PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Going back up to NC for a visit in a few days. I will be in Clayton and RDU area. Its been many years since I have been there and not sure what is still around. I know Ansteads in Fayetteville as that is where I started back in 1998 and JR's up at the outlets, but could use some suggestions.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The TAPS pipe show will happen at the Raleigh N.C. State Fairgrounds on April 11, 9-4:30, and you can also visit Pipe by George on Hillsborough Street just east of the NCSU campus, great old time pipe shop with wide plank floors and a smoking table, wall of pipes, and selection of bulk and tinned tobaccos, and Tobacconists of Cary at 2434 SW Cary Parkway, Cary, NC 27513.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Just saw the TAPS pipe show. I will be there. Its the last day I will be in NC.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Nothing original to add here. Pipes by George on Hillsborough street in Raleigh is well worth a visit. Cool old school store with a super nice owner! They don't make 'em like this anymore. Cary tobacconist is cool as well but if you can only pick one go see George.
I'll also 2nd the TAPS pipe show. I've been a couple times and always enjoyed everything about it, expect the empty wallet I had when leaving.
Oh and if you haven't been to Ansteads since they've moved it's well worth the trip just to check out there smoking lounge. I think they even have beer sales after 4:00pm or something like that.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I want to take my wife and daughter down to the Spec ops museum in Fayetteville as they have never been so I will stop by Ansteads. I knew they moved as they were in the mall back when I started smoking. I would love to take a tour of C&D, but not sure if they do that and not sure I can convince the wife to let me go lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tracked things closely, so I'm not sure where Cornell & Diehl is currently located. For years they were in Morganton, N.C., and may still be there, but the business was purchased by the smokingpipe.com organization and, at one time, it was thought that they'd move down to S.C. near the SP location. So before you go looking for C&D in Morganton, or in S.C. for that matter, better confirm where they are. I'd be interested to know, too!
Just an aside, while down in Morganton visiting a free range pork farm for a story (I wasn't reporting, just doing the driving) I asked several of the locals about C&D and no one had ever heard of it, so they were somewhat low profile, I guess. I thought I might visit the state's mother church of pipe tobacco blending, but didn't.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And, no one mentioned the Tinder Box cigar and pipe shop in Crabtree Valley Mall on Glenwood Avenue/Route 70 on the west side of town. Also if you encounter them on your route, the J&R outlets have good cigar, pipe, and pipe tobacco shops within their outlet stores. They have good prices on tins of tobacco, tubs of tobacco, and cigars. They have some pipes, but mostly in a glass case, so you have to shop with a salesperson. Not ideal for us deep thinkers and ruminators, but necessary, I guess, with the high volume traffic. Nice prices on Dunhill tins when last I was there.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I know you won't be in the immediate area, but there's a great small little B&M store in Asheville. Best customer service I've ever seen. Called B&B tobacconists. I second the Tinder box at Crabtree Mall. Good prices, and a decent choice of tobaccos. I wish I was there for the Pipe Show, but I guess Uncle Sam thought it was a good Idea to send me to Yuma AZ... Not much out here for Pipes, and I do get looks, but at least they're inquisitve. Looking forward to heading back though:)

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Very cool Tarheel. Unfortunately, I'm not here for anything that cool. Just doing some aannual training for our helicopter combat pilots, they break 'em we fix 'em:)

Status
Not open for further replies.