What Sort Of Idiot Pays $275 For A Small Tin Of Tobacco?!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
While it's been 15+ years since I first smoked a pipe it wasn't until this past year that I really entered into this hobby. If someone had told me six months ago that I'd come to spend a grand on a pipe I never would've believed it. Today I crossed another line. You read through forums and magazines about these unobtainable legendary tobaccos and it's impossible not want to see what all the hype is about. This week I lost my mind and I blame pipestud, a dealer of such tobacco. This week I've purchased two tins of 20yr old Penzance, one lg tin of Edgeworth from the early '90's, a container of Bohemian Scandal from 2004, and just a little while ago I spent $275 for a tin of Balkan Sobranie 759 ca 1985'ish!!!! I can't believe it!!! I can rationalize the cost of pipes. They are hardware, but tobacco is fuel. It goes up in smoke. I'm feeling quite a bit foolish. Apparently I'm the sort of idiot who pays $275 for a tin of tobacco.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Just my opinion, but it's only idiotic if you can't afford it. As long as it doesn't cost you a house, marriage, weeks worth of groceries etc... If you enjoy it, it is worth it.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Congrats on the acquisition! Indeed!
I have been there, and I think good vintage tobaccos are similar to old whiskey. I would keep myself healthy so that I can continue this hobby in moderation so that on certain special days, I can foresee that I will be able to enjoy a bowl of two some of these heavenly / legendary smoke. :puffy:

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I used to spend that much on 8 very high end c cigars back in the day and they're long gone. Not a big deal really. Enjoy.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I saw that bid, and I was thinking the same thing, just kidding, and you were not the only one seriously wanting that tin, lots of bids. If you aren't spending the milk money, why not? I always bid on a couple of Pipestud's items, rarely win, but the two I have won were sweet. I wanted the 5 pipe teak pipe holder with drawer that was up this week as well as your tin, and fell out at $96 and it went for $112.50. Sometimes you draw a line, and sometimes you just pay up. Enjoy your tin.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I smoked a couple metric tons of the stuff back when it was available. It was one of the two blends that I got with my first two pipes. It cost $6.50 as I recall... for a half pound tin. :lol:
(to be fair, that's about $35 in today's money)
Are you an idiot? Well, given that you have sufficient discretionary income to treat yourself in such a way, I'd say probably not.
Enjoy!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've never spent that much money on a pipe let alone on 1.75 ounces of tobacco.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Now while I would not have bought it, the 275.00 gets me 40+ tins or 15 pounds of bulk for the cellar and I am thrifty like that. Heck 70% of my cellar will be a year old in 2 months and with that amount of cash I can cellar a lot of different blends. I am too new to really appreciate something like that.
But on the other hand, I have close to 3000 cigars and 110 pounds of pipe baccy in the cellar so who am I to talk.
You wanted it, so you got it. I say enjoy it and well done.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow 6.50 for a half pound!! I'm certain this purchase is a one time thing. Sometimes a curiosity just has to be satisfied. I used to own a bar and when I first obtained my liquor license I began sampling to decide what I would carry. Lucky for me I'm not a drinker, but to better understand the product I purchased a bottle of chateaux Margaux from my distributor. Wholesale it was a thousand dollar bottle of wine. I drank if and it was truly extraordinary. For me I have a better understanding of something when I sample the best and worst a product has to offer. Doing so in situations such as this stings a little. It just does, but I'll get over it. I'll either enjoy the tin or hold it. I'm curious to know which way I'll go. I might just invite anyone in the Birmingham area to meet at The Briary to try it with me.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I feel ya. I have not spent that much on a tin, but I have spent a lot lately on vintage tins, and pretty much only smoke vintage tobacco at this point.
It's all good brother.. smoke on!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you have the money and it gives you pleasure, why not?
I have a few superannuated items in my stores, but after sampling quite a number of these I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth it for me for the simple reason that few of these actually hold up over time. Latakia fades, and after 30+ years it's faded a lot. I'm better off buying the empty tin.
The other thing to keep in mind is that these super old tobaccos deteriorate with an alarming speed once the top is popped, so enjoy it quickly.
I've just got done smoking some 77 year old Capstan. It was interesting, oddly enjoyable, probably over the hill, and not something on which I would have wanted to spend a ton of money. My tin of Bohemian Scandal is probably at its peak now, and I'll bring it to Vegas this fall to share.
Tobaccos at 5-15 years I'll spring for. Past that it's a coin toss. Above 30 years, good luck!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I recently smoked through my last tallboy of MM73. The whole "Latakia fades" story was dispelled by all who partook in these tins over the years.

Anyway, I say God bless ya, buy it, smoke it, and enjoy it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-tobacco-tins-/201355669175?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee1bbaeb7 Since you're already on a roll I'd snap these up, now that's a good deal. I can't believe nobody has snapped those up with a buy it now price like that.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Ha if your willing to spend the money. Now if it was 8oz I'd do it. I am more a quantity person when it's a higher priced blend. Needless to say I am sure you will enjoy. Happy smoking!

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Let's just say that, in my time, I've spent a lot more bones for a lot less fun and leave it at that.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have some BE from the 70's and 80's, both good and jarred have held up with no deterioration. Mine were gifted to me however.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I recently smoked through my last tallboy of MM73. The whole "Latakia fades" story was dispelled by all who partook in these tins over the years.
Not dispelled. Not a story. Just a simple fact that's pretty well acknowledged by blenders and smokers, your experience notwithstanding. Mine goes otherwise.
Bottom line, if you're happy with the smoke, and it's worth the money to you, that's all that matters.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Latakia definitely fades, but that 80 year old Capstan turned to dust. There is no doubt that taste profiles and characteristics change or fade. But again each to his own. I recently traded for a 10 year old tin of Escudo. And it is amazing. If I had funds to buy whatever I wanted I would buy all I could. Enjoy it. Love the story about the wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.