PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
So I was down in the basement rooting around for an old jar of Plum Pudding and as is my habit I'm going through and tightening the lids of the various other mason jars and by chance I looked a little closer at some two year old Esoterica Margate that I have and low and behold I can see some very obvious signs of mold here and there. Definitely a bummer as I only smoked one bowl of the 8 ounce bag before transferring it to a jar where its sat ever since.
So what would you do? If you spotted some mold here and there, but not everywhere would you pick through and toss the mold infected leaf and smoke the rest or would you play it safe and toss the whole jar's worth. I only looked in through the jar and haven't dumped it all out to see the extent of the problem, but it is 100% mold and not plume.
Sigh.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hmmm... you are absolutely certain it's mold? Can ya post some pictures? The reason I ask is, when I lived in Portland I used to store my tobacco in my cellar, yes, I was actually cellaring my tobacco! Weird. Anyway, I just came back from a trip to the House Of Calabash where I had a long conversation with Steven Books about mold growth on tobacco. It got me paranoid so I went straight to my cellar and looked at my collection. I saw all this weird shit growing all over my jars of Penzance and my heart sunk, I felt sick. I was so close to dumping a pound of that stuff when I decided to do a little search and to my amazement, this "growth" was actually a GOOD thing! I never heard of "bloom" before and I had come way too close to thinking it was mold and discarding it.

That being said, I'm sure you know the difference but sometimes bloom can look a lot like mold. Does it stink? I guess I would try just discarding the moldy parts and salvaging the rest.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I haven't had a mold problem yet. I do worry about this because I am a bibliophile and have problems with mold on my cloth bound books. So, the first thing to do is smell the tobacco and if it stinks(Molded bread smells like shit) pick off the mold and start smoking it.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Margate? Smoke the mold and throw out the rest.
Heh just kidding.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Yeah, it's definitely not bloom (which I mispelled "plume"). I'm going to dump the contents tomorrow after work and separate the good from the bad. If the problem isn't widespread I'll put the good stuff in separate jars and get to smoking it.
Bummer. This is the first mold problem I've had since I popped a bad tin of Kajun Kake a few years ago! Arrgh.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Like Hawky said, if it stinks, it's mold. It grows fast too. If it is mold, I don't think you'll have much luck with the tobacco that doesn't seem to be affected. Mold spores jump like little jack rabbits. I would try if it was me to salvage what I could but I wouldn't expect great results.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.