"What the Heck is an ‘AeroBilliard’ and an ‘Inverted-Calabash’"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Kevin for starting this thread! I'm really excited that Luca over at Neatpipes has begun manufacturing the reverse calabash design in its new line of Chubby, called the AeroBilliard. I'm sorely tempted to pick one up. I understand that Luca began the project after visiting Rolando Negoita.
Last year I commissioned a reverse calabash design from Rolando Negoita called the Conducta. And I must say its my favorite pipe. I even had Rolando stamp my initials on the pipe so I could never sell it. If you tried the Calabash, then you'll understand these reverse designs. The chamber provides for a much more flavorful and nuanced smoke. Here's some snaps of my Conducta. Easy to clean too, as you can loose your pinky in the shank!
120501.jpg

IMAG1838-1.jpg

IMAG1836-1.jpg

Mark Irwin's blog on Neat Pipes has a brilliant writeup on the history of the reverse calabash design. Really exciting to see this concept take off.
http://www.neatpipes.com/blog/launch-of-the-neatpipes-chubby-aerobilliard/&id=30?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=%22Wednesday+is+Neatpipes%21%21%22+-+Newsletter+...&utm_source=YMLP&utm_term=%26ldquo%3BLaunch+of+the+Neatpipes...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's a variation of the Peterson 80s bent bulldog, but with a chamfered tenon. BTW, if you have an 80s and don't like how it smokes, funnel out the end off that big tenon and you've basically got a version of the "reverse calabash."
EDIT: The chamber on the chubby is about 5mm wider and about 3mm longer than the Peterson -- a not insignificant difference, but the effects are much the same.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Lonestar made one. I wonder how they compare.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/reverse-calabash

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
Here is a link to Neill Roan's blog, where he critiques this gorgeous Italian "second chamber" pipe.....
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2013/3/23/neatpipes-aerobilliard-takes-flight.html

Dec 24, 2012
I almost pulled the trigger on one of those new aero pipes while cruising the neatpipes website. Two things have kept me from it so far. First, I'm not sure such a short pipe would really work for me. % inches is about the smallest I have ever gone. Second, the models that caught my eye were already sold out.
It is a neat concept though and I would like to try one at some point.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I do agree the new Radice line Aero billiards are a bit too short for me. I'm a clencher, and I find these really short pipes tend to get smoke in my eyes. If they were just a wee bit longer I'd be sorely tempted. But the reverse calabash design does produce a cooler more flavorful smoke for me. And I'd highly recommend Neill's article. He's right, its a great innovation. Re: the Peterson 80S. I've got a few of them but I wouldn't consider the shank chambers at all comparable to those on a reverse calabash design. Ill try to post s picture of the two side by side to show the difference.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Cortez! Here's a side by side of my Peterson Donegal Rocky 80S and Negoita's Conducta. I'd imagine the Radice chamber should be close, as Luca says they got the idea from Negoita on the Neatpipe website. So I'd imagine the Aero billiard is closer to the Negoita than a Peterson. There's a world of difference.
IMAG1276-1-1.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Man, these Aero billiards by Radice are selling like pankakes! The first lot finished right quick. Then this morning I got their email announcing the second slew, and bam when I clicked all were spoken for save one. They certainly scored a winner.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I've been wanting one for a while now. Mostly because of their smoking capabilities but also for the looks. I think this is a great looking pipe:
chubby-725.jpg

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I wanted one for a long time and after reading all the praise I ordered 2 from neatpipes. I like chubby shape in fact I have one Neatpipes Radice for a couple of years. Will report back when I smoke them.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, I'm glad they went to fellow forum members here. Kevin, your PM promotion & these threads probably contributed to their sales. It's nice to see such a direct connection, and should encourage other advertisers to the advantages of advertising here. Buzz creation leads to sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.