PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redawg53

Lurker
May 13, 2017
10 month newbie here. I enjoy Balkan Blue, Plum Pudding, FVF, Escudo, Orlik golden sliced, Lane 1Q to name a few. Was wondering which of these I should stock up on before the FDA takes them away. Also if you guys could point me in the direction of other tobaccos along these flavorings that will/might go away next year? ty

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would stock up based on what you like rather than what you think the FDA might eliminate. Middleton's Walnut up and disappeared, even though it seemed like it sold well. That was well before the FDA deeming crap. If you like any of the Dunhill blends, you might want to snag a few of those; their future is very uncertain.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I believe that Balkan Blue and Plum Pudding are both at risk, but the others you listed should be fine? You may want to browse the GL Pease website? It has release dates listed, and blends like Quiet Nights, Gaslight, etc. look to be at risk as well? I think most people search the blend they have questions about on the tobacco reviews website to look at review dates for an idea of whether it may or may not be at risk?

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
0BqONE3.jpg

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Lightmybriar sent me a sample of Newminster 400 superior navy flake and it was damn fine! I would order some but it appears to be backordered. At less than $3 an oz for 4 oz it is easy to see why.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
@aldecaker- not sure, never had it! Newminster 400 is all virginia with no perique.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I seem to remember hearing that some of the Newminster line are actually the exact same as some of the PS bulk offerings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a good inquiry on this thread, but simultaneously we should all be looking into what will remain on the market, unless resale of discontinued items is the goal.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For something a bit different, try some McCrainie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake. Get it while you can, because when it's gone it's gone. About 2/3rds of Pease's blends will be toast so buy a selection, H&H Black House, H&H Anniversary Kake, etc, and don't be too sanguine about the continued availability of any blends made outside of the US.
This is a good inquiry on this thread, but simultaneously we should all be looking into what will remain on the market, unless resale of discontinued items is the goal.
Resale of discontinued items is always the goal. This is a brotherhood, so gouging each other is tradition.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I can grow anything and have been since I was young. What I have no clue about is how do you go about flue curing tobacco, which benefit most from air drying versus a kiln, how much time for each step after cropping, when do you case and with what, etc. I have looked at some of the various DIY sites but they are far from experts. It seems like a crap shoot as to what works best and what doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.