PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
Hi, I have tried many tobaccos but I find that it is somewhat rare that I actually like one.
So far I like Kendal Cream, Kendal Red, and Clan Aromatic.
Could someone recommend me some more tobaccos you think I might like?
Thanks

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
The top 100 best selling at Smokingpipes.com
https://www.smokingpipes.com/bestselling/index.cfm?page=tinned-pipe-tobacco&displayNum=100
If something sounds interesting have a look here;
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/
I haven't tried the ones you've mentioned so I can't comment on anything similar. I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions though. Welcome to the forum :puffy:

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
Well, the taste. Is that a stupid answer lol.
The ones I didn't like tasted sort of... bitter? I don't really know how to describe what I do and don't like. But one thing I have noticed is that if a tobacco is dark chances are I won't like it, but if it is a light colour then there's a chance I will like it. I haven't yet found a dark colored tobacco I like.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
McClelland - Classic Samsun seems to be right down your alley.
Also, check out Hearth and Home - Virginia Spice, Hearth and Home - Viprati.

Light, dark, in the aromatic world,. that doesn't mean much. There are lots of different leaf that can be dark, some better than others. And, sometimes the topping may darken the leaf. But, these you mention are Virginia/burley blends.

So, I am guessing that beyond the added toppings, which you probably can't taste very much of, besides smelling in the room note, you may be enjoying the background tobacco flavors, which include a tangy Virginia. You might try searching out Virginia based aromatics. I could list a few, but this is not my thing. Plus, you may know better than me which flavors you'd be interested in. Maple, whisky, kendal cream, these are out of my range of experience. However, one blend comes to mind that lots of guys like, C&D Autumn Evening is a great aromatic. And, the tobacco flavor is pretty good also.
I'm sure that others will be better able to list off some to try.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Oh I think you would like McClelland's 400 Creme Caramel and it's bulk so it's relatively inexpensive. Also that autumn evening suggestion from Cosmic is a good one.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
So far I like Kendal Cream, Kendal Red, and Clan Aromatic.
Could someone recommend me some more tobaccos you think I might like?
Kendal Red was Gawith's match for Amphora Red when the latter stopped being sold in the UK. Idk how close it is, but I like Amphora Red and you might give it a try. Get some Amphora Brown while you're at it. I like it better, it's a more natural-tasting blend without the cryptic fruity essence.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Hi, I have tried many tobaccos but I find that it is somewhat rare that I actually like one. So far I like Kendal Cream, Kendal Red, and Clan Aromatic. Could someone recommend me some more tobaccos you think I might like?
Well, since you are asking the question, I have to assume you are pretty new to pipes? First of all, asking others what to smoke is the hardest of questions; you say you have tried many tobaccos but it is rare that you like any of them, so that begs the question of why you keep trying them. Maybe pipes are not for you, or at least, it greatly narrows the chance of recommending one that will fit your fancy!
I've been smoking pipes for about 45 years and have my favorites, but I find pleasure even in blends that aren't my ideal, and those few I just don't like as they are, I find ways of mixing them with something else to bring them around, but I've never even tried (or heard of all three of) those blends you mention, so it makes me wonder how it is that so early in your trials you have, and what brought you to try them out of the thousands out there?
Lastly, what you've tried (the many blends) that you DIDN'T like is at least as important as what you liked. If you've tried 45 different tobaccos and have only found 3 you like, for instance, that would tell a lot more about where your tastes are; also knowing the pipes you are smoking them in and how you are smoking them.
Answers to questions like those give the forum a much better chance at steering you in the right direction rather than just making pot-shot guesses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two aromatics I like are Edward G. Robinson (Sutliffs) and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. But the world of aromatics is vast and you really need to make a hobby of perusing the tobacco pages of online retailers comparing the constituent tobaccos of the blends you like with others to see what might suit you. About 95% of the pipe tobacco market is aromatics, so you are in the majority by far.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Perhaps you ought consider steering yourself away from aromatic or flavoured blends and try some that actually taste of tobacco and nothing else?
In that genre the variety is huge ranging from very mild Virginia blends to full on dark fired blends. Some pretty sweet, others positively sour but all pretty much natural, pure unadulterated tobacco.
Just a thought :puffy:
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I find that Velvan Plug's topping is very similar to that of Kendal Cream but unfortunately they took it off the market but you could possibly still find some at your local shop depending on where you live. I would say that if you like Kendal Cream chances are you will like Condor as well. Condor would be my number 1 recommendation!
If you like Kendal Red, try Amphora since that is actually what they are trying to emulate.
Some other recommendations:
GH&Co:

Ennerdal

Kendal Flake

Bosun Cut Plug

Westmorland Slices
Samuel Gawith:

Lakeland Dark

RB Plug
Misc:

3P's

Irish Flake

Warrior Plug

McQuade Plug

Maltan RR

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
what on earth is Kendal Red?
Gawith_Hoggarth_Kendal_Red_Aromatic_Pipe_Tobacco_Amphora_Red_Substitute.jpg

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I’m no help, I like most everything I smoke. But I would recommend trying samplers.

Status
Not open for further replies.