stem at one point, but it has worn off. It would appear that this pipe will be a great smoker but I wanted to get my story straight as it will likely either be sold to a friend or listed on BriarBid.

Status
Not open for further replies.