What Would I Find Underneath This White Paint?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
New Cigars
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I really like this little pipe - the color not so much.
20151128_164313_zpskv6vzmwp.jpg

Would it be a sin to refinish this? Should I expect a lot of filler underneath?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have a Orange Dr Grabow that I sandblasted the paint off and it was solid briar underneth, no fills at all, left it naked and keep at work with a cob as my work rotation.
I don't think the Kaywoodie White Briars are any less quality then any other Woodie

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
You can always paint it white again if it disappoints you.
This reminds me of the French Longchamp's. As I heard it, during WWII, briar was really scarce. Using what they had, the French wrapped the ugly briar in leather to make it rugged and attractive. It was a hit with the American GI's and so with a market they made Longchamps for a long time... even after the briar supply to France had resumed. I have heard of folks unwrapping a Longchamp and finding awesome briar underneath. And then it has gone the other way, as well.
I own a Longchamp. I have never had the urge to alter it. I defer if anyone here knows more about the story, but that is how I have heard it.
In any event, good luck with you Kaywoodie!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I was thinking about a sandblast too. Wouldn't it need to have more material to start with? How are blasts done? Wife is out of town... Harbor Frieght might be in my future ;)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That Zulu is one of my favorite Grabow shapes. I'm smoking one right now, actually. Me personally, I would leave that one as it is, and possibly just buy another one in a more standard finish. I have a couple good sources, if you're interested.
EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. It's been a long day! I totally mistook that for a Grabow Color Duke.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
From my experience its a real gamble.......... I've seen some that had AMAZING grain under the white, and no fills..... others, well..........get the paintbrush ready.... :puffy:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Those "White Briar" Kaywoodies definitely have that mid century modern thing going for them, if you are into that.I have a few in my collection but I don't smoke them, not after all the trouble I went to in getting them white again =)

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
They are retro-sexy!
20151201_194531_zpsho2ppyon.jpg

I don't know if I make the pipe or the pipe makes me....

Status
Not open for further replies.