PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I am very much a traditional shape kind of guy.
But I was in Bennington's (a GREAT B&M in Boca Raton) yesterday and something about this pipe called to me. Perhaps the fact that it is HUGE. Easily Group 6, my index finger goes into the chamber to the second knuckle, with room to spare all around. Maybe it was the very comfortable way it sits in and fills the hand. Maybe it was very reasonable price.
Anyway, it's a DB and smoked wonderfully first time out.
I'm just not sure what to call the shape. Is it a Dublin? I think not, with the way the bowl tapers at the rim. An egg? I think not, given the asymmetry and aggressive forward lean of the bowl.
So what say you? (BTW, I love the jaunty little downward curve of the stem.)
db_zps1328ef2b.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Canted egg sounds right.
Egg cutty side up sounds BETTER. mustanggt FTW!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Canted egg provides a pretty good description of that pipe for me. I feel I've seen similarly shaped

pipes listed as Dublins and Cuttys. I have a fine little bent pocket pipe, and one side of the bowl

is unquestionably cylindrical, hence a billiard, and the other side that attaches to the stem is

definitely a brandy, but the total affect is pleasant and traditional looking. Shape descriptions in

many cases are themselves interpretive. At what point does a billiard with a saddle stem become

a Lovat? It's a matter of proportion of shank to stem (I think/guess) but it's not an exact

determination. I have a freehand where the bottom of the bowl comes to a sort of conical point,

and I've seen this called a tomahawk, but a lot of people have never heard of that -- it's just

a freehand to them, with no subset. I'm glad the shapes aren't too well defined; it provides a

wide range of individuality and keeps shapes interesting. I bought an elegant sandblast saddle

stem billiard at the pipe show yesterday, but oh that sturdy bowl with a wide brim -- I feel sure

his grandma was a pot.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think it's a riff on the Danish "scoop" -- not really a classic shape at all. At least that's what the folks at smokingpipes call it here:
004-001-4631.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Pitchfork, that's certainly close. (Although the forward edge of the lip on scoop protrudes, whereas on my pipe it is more tumblehome, to steal a yacht design phrase. Whatever it's called, it's certainly not traditional shape to my way of thinking (close to a Zulu or a cutty or Dublin (all classics/traditional) but not REALLY one of those.)
If you were to ask me, I'd tell you I don't really like Danish pipes. And if you were to look in my pipe racks you'd see bulldogs and bent billiards and Rhodesians and such.
And yet . . . This one went home with me.
Interesting hobby we have, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.