What Should I Expect from Russian eBay Purchases, Any Surprises?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I unwittingly purchased an inexpensive lot of pipe accessories from a Russian eBay seller - the low shipping charge and correct English led me to presume the items were offered by a US seller. To this point my only forays into international eBay transactions had been with UK sellers. So, should I expect any unpleasant surprises to arise from my transaction with a Russian seller? I am thinking mainly of customs snags and fees. I have less than $10 tied up in the purchase, the items are not the sort worth counterfeiting, and I paid via PayPal, so I have few concerns about the eBay component of the transaction.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I got a Comoy estate from Russia and there was no problem. Smooth transaction. My opinion, no worries.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Not sure about shipping to the UK, but in the US I had to wait a while in getting a package from Russia. No problems, though, otherwise.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Russia is a known ripoff nexus, along with South America and the Middle East. I wouldn't buy from there, but since the saps at eBay and Paypal claim to be insuring your transaction, I'd take them to the bank if it doesn't work out.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks, gents, for setting my mind more at ease. The risk of a scam would have kept me away had I realized the seller's location, even considering the sub-$10 costs. Fortunately, it sounds like $10 and a long wait is all I need worry about.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I predict 2 weeks delivery time from date of shipment. Please update when you get your purchase.

Thanks

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I would not spend a significant amount on anything, unless it was from a area that I trust. The east side of the town I live in does not fall in that category.
I have had fairly good luck buying direct from China through eBay. I figure that much of the stuff we buy is made overseas, so there is little risk buying directly from the manufacturer. Recently, I bought five knit ties directly from Hong Kong for less than $15 including shipping. It took about 2-3 weeks to arrive. The only issue was that I received two red ties instead of a red and a maroon. eBay refunded my $2 for the mistake.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The east side of the town I live in does not fall in that category.
We have a street here that is famous for selling knockoffs of famous brands. Often they fall apart but, as a friend of mine told his wife, "What are you going to do, complain that the forgery you deliberately bought wasn't as good as the real thing?" Same rule applies there: among ripoffs, expect ripoffs.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Same rule applies there: among ripoffs, expect ripoffs.
I doubt the seller would make ripoff pipe sleeves, especially considering the brands involved, but stranger things have happened. As the saying goes, you pays your money and you takes your chance.
jackswilling, I will give a final report when the items arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.