PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
I see them all the time. Some are really ugly and others are really beautiful. Around the rim instead of being smooth they are pointy almost like a stump? I'll try to find a picture

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Possibly you are thinking freehand pipes made of plateaux briar blocks, where the naturally craggy outer surface of the briar burl is left intact. Often these are of the "Danish freehand" type in which the maker has intentionally wanted to reveal the endgrain and typically has worked with the grain, and not so much with a predesigned shape in mind, which is more common.
400px-Briar_blocks.jpg

UqHtKBx.jpg

5053.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Like this?
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15543

paranoidpiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2015
Yes! Only some I've seen the spikes are even bigger. So the briar is just naturally that big or do they carve down to make them bigger?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Usually that big just depending on the burl the pipe is carved from. Freehand makers tend to let the flow of the grain determine the pipes shape, and sometimes the plateau is sanded a bit to make the pipes crown smoother while retaining a natural look. Most of my collection has plateau. Love the stuff!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Look for Nordings ,Ben Wades or try Denmark pipes in your search . SmokingPipes.com always has a great selection to choose from .Mike at Briar Blues has a bunch right now as well . Good luck in your search .

Status
Not open for further replies.