Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Was Your First Time Like?

(36 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by scrumpyjack
  • Latest reply from renfield
  1. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

With all this talk about McClelland, I got to thinking about my first time. I have been smoking a pipe for about 12 years. I can remember as I explored different blends I was steered toward the Frog. That was my first experience with McClelland and I was blown away. On the Town has a strong presence in my cellar as well as several different years of Cheer. What was your first McClelland blend and is it still in your rotation?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We were but teenagers; She was nervous, and so was I, as we had never gone all the way to the tobacco store together. I loaded up a bowl of Christmas Cheer and thought that Virginias are quite tolerable.

Yes, still have some tins but not exactly in a rotation. Nor is she.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3 Oaks Syrian turned me into a serious pipe smoker, that stuff just blew my mind when I first started piping. Over the years my tastes have changed quite drastically but I still have one more tin in my cellar, saving it for a rainy day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Frog Morton was my first experience with McClelland and it was quite pleasant. I think Dark Star was my second. I was very much a novice at the time, didn't dry it, thought it tasted wonderful up to the point I fried the majority of my tongue. Thankfully, the tongue healed and it didn't deter me from enjoying thousands of bowls of McClelland Virginias since that first experience.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

Frog Morton for me. I loved the tin art and hobbit reference. I was hooked on Penzance at the time so this was right up my ally. Smokey deliciousness. My "rotation" back then was Penzance, Squadron Leader and Froggy. Ahh, the days when you could go to P&C and get whatever blend you want including Esoterica.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With a Tinderbox pipe and aromatic, and years of watching my dad "fire up his briar," as he said, it was pretty easy and pleasant. I think people who start out never having been around a pipe smoker or smokers are brave. It would be a lot more tentative and awkward, but it's not advanced calculus, I guess.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Red & Black made me not a fan. I turned to other offerings, like LBF and ODF.

I have a few tins of Frog and Orientals scattered through the cellar, but haven't really messed with them yet.

In the future, I'll likely pop them and say to myself, "So THAT'S what the fuss was all about."

Then I will load another bowl of the state sanctioned reduced nicotine tobacco simulation product and tune back in to the approved propaganda media content.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bought a tin of Christmas Cheer 2017 and was blown away by it. I still have a lot of it left too. I have an unopened Holiday Spirit 2016 and Blackwoods Flake that I'm eagerto try, but not too eager as I won't be able to get any more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

I haven't had any McClelland's blends yet, though I may have had a bowl of 3 Oaks, that sounds familiar. That being said, I was just gifted a jar of cellared Frog Morton from 2000, so I'll get to have that at least.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The year after I started smoking, Christmas Cheer 1992 came out. Discovered that Virginias were a favorite early on.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

12 years ago with some St. James Woods and Blackwoods Flake - not knowing what I was doing and not giving the blends enough dry time...they tore the crap out of my mouth , had burns for weeks - painful experience. I have lbs stocked up for the years to come and now that I know what I'm doing and with extra age on all of them I'm excited to break back into them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. samw74

samw74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Her name was Heidi. We were freshman at Albany . . . I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Original Frog Morton was my first MC blend. Back when I smoked English blends it was a favorite. When Frog on the Bayou came out, I bought some right away and really enjoyed that as well. I stopped smoking English blends over a decade ago, but still have fond memories of the Frog.
    My first attempt at smoking their red virginia's was when my buddy Mark told me I needed to buy a pound of 5100. That shit tore my tongue off and I ended up trading it ten years later. At the time I had no idea it was red virginia's that were burning my tongue off.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Her name was Heidi. We were freshman at Albany . . . I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

You lost your cheery to a German Shepherd??!!

My first remembered experience with McClelland was buy one of their bulk Virginias, under another name tagged to it by the B&M, about 27-28 years ago. I thought, "Do all Virginias taste like ketchup?"

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first MC blend was Christmas Cheer back in 1993/1994; that's the time when I started trying premium tobaccos. At the time, I couldn't imagine anything more delicious -- the same with their En/Balkan blends. I still have a few tins of 3 Syrian and Frog Morton from when I smoked more English blends. Although I do like MC VAs -- their CC and 40th and Dark Star and 24 blends especially -- I think now I have grown to prefer other VAs, especially those by Mac Baren/Capstan and SG and Wessex. But I am glad I have a few of the MC VAs I like to enjoy for the next few years. Harris, I think I understand your aversion to red VAs, as I find I have to be much more conscious of my cadence when I am smoking them. Sometimes I just want to read or think and not be so conscious of how I am sipping.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first McC was a blend made for a pipe enthusiast who ran a newstand near me. He was a bit of a mentor and got me on Escudo, his one main smoke. He also sold me my first can of an Esoterica blend. And sold me a bunch of pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first venture into McClelland tobaccos was a boxful of various Virginia flake tins. Though they were tasty I was left a little underwhelmed by their depth of flavour or rather lack of. I was comparing them (rightly or wrongly) with FVF which I find to be the best straight Virginia blend going. That said, I still did enjoy them.

I have some more tins waiting for me in the States which once they arrive here will be put away and forgotten about as I hear there is much improvement to be found after a few years.

