PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I really like to sit back and enjoy the light show, hear the rain, the thunder, and take it all in. Is there anyone else who enjoys the same? If you have a tobacco designated for the occasion...what is it? What about the seasons?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a mild dry evening any time of the year to sit outside on the front porch and listen to the night noises. I liked Midwestern storms growing up, the theatrical aspect and various stages of churning up and settling down, the changing clouds and light. In the Southeast, rainy weather can get awfully soupy and these days it makes my joints ache. The recent tropical storm had it raining for almost two weeks, not a morale booster.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like watching storms from my porch with a pipe. Warm weather tends to favor Virginias and cool brings out the latakias. Smoking Black Frigate in a Bruce Weaver volcano right now enjoying a light rain before having to get ready for work.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I feel the same way as you all. Nothing like sitting on your balcony or porch, watching the rain, feeling the cool breeze and smoking a lovely English blend. I think latakia goes great with said weather. I like to keep things varied, so on sunny, hot summer days, an English/Balkan hits the spot just right.

And, when it comes to the times of day, another blend/genre that I find great on really early mornings, just as the sun is rising, is a good English. Late in the day, and at night, my preference is to switch things up, so I'll reach to a good English blend. With said variety you will never have a dull smoking moment.

critter

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
I personally keep a tin of Frog Morton Across The Pond on hand for rain, and there is something about the smell of rain that makes me crave it. I don't really smoke it any other time though. I have been working on the same tin of it for a few years now...

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I enjoy hearing the rain... Especially under a canvas tarp or a tin roof... In regards to the type of tobacco, a good English or Balkan always hits the spot.... Oh wait, that's what I tend to smoke everyday :puffy:

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
There was a bit from the TV show M*A*S*H where Hawkeye gets a flash burn right into his face and is temporarily blinded. He has his eye wrapped and looses his sense of sight but enhances his other senses. He describes the sound of rain falling on a wet surface as the same as bacon frying, sound I have listened for since whenever the opportunity arrises. Lovely image actually. My own preference is to have somewhat stronger aromatics when there is heavy rain and softer Virginia based tobaccos for drier weather. When it gets cold the latakia comes out. Just personal preference...

Status
Not open for further replies.