PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Ok. So I see stuff on Ebay or wherever and would love to talk to you all about it. BUT I am afraid some lurker will ninja my ass if I post it. There are a good few of you I trust, and want to specifically thank Jesse for his advice about the Barlings from the Sidney estate. So I am often left with these questions I have to ask after the fact. I then often forget to ask them. But not THIS time!
I bid on this pipe from the MD Governor's estate. I have no clue what the hell it was, but I am a true and genuine sucker for weird ass pipes.
It was completely unmarked, except for the stem logo, which matches the BBB hand made ivory looking stem.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Any ideas what the heck this pipe is about?
I was sad I missed out on it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Lol! I know, right? It is just the kind of weird pipe I would have loved to have gotten. I bid stupid high, too considering I didn't know about it, and still lost.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the two protruding apparently metal rods or tubes have a function, that would help explain this curious design. If they have no function, it is inexplicable, except maybe that someone thought it made the pipe's design eye catching. I think this must be a home workshop project, quite well executed. It appears unsmoked. A spaceship, a hot rod?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This pipe makes a good photo but I wouldn't want it hanging around the house.

Jun 27, 2016
mso489
If the two protruding apparently metal rods or tubes have a function, that would help explain this curious design. If they have no function, it is inexplicable, except maybe that someone thought it made the pipe's design eye catching. I think this must be a home workshop project, quite well executed.
I was thinking all of these things, or maybe a factory prototype of some sort. If they are functional, I was thinking storage, or some sort of double-calabash system which might have a ported insert in the bottom of the bowl in addition to a moisture-trap system with wicks (pipecleaners) that you could swap by removing the silver caps. I saw the auction listing through the link in the other thread, but I don't think that there were pics of the bottom of the bowl.

Jun 27, 2016
I don't think it's a lighter. Even for an eternal match you have to dump fuel in there, and I don't see that working out too well when in use. It's also hard to tell if those caps are movable or removable. It's possible that one is movable or removable and one is static and "just for decorations, man".

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I think if you push the buttons down when you draw through the stem it produces a different note, simple 3 note songs can be made to give the strolling pipe smoker a chance to turn busker at the drop of a hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.