Then of course I tried their #2015 VaPer Flake and was immediately smitten. By far the best of its genre in my humble opinion. I have a little put away and yet more on the way but not nearly enough to keep me smiling until I pop my clogs.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

My first time was like a covey of quail flew out my butt.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

My first love was and still is Full Virginia Flake. McClelland offered change of pace, twists and diversions, but I always return to FVF.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only blend i have tried is the Dark Star. I have found that i really enjoy Virginia's, however the Dark Star tasted like ketchup as the old cliche goes . So i have put it away to age . Do all there blends have this same flavor, because i have read that a lot. And if thats the case i feel like i won't be missing out as this blender retires.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of these responses are pure gold!

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first was Frog Morton Cellar, I bought it and saved it for the closing on the house and farm on which I now live. I was more of an English smoker then, and it was good enough that I keep it in my rotation, but it wasn't pure love. I played with a few others, Arcadia being pretty awesome. But then, on the anniversary of my marriage, sitting at a B&B with my wife, I popped a tin of Black Shag, and the smell captivated me. Upon lighting, I knew I was primarily a Virginia smoker from now on. This led me down the path of all of the wonderful McClelland Virginia flake tobaccos. I started buying pipes based on their dimensions and ability to smoke flaked Virginia tobaccos, folded and stuffed. That essence, call it all of the silly names that you want, will never be forgotten. I am saddened that I will only ever have what I have in my cellar to smell that glorious McClelland tin note on a good Virginia flake.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

She was nervous, and so was I

I smoked Lane Limited 1-Q for years and nothing more.. Then one day I had a friend ask me about pipe tobaccos and what to smoke and I started researching for him and created a TAD monster in myself. I was very interested in oriental forward english blends, which led me to my first McClelland Frog Morton on the town. Which at the time I absolutely loved, and it was a good sweet transition away from aro's. I am a LOTR fan as well, which made it more interesting.
    Later for me the real favorites are the VaPer's. Woodsroad posted pictures of an order of his with many Beacon Extra tins, after which I tried and loved, and fully regret not stocking up on many of those tins. 2015 as well is delicious.
    It all happened so fast, the roughly 3.5 pounds I have cellared isn't nearly enough..

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It all happened so fast

bluegrasspipe, this should have been your only response to your first time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Christmas Cheer was what did it first for me. It does make me sad that I missed out on some stuff that will never be seen again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

My first McClelland blend was 221-B Collection Black Shag because of being a Sherlock Holmes fan. But one of the most sublime smokes I ever had was from a tin of 1995 Christmas Cheer that we cracked open in 2005. It was like smoking English toffee.

Russ

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds sublime!

I tried cutting some toffee bars into a shag cut, but after applying flame, it reverted to a gooey mess....still was tasty, though.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It all happened so fast
    bluegrasspipe, this should have been your only response to your first time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My B&M had some house blends(aro's) that they recommended. I thought they smelled great but didnt get any flavour. I got discouraged until I tried Frog Morton on the Town. I was like yup, this is what I was looking for. Solani 633 came along not long after and I realised that I was a virginia guy and though I like latakia, it doesnt call to me like VA's.

#2015 VaPer Flake and was immediately smitten.

I feel the same way about the 2015. I dont know how long my stash will last, but Im going to enjoy every smoke out of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

My favorite Cheer so far has been 2007. I have several different years that I will not be cracking open for awhile now. They are something else for sure and I am really not a Virginia lover.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Frog Morton on the Bayou was my first encounter with McClelland. The ketchuppy thing was a bit overpowering at first, but became less noticeable after some air got to it. What truly impressed me was the absolute creaminess of the smoke. Since then I've tried some other Frog Morton blends, but FMOTB is the only one I repurchase. Although the smoky flavor tastes more aromatic than natural, I still smoke a tin now and again.

Dot
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Her name was Heidi...

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Blackwoods Flake was my first McClelland. After a transcendental experience one night on my back porch where all the stars aligned and the flavors of the Blackwoods Flake in my bowl just blew me away I knew I needed to start investing in a cellar. After stocking up on No. 27, St. James Woods, Christmas Cheer, and of course Blackwoods Flake I came back around to 5100 which had bored me initially. I wish I had not delayed stocking up a few more pounds on that one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A.M. Pipe was my first and I found I liked it better than EMP. Which at that time was saying something considering EMP turned me in to a raging English fan. I didn't stock up on it, nor am I smoking it anymore due to my Nic prefreence calls for something more intense. That said, if I were to stumble on a B&M with an unsold cache, I'd buy a pound of AM Pipe.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Balkan Blue was my first. I was a cigar snob and then tried pipes with English blends. I was hooked. I am now mainly a Virginia or VaPer guy but I did stock up on B.B. thank God.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was dark, I was nervous, I was alone ...

My first experience with McClelland was Arcadia probably in 2000 or 2001. It was an easy and tasty smoke and lead to massive McClelland TAD. In hindsight that turned out to be fortuitous.

Prior to finding McClelland I’d always found straight Virginias to be cigaretty. They subsequently opened the door to Orientals and Balkans. Without McClelland I probably wouldn’t be as deeply into the enjoyment of this hobby as I am.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   admin, georged, yaddy306, tfdickson