PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
What might be a reasonable price for a 1995 Dunhill billiard root briar?
Wrestling with the "Is it really worth it?" question here, or is it that I just feel compelled to own one, based on Dunhill plaudits from many members here?
Not crazy any more about going the eBay route. Was lucky in my two purchases from there, but reading too many horror stories since then. Sounds risky.
Your thoughts, please...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think the best way to determine the market value for a pipe is to research it. I would go to ebay and see what they are going for there. Then I would check all of the on line estate dealers like Briar Blues, Marty Pulvers, MKE-Law pipes, Smokingpipes, Smokers Haven. Get a list of all the mid 90's root briars out there in the size and shape you are looking for and then cross reference all of them to see what the going rate is. You also need to take into account the condition of the pipe. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
boudreaux, once you get a good idea, then you can try and rob one on ebay. If you need the names of some sellers that I buy from, just let me know. I only buy pristine estate pipes from very reputable dealers. My last great score was a 630.00 Castello Occhio di Pernice for 184.00 delivered, those kinds of deals can be had.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Estate pipes are such a moving target. I would want to look at the new Dunhill offerings to find as close a match

to the 1995 pipe as possible, in terms of shape, size, and materials. That would give you a sort of baseline. I don't

know Dunhill prices, new or estate, but I would start out thinking about half the new price would be plenty. If I were

asked to pay more, I'd want to know why. Is this a one of a kind; were these pipes better then than now; etc. Unsmoked

pipes are a whole issue: do they deserve a premium for being historically preserved, or should they be discounted for

age? Dunhill pricing tends to be exalted, new or estate. I think the best bargains in estates are probably on other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.