What should I expect to pay for an Ascorti-Radice-era Caminetto New Dear?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
As I've mentioned before, I had a beautiful Ascort-Radice stamped Caminetto in the "New Dear" carving, shape 115 (a slightly-bent chimney billiard). Bought it in Hawaii for $95. It fell out of my pocket somewhere and is gone. I'm missing it terribly; I've bought several other amazing pipes since and they won't fill the gap.
I rarely see New Dears on eBay, and when I do, they're usually of the later "Hand Made In Italy Cuggiago (Co)" variety, or even later with the large moustache. Does anybody know what I should expect to pay for a used estate Caminetto of that carving and era? I know I have little chance of locating a 115, but I'm hoping to find one that's bent at least slightly. I'd do almost anything to obtain one and call my pipe collection firmly closed for a year or two.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
The first of those two is absolutely awesome, samcoffeeman. Just my luck, someone will snap it up before I can. The Briar Blues guy says he'll be in Japan until the 21st, no phone, spotty email, and says he only sells via phone or email-- and it'd be just like my usual luck to wait until then, or send him a note and wait, only to find it gone.
4nogginsmike, been doing that for over a year. The one samcoffeeman posted is the first I've seen that is (a) New Dear, (b) Ascorti-Radice, (c) slightly bent, AND (d) not on eBay and getting a zillion bids.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Is that first one priced a bit low, the poker with the yellow stem?
Not sure where else to check for these. When I'm just browsing, I usually look at smokingpipes.com, Pipeworks & Wilke, Pulvers Briar, and now Briar Blues.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I think it is a fair price. Mike at briarblues is very fair in pricing usually. Shoot him an e-mail and hopefully it is available for you. You can always ask him to hold it for you as well.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Sent an email. I got an auto-reply saying that no orders will be taken until he returns, so I know my request for this pipe will likely be first in line.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I had the pipe at Briar Blues, got in contact and had it reserved... when I spotted this on eBay.

0l4cZte.jpg

Emailed and took the pipe on Briar Blues off hold, and snapped this up. It's more bent than BB's poker, and the stem is violet! I've loved the violet-stemmed Caminettos I've seen. Also a shape 143, a cool number for personal reasons. Nabbed this for $135.
If the one on BB sticks around a while, I may grab it later. It's still beautiful, though I may want to buy a Business next, especially if I can find a bent (maybe a shape 143 or shape 194, which are similar, or a 147, the deep-bent egg with a spur under the shank), even better with a violet stem. I'll be keeping a close eye on Briar Blues-- thanks for alerting me to the site, helpful people!

Status
Not open for further replies.