Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Will Become of Your Cellar When You Pass?

(65 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

It’s a morbid question, but the posts of cellar size had me thinking. I’m certain my heirs will have to deal with my cellar (in addition to my pipes) when I pass, especially given what limited time I’ve had for the pipe lately. I maintain a catalog & description of my cellar which should help. Hopefully there will continue to be a consignment market in the future. Curious what your thoughts are on the subject?

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s not a morbid question at all. I think about it for sure. I have no children and no heirs. I drew up an estate plan with my lawyer recently that includes inventory on pipes and tobacco and watches and other collectibles. I have very specific itemized spread sheets made up with individual values and totals. My estate plans are very specific.

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There will be instructions to contact Steve Fallon, aka pipestud, and Mr. Gluckner at Briar Blues. I may will my Barlings to the Bard. Dunhills to Duane. Petes to whoever is the biggest Pete basher. OK, jk on last two.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the idea of an itemized spreadsheet. However, given the number of pipes and amount of different tobaccos, I might not get it finished in time!

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s not a morbid question at all. I think about it for sure. I have no children and no heirs.

I'm available for adoption if this is causing you more stress than you are wanting to deal with.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hoosier, if I adopt you then you have to follow my rules like a good boy. But knowing your strong sense of self, maybe it’s best we just have a side deal. You can have my Royal Yacht for sure.

How about this ... you can have my High Quality Undetectable Counterfeit Banknotes!

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got a post it with a few names/numbers on it.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

... you can have my High Quality Undetectable Counterfeit Banknotes!

LOL

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I'll have a big table at my funeral filled with the books, music, pipes, tobaccos and trinkets that my main heir(s) don't necessarily want... and there will be a sign that reads "take one."

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 4 months ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Burned on my funeral pyre.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm takin' it with me.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My guess would be he local landfill.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I'm takin' it with me.

So long and thanks for all the tobacco?

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who knows?

It's likely to end up in the garbage, given the current attitudes towards tobacco.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

you can have my Royal Yacht for sure.

Gosh Dad, that's so thoughtful of you.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've left instructions in my will. Whether they will be followed is anyone's guess, but I likely won't care, since I'm dead.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. jrenko

jrenko

Login to Send PM

When i am gone i am not going to worry what happens to my pipes or cellar. My wife can throw it in the trash if she wants to.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

If I precede my wife, that'll be more tobacco for her cellar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Probably just thrown in the trash, and as for the pipes maybe someone will keep one or two.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My cellar goes to Sablebrush. My pipes? My kids will probably have to figure that one out.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  21. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m sure the wife will attempt to sell it, ultimately it will likely end up in the trash.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Official Wills seem to not mean a hill of beans in my family. But, my wife has heard me state over and over, that I want my tobacco to go up in flames with me. Pipes would be the least of their worries. I have a whole storage building full of fishing and hunting gear. Boxes and boxes of lures that I made over the years. A whole studio full of lapidary equipment, and enough gemstones and lapidary rough to keep them busy for a while. Cameras, printing presses, and assorted crap to make life more interesting.
    Once I am dead, my worries over what will happen to them is over. That is what life insurance is for.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  23. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My pipes and tobacco will be given to one of my pipe smoking friends and vice versa.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no idea. I don't like to think about it. My doctor told me yesterday that if I keep getting such good medical results, I'll live to be 100. I'll have everything smoked up by then. I'll be 72 next month.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a friend who would help with that. Pipes too.

Jason
    Posted 4 months ago #
  26. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never cellared due to $ reasons more than any other. But was just thinking about how, having just turned 65, I wouldn't want to start now even with funds available because I wouldn't want to invest a bunch of $ in tobacco that I might never smoke due to my age. Admittedly, one never knows when one's time may be up at any age.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My biggest concern is that at some point everybody I know spends the last few years in either a nursing home or assisted living. I have never known anyone who was allowed to stay in their home till they pass. I am in my mid-50's, and the conversation that I find to be the most important is keeping me smoking. I do not want to have to give up smoking to live in a hospital for a few years before I die. I'd rather just go out in a blaze if that's the case. So, I go over options with my kids frequently.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Such an important topic. So many people I know prefer to evade this topic and don't like talking about it. But death does come for us all, without a miss.
    I found many so many great things in this forum. I think in the other thread the OP asked whether to store and save a truly good blend for the future and the majority of the response was to simply just light and enjoy it while you still can, today. I really like this attitude.
    I have never previously thought about what happens to my pipes and tobacco when I'm gone. I guess they can be sold and the money can benefit my family somehow.

