Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Will You Cellar In 2019?

(33 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by xingpao
  • Latest reply from ophiuchus
  1. xingpao

xingpao

Login to Send PM

Ok, so with Dunhill and McClelland gone, what blends currently in production do you feel you need to make sure to set aside this year? I am open to any type blend for consideration.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

I'm going to put away the Sutliff Crumble Cake series and Macbaren Modern Virginia for sure.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

None at all.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I’m not going to share that with anyone. You’d be better off doing the same. Word gets out here and it’s all over. I’ve made hints in other threads but that’s is far as I’ll take it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PS Luxury Navy Flake and Bullseye Flake
    Watch City Old Dominion and 558

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Arango Balkan Supreme, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, Capstan Gold, SPC PPSR, Squadron Leader, Esoterica Ramsgate/Stonehaven, & Black Frigate are on my hit list this year.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

Finally settled on a few key blends to go deep with as my cellar is way too wide so I'm ordering pounds now.

3 pounds on the way. Sale on C&D bulks so a pound each of Engine #99 and Super Balkan. Also ordered a pound of Stokkebye LBF in anticipation of my "Virginia" summer.

Want to add 15-20 pounds this year.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I were still cellaring I would be going after blends that are in most cases readily available. Here is a list of some of those blends.
    Capstan Blue Flake
    Escudo
    Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
    Solani 633
    Solani 660 Silver Flake
    Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
    Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
    GL Pease Navigator-needs a good 5 years but worth the wait.

Harris
    Posted 3 months ago #
  9. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I’m not going to share that with anyone. You’d be better off doing the same. Word gets out here and it’s all over. I’ve made hints in other threads but that’s is far as I’ll take it.

I am with you on this one...As in another thread about "Cyprian Latakia", blends that's use this will be going into my cellar.

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

Yeah, my Latakia favorites will be well represented. Even though it softens with time, it is still tasty with age.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Captain Black Grape for sure. It's the best...

...air freshener for my vehicle.

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Cig - as someone who cellars both the DFK and Navigator, how do the two compare? I tried a fresh tin of Navigator and almost tossed the entire bowl. I do love me some Orlik though...

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Balkan Supreme, EMP match, 965 match, Magnum Opus,

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

H&H Black House

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

Condor Long Cut, Full Virginia Plug, St James Plug, Westmorland Slices, Germains Brown Flake & Royal Jersey Perique.

Chris

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whatever I can get!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

My days of cellaring are over. I'll buy something to replace a blend that's run out, like C&D Yorktown. If I was still on the hunt it would be Esoterica Dunbar and Hastings, HU Director's Cut and Makhuwa, GL Pease Telegraph Hill, Cumberland, Haddo's Delight, Sixpence, and Union Square, Rattray's HOTW, H&H Anniversary Kake, RO Perique Series GP-11, Savinelli Doblone D'Oro, Mac Baren St Bruno, and one or two others.

Fortunately, I started cellaring years ago, so I have a goodly supply of McClelland Christmas Cheers, the Numbers, Red and Black, Tudor Castle, Beacon, Deep Hollow, The Frogs, Grey Havens, Jubilee, 2015, 2010, 5100, McCranie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake, Stave Aged Virginia 35, the 40th and several others, Motzek Strang, Brigham Klondike Gold, A&C Petersen Escudo, and other extinct tobaccos that I enjoy.

When it comes to tobaccos, I lack for nothing.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 months ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I am saving money to start my own business, and I will not spend another dollar on tobacco or pipes. In retrospect it did nothing to improve my quality of life.

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ever so slowly I'm cellaring Royal Yacht, FVF, Capstan Blue Flake, HoTW, St James Flake, Stirling Flake, Dunhill Flake, Dunhill Dark Flake, St Bruno Flake. Several others might get on the list, but my slow pace forces me to narrow it down a little.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  20. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Captain Black Cherry and Mixture 79.

Javan
    Posted 3 months ago #
  21. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

Scotty's Butternut Burley.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

GLP JackKnife Plug and Macbaren ODF Bulk Ready Rubbed for my Dark Fired burleys.
    GLP Stratford for my Va/Per. I'm not huge on heavy Va/Pers, so Stratford fits the bill with it's "just a pinch of perique."
    SPC Plum Pudding - opened a tin this week, and while not being a huge latakia fan, I find that the addition of cavendish tobacco really makes me enjoy this blend.
    C&D Black Frigate - once again with the latakia, the cavendish adds a sweet dimension. Also the tin/jar note makes me feel like I traveled back in time to an old tobacco store.
    Haven't really found a Virginia I like to the extent of cellaring much of yet, but GLP Union Square and Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake have grown on me, the latter more so.
    Probably a few tins of Peterson 3P for a treat when it comes around again in the next few months.

I'll probably cellar the aforementioned deeply as the year passes and finish up the jars of tobaccos I have opened of blends that I won't buy again or will seldom, which is:

GLP Haddos delight
    C&D Exhausted Rooster
    G&H Ennerdale Flake
    GLP Triple Play
    Macbaren Bold Kentucky
    A few others that I haven't tried that much that might grow on me are SG BBF and C&D Burley Flake #5.

