PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
So, I have a pipe here, debating options.
It's a Canadian pipe, Brigham, that has a broken stem (button/lip). Stem itself has a long metal tenon and oval in shape so, would like to keep it vs making something fit from a generic stem off eBay. I also have no donor stems.
Saw a post on a pipe restoration site that basically cut the end off and filed a new button. Before I started chopping, I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas... like cut/glue a piece of vulcanite in it's place? Use something else like FIMO? not sure if would stay in but, pretty decent stuff if I recall correctly.
Just looking for alternatives, or confirmation that the cut/file option is probably the best.
IMG_6120_zps2f1bc691.jpg

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I believe cutting off the old button and shaping a new one is your best option. I have nevber done this before but I have seen quite good results.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would contact Walker Pipe Repair. Mike Myers does amazing work.
http://walkerpiperepair.com/

Me, I would make a new stem. But, I enjoy challenges like that. I snapped the stem off of my most treasured breakfast pipe a few weeks ago, and I am waiting on some brindled vulcanite to arrive to fix it.
If I didn't want to learn a new set of skills, I would have someone else make a new one. Chopping it and carving a new button is more tricky, because of the way the stems are drilled, most likely it tapers down to a more narrow draft before the button to change the shape of the hole to a funnel at the tip. If you chop it, you will change the way it smokes, most likely.
FIMO is toxic. People who work with that stuff have to wear gloves. I wouldn't think it would be a good fix. And, in my experience, using that black glue to fix pipe stems is very temporary. I tend to bite right back through that stuff. And, I especially hate getting an estate with that glue on it. I always feel duped when that happens, because it breaks away immediately on me.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
And, in my experience, using that black glue to fix pipe stems is very temporary. I tend to bite right back through that stuff. And, I especially hate getting an estate with that glue on it. I always feel duped when that happens, because it breaks away immediately on me.
That´s interesting! I always wondered how the super glue will hold on in that particular place. My first attempt didn´t even pulled through sanding afterwards. :|

Mar 30, 2014
wv
It can be fixed. Cutting and reshaping the stem/button can be tricky. If you really like the pipe, you can send it out for repair. Or take the easy way out and put a softy bit on the stem.

Good looking pipe btw. Canadians are one of my favorite shapes.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Being that the button and about a third of the existing stem are thinned out already, there isn't much "meat" there unless you shorten the stem right to the taper point. Then you have to re-cut a slot, and work a new button .... unless you want a semi-functional abomination, in which case chopping off the broken button would suffice.

If you have access to machinery ( a lathe preferably ) you can take a donor stem that is slightly larger OD and fits the profile of the existing one, cut off the tenon from the donor stem and drill a hole to accomodate the Brigham metal tube which can be heated and gently ( since it's made of aluminum ) removed from the broken stem, fit the old tube in the new stem, and shape the outside to fit.

Or you can send it off and pay someone to do it for you.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Lol. An iphone, forums, and no glasses. I could have sworn that was a Canadian when I read the post earlier on my phone.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I wouldn't send it off for repairs. I got 18 pipes for about $2.50 each, most in good shape in need of cleaning, but a couple are a bit rough. I want to learn this stuff, and I'm a bit cheap so, sending away is a no go.
I am worried about there being enough material though for cutting it shorter... It's pretty thin and the slot goes in a ways.
I've never worked with fimo, well once a few years back. Far as I know it's non-toxic, but, still not sure if safe in your mouth. It was the first black substance I could think of that may have worked, but, hoped there may have been something similar people use.
The stem has a metal shaft and I see 2 small brass circles on the side, which I guess go straight through to hold it in? Would those need drilled out? I do have a lathe, sorta... Got it as a gift 25yrs ago, then my Dad piled up stuff on it in the workshop and I never got to use it. :). May work, may not... But I'm certain there are no attachments for it.
If I can buy a similar larger stem online and drill out the tenon and use the metal one, that may be a good option, though I may try that after I try to create a new button since if a new stem doesn't work out, I can't go back easily after the metal is removed.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
It's Canadian, in the sense that it was made here in Canada... About 2.5h away I think. Not the shape. I'm not a fan of the Canadian shape, the long shank doesn't appeal to me.
Actually, in general I dislike this pipe, just not my style. And I got 3 of them. :)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
danielplainview's suggestion of a softy bit may be the most practical option. Taking that route is not a sign of failure on your part. Some well-respected members of this forum have used softy bits to salvage pipes when forming a new button is not really feasible.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
This is what I did to fix my stem.

1. Fold a little paper and insert to stem button/lip side's air hole(to make flat).

2. Add vulcanite dust top of that and then cover with 2 or 3 drops of superglue.

3. let it dry and completely form(about 5 to 6 hours)

4. With stainless steel nail file make shape of button/lip.

5. With sand paper(800,1200,1500 grit) make smooth surface stem.

6. Waxing with carnauba wax.

I never do clench the stem but it is pretty strong.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Why bin a perfectly good Brigham? If Goldsm's solution doesn't work, then put on a softie bit or get another stem and work it into position.
Your Brigham looks like a great, one short bowl before bedtime burner and those thick walls are a plus in my house.
That bowl has many thousands of wonderful smokes to go and I hope they will all be yours.
Fnord

owen

May 28, 2014
A wedge glued in has worked great for me and the black glue has even held a snapped in half stem. But im a sucker not a bighter.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I wish I had your problem, because that Bingham looks really nice to me.

I once broke a piece of button from a vulcanite stem and was able to repair it with super glue with no problems so far.

I'd try finding some of the same material and patching it in there as has been suggested, before I got around to cutting the stem,

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
The Brigham isn't bad... I prefer smooth finishes and cherrywoods, so, very different from the one above. My current smoking pipe is a Stanwell Night & Day 207, that and an old Corn Cob. But the Brighams I have are coming out nice, just, still waiting for a very very slow shipment for the carnauba wax.
I haven't been a pipe smoker long so, I only have the two smoking pipes and the 18 still being cleaned up. Of the 18, I'm keeping I think 2, a churchwarden (which I'll be asking about in another post) and a Carey Magic Inch with a large bowl... but the stem went missing. Will have to take the workshop apart this weekend to find it... also needs the tenon fixed where that papyrate sleeve slides over.

Status
Not open for further replies.