Pierre
    Posted 4 months ago #
  29. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m with Cosmic and Embers on this one... burn baby burn!

But their respective cellars probably amount to a metric ton... That should be interesting. Probably need an industrial furnace.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We will be seeing a lot of good Tobaccos on the eBays when the old dogs croak. At some point I imagine the prices will lower as more and more modern day pipe smokers croak as it’s really been a short period of time that people have been hoarding Tobaccos and calling it their cellars. I see the market being flooded with all the bought up but unsmoked Full Virginia Flake and other rarities. Mine will probably end up on the iminterwebs as well but I’m gonna try my damndest to smoke it all up before I go to the grave.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If your pipes and tobacco piles less than a few hundred, sure, burn it in a fine funeral pyre. But if thousands, why let your heirs lose out? Some Chinese billionaire will pay top dollar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully the only thing left to burn is my stash of CB grape and Mixture 79!

That’s probably going to affect my eulogy for sure...

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. james72

james72

Login to Send PM

My pipes and tobacco go to my kids (both under the age of 10 at present). Every tin I own has a sticker on it with the amount I paid for it and the date I bought it--all of this in case the spreadsheet on my computer is somehow overlooked. I'm hoping my kids can get at least what I paid for it, though in many cases they will get more. I pray for Pipestud's continuing good health even if mine should decline!

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My biggest concern is that at some point everybody I know spends the last few years in either a nursing home or assisted living. I have never known anyone who was allowed to stay in their home till they pass. I am in my mid-50's, and the conversation that I find to be the most important is keeping me smoking. I do not want to have to give up smoking to live in a hospital for a few years before I die. I'd rather just go out in a blaze if that's the case. So, I go over options with my kids frequently.

I’ve never thought of it that way. That’s a scary one to think about, I’d rather go in a blaze too! I’m 38 now, so I hope I have awhile to think about it. I have one daughter and I’m doing my best to implant fond memories of pipe smoke so maybe she’ll take up the pipe when she’s of age and she can inherit my pipes and tobaccos.

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My children have been given instructions on what to do with my pipes and tobacco. They understand that the tobacco will appreciate in value the longer it is aged.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  36. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Life is so ironic ... the day before last I was at an estate liquidation. Although I do not do this for a living, I have some antique dealer acquaintances and friends, and whenever I have a chance I get out of my way in search of a few pieces, or help them out, or make a buck on the side by turning a piece or two with their help. Any road, a few weeks ago a 89 year old gentleman passed away, leaving behind an estate consisting of an interbelic house (which he probably got as a nationalized house for his high position in the communist party, and bought after the revolution) with 6 fully furnished rooms, a basement, a kitchen, a dining space, and a pretty large yard. His son lives in Germany, and could care less about the old man's belongings... bydermeyer furniture being given away, art deco chandeliers being sold for cheap, entire book collections sold for EUR 1 or EUR 5 per book ... all in all whatever the man collected and held dear in his life, gone in a few hours as his inheritors did not give a single f***. It made me think ... I imagine my inheritors will care little to none about my pipe and tobacco collection, and it may have a similar fate. After all the efforts and sacrifices I may make to buy nice pipes, rare pipes, save to buy extinct tobacco brands ... it's just ironic.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 4 months ago #
  37. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I can't take it with me, I'm not going.

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I'm leaving it up to my wife, in part. If she wants to deal with the hassle of selling it off to make things easier financially, I've left instructions on who she can trust. If she doesn't want to bother with that, I've asked her to gift my pipes and tobaccos to my pipe-smoking friends. I just haven't told them that. I wouldn't want them to hasten things as a result.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

litup, I literally don't personally know anyone else who smokes a pipe to consider leaving my stuff to.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

Irishearl - I'm sorry to hear that. I think it's fairly common for a lot of pipe smokers though. Perhaps because we skew towards the solitary end of the spectrum? Or perhaps it's because we're pushed to smoke in private by society?

I count myself as very lucky in that regard. I have become good friends with the guys in my pipe club and even have a couple "normal" friends who enjoy a pipe once in a while.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reading this thread, it seems to me a tontine is clearly in order. And since they’re probably still illegal, I think we should ask Jesse to set it up. As an incentive to get the ball rolling I’ll kick in all my Marcovitch.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After I die, it will no longer be my problem. With my luck, I'll end up outliving anyone I give a damn about.