Blends currently open that I won't able able to get anymore are:
    McClellands 5115
    McClellands 5110
    Dunhill DNR
    Dunhill MM965

I've got a pretty wide cellar more than deep back in my home country as I finish this year of teaching here in South Korea. Trying to finish the 20oz+ I have here before I open anything else and make the move back to the USA.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

PS Luxury Navy Flake and Bullseye Flake Watch City Old Dominion and 558.

I already have a stash of the first two so now I'm keen on
    grabbing some Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding Special Reserve
    and a few other of their goodies. WOW! I must have 9 or 10
    pounds by now! My 'cellar' is a plastic bin under my bed so
    I'm going to need another.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke so moderately, spelled slowly, glacially, that I have no particular plans for cellaring anything more. My small stash could last me for years. Since PAD may nibble, I could go for some Presbyterian, just out of long-held curiosity, a tin or two of D&R, or something else. But new purchases tend to get lost in the crowd. I still have McClelland and Dunhill blends, Low Country, Seattle Pipe Club, Stanwell, Mac Baren, Edward G., C&D, and many others to hold down the fort.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

WOW! What a great find - the concentrated wisdom of pipesmagazine.coms
    cognoscenti of fine tobaccos. I can hardly believe my luck! Now I really
    know what I need to buy and, having bought it, I wonder where, having no
    cellar, to cellar it. But perhaps I'll think of something.

Sutliff Crumble Cake series. Macbaren Modern Virginia, Arango Balkan Supreme, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, Capstan Gold, SPC PPSR, Squadron Leader, Esoterica Ramsgate/Stonehaven, Black Frigate, Engine #99, Super Balkan, Capstan Blue Flake, Escudo, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, Solani 633, Solani 660 Silver Flake, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, GL Pease Navigator, Captain Black Grape, Balkan Supreme, EMP match, 965 match, Magnum Opus, H&H Black House, Condor Long Cut, Full Virginia Plug, St James Plug, Westmorland Slices, Germains Brown Flake & Royal Jersey Perique, C&D Yorktown. Esoterica Dunbar and Hastings, HU Director's Cut, Makhuwa, GL Pease Telegraph Hill, Cumberland, Haddo's Delight, Sixpence, Union Square, Rattray's HOTW, H&H Anniversary Kake, RO Perique Series GP-11, Savinelli Doblone D'Oro, Mac Baren St Bruno, Royal Yacht, FVF, Capstan Blue Flake, HoTW, St James Flake, Stirling Flake, Dunhill Flake, Dunhill Dark Flake, St Bruno Flake, Captain Black Cherry, Mixture 79, Scotty's Butternut Burley, GLP JackKnife Plug, Macbaren ODF, GLP Stratford, GLP Union Square and Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake, & Peterson 3P.

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu! fellers. I shall be eternally grateful to you for this priceless information.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really the only thing I am looking for in bulk right now is FVF. I'm good on most everything else.

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe a few more tins of GH Bob's Chocolate Flake, GH Ennerdale, SG Bothy Flake and St Bruno Flake. I've been enjoying these blends lately.

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

piano,

Cig - as someone who cellars both the DFK and Navigator, how do the two compare? I tried a fresh tin of Navigator and almost tossed the entire bowl. I do love me some Orlik though..

I have found those blends to be very different flavor wise. The Orlik has a distinctive flavor of molasses and a bit of licorice which Navigator has none of. The Navigator has a nice sweet flavor to it and the age has smoothed it out in a big way, no more rough edges. They are similar in that they both need significant age before they come around. I believe that is due to the Dark Fired in each. In my experience most blends with DF need significant age to really shine.

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Since I'm within 15 pounds or so to reach 100 lbs total, I'm going to go ahead and get there this year - just because. The blends I'm buying now a pound or 2 combined per order are ones that I know I like and are readily available and available in tins. Escudo, Solani 633, Old Dark Fired and more tinned straight Virginia blends, which is probably going to be more of a focus. Just ordered a few tins of Mac Baren Pure Virginia to see if I want to go deeper with it. If FVF, Dunbar and various Rattray's present themselves in the meantime, I'll grab them too but I'm tired of waiting around for the stuff.

I've cellared pretty wide with 3-10 tins of lots of different blends, many of which I haven't tried but am confident I'll enjoy down the road for some variety to go with the deeply cellared favorites. Math is telling me that I'll smoke more than 100 pounds before I die but going much higher than that seems a bit presumptuous.

Tim
    Posted 3 months ago #
  30. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I’m done after another 15 pounds.

Need mostly Va/Pers & Oriental-forward blends.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 3 months ago #
  31. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I plan to go deeper on:

SG BBF and Balkan Flake
    F&T CVF, CVP and Vintage
    GLP Union Square, Quiet Nights, Maltese Falcon, Chelsea Morning and Westminster
    Astley's No 44 and 109
    Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake and Golden Sliced

Posted 3 months ago #
  32. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I plan on cellaring some vintage Ports, some Bordeauxs, some Reislings, and a few white odds and ends from Germany and Austria. Oops, wrong cellar.

The only tobacco I intend on purchasing in significant amounts is Manil Le Petit Robin but not for the express purpose of cellaring/aging. I just want to take advantage of any deals I can get on it and stock up while I have the ability.

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve got enough. What little I get now is for more immediate enjoyment.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cossackjack, elasmo, oldgeezersmoker, jfred, hoosierpipeguy, philobeddoe