1. sutliff privete stock - mplto dolce

2. peterson - sherlock holmes

3. savinelli - cavendish

4.Cornell & Diehl -Black Frigate

And I also have:

1.7 Seas regular

2. MacBarren cherry

3.Captian Black royal

Now i have 4 pipes and my question is that? what blands can I smoke in the same pipe? What bland is compiteble with what?

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
OK. But I saw on uTube that if you smoke one kind and then another you have a taste leftover which in some cases can be worse then in other cases as it gets absorbed in the bowl. So are there any guidelines or should I just smoke what I like in what pipe I want?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I just grab a pipe off the rack (as long as it has been rested) and stuff whatever I wish to in it. I've never tasted any 'ghosting' from a previous tobacco, but then again I have the taste buds of 40 grit sandpaper.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If it's on the net it must be the truth.
Seriously, some of the members do dedicate pipes to certain tobaccos. I'm just not one of them. Some feel the Meershaums do not ghost. If you look at all of the oils and gunk that permeate the pipe, obviously they ghost, maybe not as noticeably as briars.
I simply enjoy the pipe and am not interested in making the simple enjoyment complicated. Some of the members are dead cert that pipe smoking must be a "deeper" experience than the simply filling and smoking. More power to them, it's simply not the way I do it. I'm only addressing your question from my experience and style.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Ok. I like that way of thinking. Now considering the first 4 blends, any suggestion with what to start?

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
There is a school of thought that wide bowls work for one type of tobacco (Virginia and VaPers vs. English/Balkans) and narrow bowls for another. For the life of me I can never recall which way it goes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Since you have listed all Aromatic tobaccos I would say it does not matter.
If you start smoking Virginia Flakes and Latakia blends I would consider dedicating a pipe to each.
It's pretty difficult to get the nuances of a Va Flake like Klondike Gold if you're

smoking it out of a pipe that has been seeing a lot of Lat blends. YMMV

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I agree with Cobguy. It shouldn't matter with what you bought.

Ditto that. Your blends are all close enough in style that it's not going to matter. And with only 4 pipes to work with, you'll probably not be able to stick to a strict plan anyway.
Personally, I have plenty of pipes and smoke a fairly wide variety of tobaccos, but I don't bother trying to get any finer-grained than "Latakia pipes" and "non-Latakia pipes". If I smoked heavy aromatics, those would get a dedicated pipe as well. Beyond that, life is just too short.
Just smoke em however you like.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm one of the ones who has dedicated pipes for different types of tobacco blends. I'm not overly worried about ghosting - I'm just trying to learn the subtleties of different blends without any distractions. I have a couple of pipes that I use for various aromatic blends, a couple that I use for Latakia-heavy blends, some for Va/Per blends, and once I move into straight Virginias, I'll decide whether or not to just use my Va/Per pipes for those, or use that as an excuse for a new pipe or two... :D
As noted, most of the blends you mention would be in the aromatic category for me, so just pick one that you like the smell of, pick a pipe that you like the look and feel of, and go for it!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I usually just grab a pipe off the racks. I use a cob if I think it might be something ghosty. Picked up a nice estate gourd calabash

the other day. It had something smoked in it, consistently, that I could not stand. Might have been Syrian, I have never smoked any of it. Smelled like an old ladies perfume :cry: Finally got it cleaned off the gourd, but have not smoked it yet. I have been trying to be patient and let it dry out well.
“Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.”

― Aristotle

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You might address the issue by dedicating one pipe to each tobacco blend genre:

• Latakia (and dark fired)

Lakeland

Aromatic & flavored Cavendish

Virginia (and variations: VaPer, VaBur, Oriental, etc.)
It's been my experience that most cross contamination doesn't last indefinitely; and the ghosts of pleasures-past

will quickly fade with proper cake maintenance and cleaning. Lakeland is probably the most persistent.
BTW, there's nothing wrong with owning only 4 pipes, but IMO

you should consider investing in a bag of cobs to flesh-out your rotation.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Since you have listed all Aromatic tobaccos I would say it does not matter.
Sherlock Holmes is not an aro - it's a Virginia/burley blend. Black Frigate has got latakia in it. (I don't know how much latakia,because I haven't smoked it,but, from reviews,I get the impression it might have a fair amount.) The rest are aros.
You might address the issue by dedicating one pipe to each tobacco blend genre:
I'm a firm believer in this. Latakia does ghost pipes,as can aros. I keep a latakia rotation and a Virginia rotation. I'd also second Cortez suggestion of picking up a few cobs to flesh out your rotation.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't bother trying to get any finer-grained than "Latakia pipes" and "non-Latakia pipes".
Same here ... a simple dividing line that helps me enjoy the flavors a little more.
Sherlock Holmes is not an aro - it's a Virginia/burley blend. Black Frigate has got latakia in it.
Sherlock Holmes is reported to have a notable Citrus topping in it's reviews and Black Frigate

is topped with Rum.
As for picking up some Cobs ... I think you know how I feel about that! :D

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pipes do ghost, but unless it is a Lakeland variety, where the topping is liberal and large, it usually burns out in a few bowls. Some guys like ghosts for added complexity. I dedicate pipes because when I am smoking blend X I only want to taste X. As has been said, cobs can enhance your pipe rotation inexpensively, and low-dollar buys of estates can do the same so that you can spend on more expensive pipes at a time when it suits your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.