If I can't take it with me, I'm not going.

-That's the spirit!

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. scottfree

scottfree

Login to Send PM

I'll just move on to one of my nine lives.

Find what you love, and let it kill you.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm available for adoption if this is causing you more stress than you are wanting to deal with.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's likely to end up in the garbage, given the current attitudes towards tobacco.

My stash, modest though it is, will no doubt end up the same way too.

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I think I'll have a big table at my funeral filled with the books, music, pipes, tobaccos and trinkets that my main heir(s) don't necessarily want... and there will be a sign that reads "take one."

What a great idea! Please make a note to let us know when it will be held.

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I pray for Pipestud's continuing good health even if mine should decline!-james 72

Thanks for the prayers, James, I need them! And, of course, depending on what you have in your cellar will depend upon how hard I pray for your continuing good health, too!

Pipestud
    Posted 4 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

His son lives in Germany, and could care less about the old man's belongings...

The modern generation is totally different to us. Their brains are wired
    differently and most of them don't give a crap about our standards and values.
    Wonderful cherished things you may have spent a lifetime collecting and
    lovingly caring for will end up either on the auctioneer's block or rubbish tip.
    So it would be real nice if you could send them to me.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll just move on to one of my nine lives.

Some believe it's possible to reincarnate into the past. If that's true, it's the only way I'd want to come back to this planet.

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Wonderful cherished things you may have spent a lifetime collecting and
    lovingly caring for will end up either on the auctioneer's block or rubbish tip."

You never know; maybe the old man was an awful bastard and the stuff would just be a reminder of bad times. I turned down possession of a lovingly cared-for Winchester Model 1897 shotgun, made in 1921, for exactly that reason. And believe me, I loooooove an old Winchester pump gun.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being 75...I've already started to give away my Comoys and other "valuable" pipes to friends who are younger than me...tobacco will go to pipestud as I've left his website with my wife...he has the respect and reputation that I don't have any worries about my wife getting some value from my tobacco...although I may gift it to some of the younger pipers I know...depends on our finances at the time of my demise.

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

Pipestud told me a story of a widower who sent rare, aged tobaccos to him. Once the tins were sold, he sent a check to her. She was surprised by the amount, and called to confirm. He confirmed the amount, then she got mad that her husband spent that much. PS told her that when her deceased husband bought them, they were only a couple bucks a tin. I cracked up at the tale.

Hope George Washington’s words concerning tobacco ring well long into the future. Would be ashame to deprive future generations of this fine hobby.

Posted 4 months ago #
  53. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

Sounds like Steve was just following the Bro code and protecting that guy even after he'd parted from this life. Respect!

Posted 4 months ago #
  54. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipestud is a smoooooooth operator. I can see him doing that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

There be none left I will have smoked it all by then.

Posted 4 months ago #
  56. puffermark

puffermark

Login to Send PM

If I can't take it with me, I ain't goin'

Posted 4 months ago #
  57. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"What a tragegy to die, when there're so many blends I've yet to taste!"

Posted 4 months ago #
  58. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I intend to live forever.

Posted 4 months ago #
  59. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hah! Man proposes, God disposes.

(Comes the gov't and decomposes.)

Posted 4 months ago #
  60. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Hah! Man proposes, God disposes.

(Comes the gov't and decomposes.)

Posted 4 months ago #
  61. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've decided I'm going to cremate my tobacco a bowl at a time before I pass. Then, I'll have my pipes buried with me except for my cobs. If I proceed npod into the hereafter, I'll have my cobs sent to him so he can have appropriate pipes to smoke his Royal Yuck in.

Posted 4 months ago #
  62. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I proceed npod into the hereafter, I'll have my cobs sent to him so he can have appropriate pipes to smoke his Royal Yuck in.

Don't forget the Lakeland blends also! I love to mix Royal Yacht with soap and enjoy the blend in my cobs.

Posted 4 months ago #
  63. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've convinced my wife that tins are better than the market...(and they are). Should be enough funds to put me 6' under.

Posted 4 months ago #
  64. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been dead for four years and my stuff is still just sitting there.

Posted 4 months ago #
  65. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If five or six Forums members willed their pipes and tobacco to pipestud's offspring or nephews and nieces, it might train the next generation of consignment pipe retailers.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   nunnster, lightxmyfire, ben88, pipestud, troyniss, sasquatch, ashdigger, hugodrax, pappymac, nhhiggy, lukasstrifeson, bullet08