PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Okay so I got a bunch of PS Bulls Eye Flake but it way too mild for me, I taste nothing. Can anyone here suggest a blend or tobacco that would blend well with it?

May 4, 2015
More Bullseye Flake.
But seriously, you taste nothing? How do you do with other Virginia-based stuff or VaPers? Are you an experienced smoker?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
For me, it's already a pretty great smoke, and I always have a bowl or two of Nightcap, for the nic hit at bedtime...I'm retired. :wink:

May 4, 2015
It's an excellent smoke - would just hate to see it not get a fair shake before it gets mixed up with something else :P

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you taste nothing either you aren't ready for Va's, as they're the last type of tobacco pipe smokers should be exploring, you really have to sip these slow to get their flavors. I would suggest letting it age and once you've really got the technique down, try again. Or Va's may just not be your thing if you're an experienced smoker. It is on the mild/medium end of the spectrum but it has a very classic Va taste with some added sweetness, and a bit of spice from the perique. What do you consider medium to strong for blends?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It also could be too wet which results in a very mild smoke, plus not as much flavor, so perhaps dry it a bit.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Maybe its just certain Virginias but on their own I just taste smoke and maybe a little bit of tang. When in blends I can taste Virginias very well. I love Elizabethan Match, I can taste the sweet Viginias in blends like Presbyterian, Habana Daydream, Quiet Nights etc. Dark Star is another Virginia that smells strong but no taste for me..

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
It is a cool relaxing smoke: see my review in the reviews subforum. I had a similar reaction to you. It would be a nice all-day smoke, but I don't smoke all day. Usually I'm looking for a before bed treat, so I want something that will knock my socks off, like a GH rope, Nightcap, etc.
I felt it was unfair for me to try to make it something that it's not, but I bet if you added some blending perique you might get what you want without abusing the blend to much, since it already has some perique in there.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Stronger blends for me would be : Habana Daydream, Nightcap, Lancer Slices, Haunted Bookshop (for a burley).

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I only have about 6 ounces but I do plan on aging them and smoking them, I just thought someone here might have an idea of what would go good with Bulls Eye to spice it up a bit or change the flavor profile for me.
Beastinview: I have some Turkish on order so I may try that or maybe add some Pattons Dark and Stormy or maybe just more Black Cavendish..
If its just my immature palate than thats cool too as I have some cellered.

May 4, 2015
I kid, of course. I honestly hope you end up loving it.
It's like my wife and mozzarella sticks. She doesn't like them. She likes cheese, she likes fried foods, she likes marinara.. Can't stand mozzarella sticks. I can't wrap my brain around it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The same thing happens to me with light blends like this, sometimes they taste rich and complex but sometimes they don't taste much like anything. I'm gonna tell you a trick that works for me to bring out the flavor and it works every single time! People are going to think this is odd but this is how I accidentally fell in love with Escudo. Next time you smoke a pipe load up 2 to 3 different pipes for one smoking session. Make sure one of them is an English blend. Char light the Bullseye Flake really well and let it sit for ten minutes while you smoke your pipe with the previously loaded English, once that bowl starts getting warm, set it down and revisit the Bullseye Flake and I promise you, you will enjoy it like you never have before! You will taste all sorts of wonderful subtleties and nuances in it. Strange, I know, but it works for me and everyone else I've ever shared this with. After awhile your taste memory will expand and you won't have to use this trick every time to experience mild VA's but for now it will do you wonders!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Depends what you like, and in what proportion. Any of various burleys might be good, but only if you like burley -- some can't taste it, and some dislike it. Other options include blending tobaccos which could include Latakia, more Perique, Turkish, or cigar leaf, among others. I think you should try it again on its own eventually. Virginia can seem mild, but it develops with use for many.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Hawky: heh, I actually do that with english and mild aromatics to get more flavor from them. Your right, it kinda resets your taste buds. But yes I will try that with Bulls eye.
Chasingembers - Yep as I retrohale everything as a aro lover thats a must!
Pipesmokingtom: Yeah its weird that everyone has different tastes and opinions. I hate when people disagree with me but I'm getting used to it hehe :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Anything with Virginia's takes some time to appreciate. Where your sense of taste is primed with heavy flavored aros, it may just be a matter of conditioning your taste buds to pick up delicate flavors. Keep trying!

Status
Not open for further replies.