What would've really happened?

(25 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by undecagon
  • Latest reply from banjobob
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In anticipation for the sequel, I have had Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes on at home in the background while doing work a lot lately. There are two scenes that bother me. First, is the end when Robert Downey calls his briar a clay pipe. I feel like Sherlock in universe as well as Robert in real life should both know the difference.

But, the second is more the point of this thread. What would really have happened to his pipe that he took with him on his dive into the river? Could it just be left to dry and be ok? Sounds like an experiment I am sure not willing to conduct! Also, keep in mind the pipe was lit at the time as well. He had only recently lit it, so probably not too hot, but maybe warm. I figure that probably makes a diference.

Thoughts? What would really have happened?

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We need a basket pipe and a river, and we have an experiment!

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! Wife or no, you are no one's property to be tossed aside. You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I volunteer to stand by with a towel. I can take pictures, too.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Send an email to mythbusters...they seem to be willing to do just about anything.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. sergemoat

sergemoat

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure they'd have much interest unless the pipe exploded at the end.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok no lie, me and my friend were walking the banks of the Susquehanna river last year smoking a pipe, we were catching the fish that washed up during a flood to use for bait the next morning, he dropped his lit pipe out of his mouth into the river, That was last year, he still smokes it to this day, he just rinsed it in fresh water and dried it out, no harm no fowl

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I once dropped a pipe overboard while fishing. Luckily it was only in six feet of water and I was able to retrieve it. I wiped it down and cleaned it real good with Everclear, then left it to dry for a week or so. I still have the pipe and it smokes great!!

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If Holmes had been smoking his pipe here, I wouldn't give it much hope.
    A Pipe in Peril!

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a pipe I found on the beach at Lake Michigan after a storm. I took it home, talked to the guys at the B&M, and let it sit. I'm still smoking it, 30 years later. (It was an Iwan Ries house brand pipe.)

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 7 years ago #
  10. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

How disappointing to hear he called a briar pipe a clay. That's totally retarded.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 7 years ago #
  11. morlader

morlader

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I second that Kevin.Completely inexcusable

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed. Somebody dropped the ball in research.

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. misternoah

misternoah

Login to Send PM

I'm glad they still depicted him as smoking a pipe! There is a heavy campaign in Hollywood to remove all smoking from film and tv. I think it even goes so far as tax credits to not do so. Ridiculous! I think the anti smoking brigade should focus their efforts on a real issue, that would actually benefit society.

More importantly though, what kind of pipe do we think it is in this movie? Kinda looks like a dunhill shell briar to me. What do the experts here say?

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. ichbinmuede

ichbinmuede

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How disappointing to hear he called a briar pipe a clay. That's totally retarded.

Well Kevin I think that's a fault of the prop guys. I'm positive that the writers knew the difference between a clay pipe and a briar pipe because I'm sure that they read enough Holmes to read about the addition of the calabash to his character on stage and then to learn the kind of pipe he actually smoked and get a picture to visualize it. The prop guys however only saw "pipe" and so they got him a pipe with no thought on the type.
    Robert Downey Jr. howver did his job famously and worked with the script and worked well too. Great movie I thought and I'm excited for the second.

And no mention of brand but here is a good photo.

"Enjoy every sandwich." -Warren Zevon
    Best advice that I've ever heard.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  15. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

never ceases to amaze me at how poorly movies are researched for props.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny... it looked just like a clay on the radio.

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it looked just like a clay on the radio.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

im re watching the movie now to find that scene, Personally i think robert downey jr was a great holmes, ive read all the stories, Jude law as watson wasnt my cup o tea though

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the modernized BBC version, they show Holmes as being quite stupid about matters that didn't have anything to do with detection; he had no idea, for example, that the earth rotated around the sun. He had no need to know it because it hadn't come up in any of the cases he worked. So if one can accept this a canon (I can't remember if this was the case in the books), you might be able to accept that Holmes didn't know or care about the difference between a clay and briar pipe because it didn't have an impact on the case.

Just a rationalization beyond "the writers got it wrong".

Posted 7 years ago #
  20. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

he had no idea, for example, that the earth rotated around the sun.

Absolutely agree, this was he case in the books, on the matter of all things tobacco, holmes was king. He could identify th make brand and year and country of origin of a cigar simply from the ash. Chances are he would know the difference between his pipes, he was very specific between the ones he had, a clay which he used as a comforter while he was in a good mood, a briar which he used while traveling, and a cherrywood pipe which he smokes while he is in a bad mood.

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ooh... good point...

well, I tried.

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not trying to be a nit picker, i just love me my sherlock holmes stories. Im on my second read through on the short stories so im pretty refreshed too haha.

I would like to know the pipe holmes is using in the new movie, has a good look too it

Posted 7 years ago #
  23. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found it, your right he says clay but uses briar

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Couple of things:

First, it was nice that in the recent movie that Holmes smoked a basket pipe as opposed to the iconic calabash. The calabash pipe was introduced by William Gillette in his portrayl of holmes, whereas it was never mentioned in Author Conan Doyles writings.

Second, based on the discussion above the research questions that appear to be asked are (1) could a pipe survive a fall from the height of the Richimbach Falls(sp) and if so could it be sufficently dried to be again usable (2) was temperature a factor. To accurately replicate the conditions of the fall Holme's pipe endured, we could drop pipes out of say a fifth story window into a basin of water, we would also need to replicate the turbulence of the river perhaps by continuly renewing the water with say a fire hose. We could monitor the initial temperature of the pipe with say a thermal couple and assume that it would equilibrate to the temperature of the water below. The absorption and desporption of water could be measured by weighing the pipe prior to filling, lighting and dropping; weighing the pipe when it is pulled out of the river, heat drying the pipe and again weighing (if all water came out the pipe should return to its original mass).

Third, the results of such an expereiment would have to be reproducible and statistically reliable (at least seven replicate measurements would have to be made per experimental run). Measurements would also have to be done under controlled conditions where only the varialbe studied could fluctuate. This means that we would need to use identical basket pipes. Potential pipe samples would need to be analyzed (gamma ray topography) to insure the absense of any hidden flaws that might produce a stress fracture and bias the results). For a given experimental run, each pipe would need to be dropped from the same height at the same intial temperature. For example to study the effects of temperature additional experimental runs (at seven pipes each) would have to conducted at other fixed temperatures.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

banjobob

Login to Send PM

I lost a pipe last summer in the garden and found it 3 months later.
    It had turned gray from all the rains and sunlight.
    I treated it w/ some olive oil after it dried thoroughly,
    buffed it and it looked sorta okay, but later I noticed it had many small cracks in the wood.
    More importantly, it smokes better than ever.
    It didn't matter much, it was only $20 new, it was a Benton brand I got for using while doing yardwork

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   weezell, alexashe, 3rdguy, timelord, jrbjr, ajohnb, tfdickson, pepesdad1, ashdigger, npod, trubka2