PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Just wondering how Syrian Latakia, prices, and farmers will be/are being affected by the wars raging in Syria. Russia has made several attacks near Latakia recently. Not to mention the rebels fighting Assad, ISIS, the ever growing tension between Russia and the US. The whole country of Syria is in turmoil and I can't imagine a positive outcome for the small farmers in the region no matter what happens.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/13/middleeast/syria-civil-war/

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Well since the fire in the warehouse I was pretty sure there has not been any importation of Syrian tobacco. All the blenders purchased what was left and has been using it over the years. Eventually it will completely run out,
Syrian latakia article.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Syrian latakia was grown or, at least wasn't processed for a pretty long time. The Syrian government prohibited the burning of the woods used to cure the tobaccos. The last that was available was the boatload that was delivered in 2004 or so. Nobody ever said at that time it was going to be available regularly or even again. I don't have any crystal ball or insider info but yeah, its already gone (IMHO) except for what Macbaren and McClelland have. It seems to me that McClelland gave a time estimate of how long their supply would last back then and it would have to be getting close, unless the percentages were lessened in some blends but I'm just speculating.
Mike S.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Pretty sure this came up a week or two ago and Greg Pease was pretty clear it hasn't been around (meaning it hasn't been farmed cured and up for auction) for ten years and won't be making a comeback anytime soon if ever. Also, it has nothing to do with the Russian invasion.
Per Jensen I believe said in an episode of the radio show that Mac Baren has about six years worth of production left for the Vintage Syrian in their HH series and then their supply will be all gone.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Wow. What a sad loss. Now I"m not sure if I even want to try a blend with Syrian Latakia in it. I'd ate to get hooked on something that is extinct.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Go for it.....Syrian latakia makes for a tasty smooth smoke and it's better to have experienced something great for awhile than never experience it at all.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.
So true! However, I hate losing so I've put away many pounds of HH Vintage Syrian. :puffy:

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Thanks for all the good info! Especially the link to the Syrian Latakia article, tarheel1. I did not know about the environmental issues or the warehouse fire. For all I knew, it was still being produced. This has definitely been educational.
Although I smoke a lot of 1Q and the like, I am a big fan of Frog Morton Across the Pond. I will have to stock up on this and others so I've got a little something extra special in the cellar some years down the road.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There hasn't been any grown for 20 years. It's gone. It's not gonna come back.

HH VS was my morning smoke for a couple of years; I've been easing off on that, trying to stretch my supply. I've got 3 pounds of it - that should hold me for a while. Don't wanna be a greedhead. :puffy:

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Guys,
I know things aren't looking very good in Syria at the moment, but I can't help but think as long as there is Syria, there will be syrian Latakia too. C'mon cheer up !

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Syria hasn't produced a crop in decades. Nothing to do with the current turmoil. Cyprus has overtaken them. Even if they ever were to start production again I doubt they'd be able to gain a foothold again.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's damned hard to farm when everyone is shooting, bombing, or sending missiles into the family plot. Makes it hard to concentrate on the job at hand. I believe survival is the order of the day not growing tobacco. Assad is from the area and it is currently being fought over. It'll be a long time, if ever, before any Latakia is grown, much less harvested and taken to market. The current supply will be long gone before that happens.
The upside may be that new blends will be developed to fill the void.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
It's damned hard to farm when everyone is shooting, bombing, or sending missiles into the family plot. Makes it hard to concentrate on the job at hand. I believe survival is the order of the day not growing tobacco. Assad is from the area and it is currently being fought over. It'll be a long time, if ever, before any Latakia is grown, much less harvested and taken to market. The current supply will be long gone before that happens.
The upside may be that new blends will be developed to fill the void. New Latakia coming on the market will indeed revive its market. It'll be novel and everyone will clamor for it. Of course, some here will say that it is simply not as good as the "old stuff."
Of course all of this is speculation. Syria may indeed become the hot spot that sets off the next world war and it isn't gonna be pretty.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Perhaps we should listen to Warren and start stockin up on HH Vtg Syrian!(?)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I was just musing. But, when you get two of the world's three superpowers flying combat missions in the same air space for opposite sides of the conflict, nothing good can result. Cooler heads kept the same type of conflict, China and the USSR only sent a few troops and tons of equipment, in Nam.
I have the feeling that "cooler heads" are not available in this wee war.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
It's Vietnam and Korea all over again and I don't think we will ever see Syrian latakia again. I've got a very small stock pile. I need to buy a little more.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
When the time comes that my eldest boy can join me for a smoke, Syrian Lat will be a ghost of it's former self. Stashing some away may be fine for collecting but as others have said, it wont have the same taste as it does now.

Status
Not open for further replies.