PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I received 5 "estate" pipes from the 'Bay today and they all had some thick "residue" at the top of the bowl, but the bottom seemed relatively clean. It was suggested by my MIL that a less than legal substance may have caused the issue and I just wanted to ask if there might be some other explanation for it. Seems a shame that some idiot would smoke dope out of a nice briar pipe, but stranger things have happened, I'm sure. Any input is appreciated. :)

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Odd that it's at the top of the bowl. I would think anything like that

would tend to be at the bottom. I really don't have a clue.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
photo-5.jpg

Here ya go, my wife also thought she detected a dope smell out of it :(

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Yup, looks pretty normal to me too. It appears that the owner only smoked the first half or so of the bowl pretty regularly which would account for the thicker cake at the top of the chamber.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Upon seeing the pic, I agree with what everyone else had said.

In your original post I thought you meant a residue other than cake.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
+1 on Herbinedave.

I would add; that once you have them cleaned and ready to smoke, you should "screw" a paper towel into the "warm" bowl to maintain a smooth cake and even cake.

The bottom of the bowl is the most difficult area on which to build a cake, especially if one smokes Aromatics.

:puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
If the "residue" that you are referring to is the charring on top of the rim, that stuff is pretty bad. Here is something that you can do to get rid of it: Get yourself a shank brush, dip it into some crazy hot water, and scrub away. That char will be gone in no time!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Until you took the time and effort to post that picture, I thought it was a put-on. A guy with a handle like "kabong30"

has a problem with dope residue. Ya, right! :lol:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My grandfathers pipes were just like that. It's because he never smoked all the way down. He'd smoke a little, dump it back in the pouch, stir it and repack. He never smoked more than half way down, hence the carbon cake just at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.