PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I tried to find the answer to this question in the forum search engine. I may have overlooked it, and if so, I really apologize.
I just noticed that some of my older pipes, that have been stored in an open closet which does get some sunlight, have white spots of mold on the top of the bowl. White spots also appear down inside the bowl. And now, I have noticed that some white spots appear on the steam, along with some bad oxidation.
I have some old Everclear. Can I use that to rub down inside the bowls and across the top of the bowl. Or should I use plain alcohol.
As for the stems, I am at a loss as to what to do there, other than try either olive oil, toothpaste, or Obsidian.
What to do?

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I think I would probably ream out the chamber, and then do a salt/alcohol - cotton ball/alcohol treatment. Run some Everclear-soaked cleaners through the stems, then put the stems in a solution of Oxyclean and warm water for 15 to 30 minutes, take 'em out and rinse 'em off, then scrub 'em down with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Then I would apply some olive oil. Just because I haven't gotten around to ordering any Obsidian, and my B&M and local smoke shops don't carry it. I would also most likely clean the shank out with some Everclear. I don't know what I'd do with mold on the rims... probably scrub 'em with spit and paper towels. What say the Sinister Six? LOL :puffy:

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
My bad, guys. I should have put this over in the sub-forum on pipes repair and maintenance. If I knew how to move it, I would. Mayhaps a mod can do this for me.
Anyway, thanks lostandfound for your advice. I have never tried the salt/alcohol method and understand you have to be quite careful. As I am a klutz, this might not work.
I think I will try the other things you mentioned. I suppose the Oxyclean is the same Oxyclean you buy for washing clothes?
And by cotton ball/alcohol treatment, is that in place of the salt/alcohol treatment?
And thanks for your help.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
There's tons of info all around this site, just gotta keep poking around because there's so much of it and it's best to bookmark something you find interesting so you can call upon it at a later date. The search function is a bit wonky but we still are able to find stuff!
The first link is to a very useful thread for you. The second link is to an article about generally how to go about a deep cleaning, and the third link is an easy step by step with pics on how to remove oxidation from stems.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/oxidation-removal-on-stems#post-218625
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/briar-pipe-repairs-home-remedies/
http://pipesmagazine.com/matchstickman/pipe-smoking/from-stem-to-stern-pipe-stem-restoration-with-no-buffing-wheel-or-power-tools/#comments
P.S. The salt alcohol and the cotton alcohol treatment are exactly the same. You're just replacing the salt with the alcohol as some do not like the extra clean up you have to do with the salt... and if you dare forget about it the salt will be rock hard and stuck inside your pipe. Cotton ball method is just easier.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I don't think you have to be TOO delicate with the salt/alchohol treatment. I'd start by folding a pipe cleaner in two and stuffing it in the shank, making sure it just barely pokes through the draft hole. Then fill the bowl with your salt (I think it's supposed to be non-iodized), and a few drops of the Everclear. I like to do this in 1/3's. Fill the bowl 1/3 of the way with salt, then Everclear, then another third salt- everclear, and then fill to just below the rim with the last bit of salt, and top with a few more drops of Everclear. Let that sit for two or three days, then- take your czech tool, or what have you, and use that to gently scrape out the dried up salt. Finally, wipe her out with a few pipe cleaners and allow to dry for another two or three days.
Yes, regular store bought Oxyclean is what I used. Powdered version my friend.
The salt, and the cotton balls, as I re-collect, are used to absorb the tars and oils that the Everclear draws out of the briar. So, either option works as well as the other, cotton balls being less messy.
Here's a thread that I found, that lead me to using the Oxyclean on some recently acquired estates.

http://pipesmagazine.com/matchstickman/pipe-smoking/from-stem-to-stern-pipe-stem-restoration-with-no-buffing-wheel-or-power-tools/
I didn't bother with the micromesh, so my stems are black, but not glossy.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I knew I would find the answers here. Thanks again to lostandfound, Spartan and Roth.
I am sorry I couldn't find those links on the search engine. I may have simply plugged in the wrong keyword.
Anyway, you guys, as always are awesome. Now I can get busy cleaning up some old pipes.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.