What Term Applies When You Push Smoke Out Through the Sinuses?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Remember that Fruit Loops commercial,
Follow your nose!

It always knows!
For that, you may think my taste is in my nose, not that I would be the first in line for a blend flavored with any fruity cereal. However, the taste is at least twice as intense for me when I "exhale" (but not really exhale, as I never really inhale it) the smoke which I allow to drift up through my sinuses and out my nose.
There must be a term of reference for that sort of flavor-enhancing nose trick - anybody got one?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just don't do it too often or you'll go blind.

Wait a minute; I think I might just possibly be confusing this with something else? :?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's the same reason why you can't taste anything when you have a sinus infection.

May 4, 2015
you may think my taste is in my nose
That's really where everyone's taste is. We combine information from our taste buds and our olfactory sensors to pick out what we think of as flavors.
I retrohale at least every third puff. I notice a lot more natural sweetness and pick out the flavor of virginias more readily that way.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I believe my form of retrohaling is what I've heard and read as a tecnique known as breathe smoking. If I'm sitting and reading I tend to clench the pipe and I sip so incospicuously that my wife doesn't realize I'm actually smoking except for the occasional backwash of smoke coming from the bowl. The flavors can be sublime when I'm really in the zone. I have to concentrate a bit more when I'm walking the dog or some such thing but "out through the nose" is for sure the tastiest smoking there is.

ckgdrums

Lurker
May 20, 2015
If I'm sitting and reading I tend to clench the pipe and I sip so incospicuously that my wife doesn't realize I'm actually smoking
I do the same thing... so much easier to pick out flavors that way.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The scientific term for the phenomenon of tasting more intensely when the nose is involved is olfaction. The senses of taste and smell are very closely linked, and in fact don't function all that well if separated. Think of how things taste when you've got a bad cold or allergies - a stuffed-up nose equals rather bland taste sensations. If you're fortunate enough not to have allergies or a bad cold, simply plug your nose while tasting something - a cinnamon gummy bear, for example, or a piece of candied ginger. Once you feel some reaction on your tongue, unplug your nose and see what happens... :D
Same thing with tobacco smoke. If you simply take it into your mouth and push it back out, you're only getting a fraction of the flavor profile. Getting the sinuses involved is crucial to understanding the flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.