PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2016
Greetings to everyone here!
I am fairly new to the pipe smoking hobby but I am totally hooked. I used to smoke cigars and switched over, at first so that I could smoke nice tobacco everyday and not spend alot of money on it.
I come from and live in Iceland and we only have one tobacoonist here, and getting cigars here is not that hard, but I think we have only the following brands of pipe tobacco here in Iceland - Half and Half, Skandinavik, Sweet Dublin Irish Whiskey, Mac Baren Original Choice, Mac Baren Virginia No. 1, Mac Baren Mixture and Sunday's Fantasy. That's it!
I have only been smoking pipe for a few months and have so far smoked Sweet Dublin, Mac Baren Original Choice and Sunday's Fantasy from the tobacco we have here in Iceland and it was nice but I still wasn't really getting the oomph (if you know what I mean). Then I went to Denmark and ofcourse checked out The Danish Pipe Shop and Davidoff - My Own Blend at Pilestræde. There I bought 100 gram tins of My Own Blends Jutlandia and No. 40. Those blends were alot closer to what I had been looking for, really nice tobacco and I enjoy them alot.
But then I have been reading alot about alot of tobacco blends, types and mixtures as you're all familiar with. And I figured I had yet to try any English Blends. I was going to buy an English in Denmark but they guys showed me some really pungent blends so I wasn't really up for it haha! Still there was something great about the smells but offputting at the same time! But when I got back I decided that I only live once, decided to go "all in" and ordered a tin of Dunhill's Nightcap for my first English Blend. Oh boy!
I am in love with it! Creamy smoke, the smell out of the tin is addictive, and when you light it it is quite complicated, I tasted everything from chocolate and raisins to leather, smoke and incense. I guess all of you, or most of you know it. The only thing I didn't love is the price tag to get it in Iceland, all in all I paid 45$ for the tin. Haha!
But now I have given some info about me and my pipe smoking history, hope the post isn't amazingly boring. But I wanted to ask you guys - since I've fallen in love with Nightcap I am looking for something like it, but maybe a bit more of a everyday smoke. I've looked at dozens and dozens of reviews and stuff like that, all the Dunhill Mixtures and such - but I really want to hear from you guys (and girls!). Bring it! :)
Best regards from Iceland,
Stefan

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
I wish I could help you here, but I am still on a steep learning curve (smoking pipes for 3 months now) and still determining what I like. Also, I am all over the place with what I enjoy.
For what it is worth, if you want rich flavor, my two stand outs in that area are Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding and G L Pease's Gaslight.
I can't believe that you had to pay $45 for a tin of Nightcap. That is out of control. If you are comfortable with it, I would be happy to send you a sample of Penzance. You have earned it due to the cost of getting tobacco in your part of the world. My amazing wife procured an 8 ounce bag for me for Father's Day and it should be in later this week. Private message me if you are open to a small gift.
I would guess that you should see some responses here in the next several days. The guys on this forum have been great about giving suggestions. Great group of people and TONS of smoking history here.
Also, if you go to tobaccoreviews.com, you can research by tobacco blend type. It's a tremendous resource. Make sure to watch for the reviewer name JimInks on the reviews. His reviews are top notch and very unbiased. Also, you will see him on this forum. When Jim speaks, people listen, and rightfully so.

Jun 18, 2016
Hi, gsmunoz!
Thank you so much, I will gladly accept your kind offer!
It's true, the price for getting the tin to Iceland is sickening! I bought the Nightcap tin from 4noggins.com (one of few websites that ships tobacco to Iceland, that I've found at least), and their price is really fair - we pay around 20$ for a tin of Sunday's Fantasy or Original Choice in Iceland, so 9.29$ is nothing haha! But then I have to pay shipping + toll duty (?) + tobacco taxes to get the tin and that's quite a lot! Out of control indeed!
But I've been looking at alot of tobacco at tobaccoreviews.com and the website is really good for browsing tobacco. I will definetly be looking for JimInks' reviews! I've also been watching Bradley at Stuff&Things on YouTube and enjoyed his reviews alot, they were really helpful.
Thank you for your response!

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Alright, send me a private message with your shipping information and I will let you know when my shipment arrives. It may take me a day or two to get your package out since I am fairly busy during the week.
Also, let me know if there is anything I need to do regarding international shipments, etc. I just want to ensure I do this properly so as to prevent any issues for you.
Also, good call on Stuff and Things, I enjoy his reviews as well. I wish Pipes Magazine was able to do a weekly video podcast tobacco review and discussion with JimInks. I know it's probably not at all feasible, but I think that would be amazing!
I will get back to you later this week.

Jun 18, 2016
Hi hawky454!
Yes, I've been looking at the Dunhill blends! I would really like to try My Mixture 965, Early Morning Pipe or even Standard Mixture. I guess I'm most excited about trying the 965!
I think I like full bodied blends, with a lot of taste and some complexity. I guess that's typical of a cigar smoker?
But I'm so new to the pipe smoking hobby so I'm still finding out what I like. But I don't really like the blends we have available here in Iceland! Hah!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If you can get ahold of it, I would recommend Peter Stokkebye's Proper English (I believe the blend # is 52, but don't quote me on that). I like Nightcap myself, but PE is more of a toned-down, everyday type blend.

Jun 18, 2016
I'm also really excited about trying Ashtons Artisans Blend. Anyone tried that one and can tell me how it compares? Based on Bradley's review I should like it! Haha!

Jun 18, 2016
Hi aldecaker!
Peter Stokkebye's Proper English sounds really interesting! And yes, I believe the blend number is indeed #52! Is it hard to find, get a hold of? Is it that popular or just hard to get?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm also really excited about trying Ashtons Artisans Blend

I haven't smoked that in years but I remember loving it! If I'm not mistaken, I think it has Syrian Latakia and it's a very smooth, full bodied smoke. I think you'll like it. I have a tin of it I bought in 2012, I plan on smoking it this winter.

oldsalt

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Florida Keys
I second hawky454. Nightcap is wonderful but 965 is definitely more of an everyday smoke. It's one of my favorites. As aldecaker mentioned, Proper English is an excellent bulk blend, and I would suggest trying another PS blend with English Oriental Supreme. Similar to 965 but a bit lighter and not quite as complex.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@stefan-
Stokkebye blends are not hard to get here in the US. When I said if you can get ahold of it, I meant "if it is possible for you to get it in Iceland". It is popular, but not in short supply, thankfully.

Dec 28, 2015
+1 for MM 965. Personally I love early morning pipe too but most people on here seem to think it is too light weight so based on what you have said about your tastes you might want to pass on it. Bengal slices and Squadron Leader are another couple of blends that you would probably like.

Jun 18, 2016
@aldercake
Ahh! They have it at 4noggins, so that shouldn't be a problem! Might buy some next time I order. I'll also be getting some My Mixture 965, Ashton Artisans Blend and Peterson's Irish Flake.
Oh so much to try!

Status
Not open for further replies.