PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I'm headed to Ireland next month and plan to visit the James Fox and Peterson shops with the intent of picking up a new pipe to commemorate the trip.

What would you buy if you were in Dublin?

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@alaskanpiper Touche! I'm considering the Peterson 05. Has sort of a Dublin shape.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I had a straight Dublin in my head, but sure! The 05 is a classic looking shape. You might think about asking around when you are there though, to see if there is something available that you may not be able to easily get wherever home is. There may be some things available that you can't just order from SP, y'know?
That would also make it more of a unique reminder of your trip. But at the end of the day, get whatever you like best.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Condor! I’ve heard that the RR is heavily sauced still. The new plugs aren’t as good as the old Irish made ones but they are still worth smoking, especially if you are in Dublin.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@alaskanpiper - I appreciate your suggestion and have considered just buying a new Peterson online but it's really about having a memento from my trip. That being said, I'm hoping that I can find a pipe (or two) that we might not have readily available in the states as you said. I did pick up two Peterson seconds (a Zulu and 303) and a K&P billiard on previous trips that have served me well.
@hawky454 - I was lucky to find 5 packs of Condor RR in the Shannon airport duty free shop on previous trips and hope to find some in the Dublin airport this time around. The Shannon airport didn't have any on my trip last year. I did however find pouches of Mick McQuaid and Velvan plug in a music shop in Galway of all places last year.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
What would you pick up in Dublin?
A cute redhead!
Just kidding. I love my wife, bless her heart for marrying the likes of me.
I'm not a big Peterson fan but perhaps some Mick McQuaid tobacco?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any pipe and price that call to you. I bought a fine little Peterson unfinished Dublin from PC that I would have been delighted to have bought in Dublin, and it wouldn't have dented my travel budget at that price.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
First go to McDaid’s (off of Grafton Street a few blocks from Peterson’s) to settle your thoughts over a couple of pints. Then you’ll make the right decision.
If it were me, I think I’d get a silver spigot

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Oh man! Good score on the Velvan Plug! I fell in love with that stuff just before they discontinued it! I don’t understand why STG doesn’t offer plugs to the US market, we are plug crazy over here, I know all those plugs would fly off the shelves!
Anyway, good luck on your travels, I’m looking forward to hearing what you end up acquiring on your trip so please update us.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd try to buy stuff you can't get here. Germains Rich Dark Flake comes to mind. SG Full Virginia Plug and St James Plug. If you can get it here, why get it there for more money?

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I'm thinking along the lines of krizzose...... First I'd find a nice comfortable pub and soak up a few pints.
Maybe take a couple of days to ponder and look around at what's available. Then buy something that you can't get online or at home.
Have a good trip!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What the store has available may be a wider selection than what the web shows. Worth a look see, and really, is a must visit while in Dublin. (Unless that's the CA Dublin!)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Laudisi (LDG), owning Peterson, probably has the widest listing of different Peterson pipes. Certainly they offer more than Peterson of Dublin does. I guess buying a Peterson in Dublin, I've done that a few times, offers nothing special any longer. Now, just go to LDG site unless, like me you have an aversion to on-line purchasing, check the listings and order up.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
The last time our family was in Dublin (2016 so things might have changed...) I visited both the James Fox & Peterson stores. I was disappointed with the Peterson store & couldn't find anything special there. James Fox, however, was great & I picked up a good sampling of tobaccos not available in the U.S.
If you're looking to do the same, I'd suggest Yachtsman Plug & Mick McQuaid. You also might want to try Maltan Ready Rubbed & Special Virginia Ready Rubbed (used to be Benson & Hedges Mellow Virginia). While Condor used to be a classic Irish blend, it's now manufactured in Poland & my understanding is that it's a ghost of its previous self but it might still be worth a try. And then there's Clan...

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks all for the input and bon voyage wishes.
@hoosierpipeguy - I was in the west coast of Ireland last summer and visited a handful of shops that carry pipe tobacco hoping to find Germain's and Gawith blends. No one had them in stock and as a matter of fact a very nice woman who was working at Cahill & Son tobacconist in Limerick told me that outside of the blends @drrock mentioned above, Peterson tobaccos dominate the market and that if I wanted anything else, I should travel to Northern Ireland as they would have blends available in the UK. A sad story.
@ddrock - Thank you for the insight. As I mentioned above, I was able to find Mick McQuaid plug in Galway and was very happy to do so as it is no longer in production. I also found the ready rubbed version in another town but it's not as good as the plug. I tried Maltan on a different trip and it wasn't to my liking. I do however enjoy B&H Special Virginia and have a couple of pouches of it. I'll be sure to pick up some Yachtsman if I can find some. From all the mixed and very polarizing reviews I've read about Clan, my tendency is to stay away form it. 8O
@warren - Thanks for the tip! I like the idea of having a pipe with a wind cap and will certainly consider it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're going for a higher level pipe, I'd put all the money on the pipe. If you have funds for tobacco, I'd go for 3-P. Get your composure or you'll buy everything in sight.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I just returned from a week in Dublin and I found NOTHING. The Peterson store on Grafton street had more cigars and EDC items than pipe stuff. There is a cool little tobacco/Cigar shop next to The Temple Bar, but a 50 G plug of Yachtsman was 25 Euros. The tobacco tax is so high there that it really isn't equitable to buy tobacco.

In the three countries I visited (Ireland, France, Czech Rep), I saw a lot of Vaping, vaping advertising etc...
Dublin is a great city to visit. The fellas on this site gave me some great suggestions in another thread. One of my favorite things I did was a day trip to Howth... 4 Euros, 20 minutes on a train. Check out Howth. Great seafood restaurants, scenic, great folks. I even met a former Professional Football player/coach.
The Guinness is still great.
I went to the Pearse and Lyons Whisky Distillery. It was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.