What Shape Would You Say This Caminetto Pipe Is?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Here's a Caminetto Business 104, 7" overall length, straight shank and short stem. What shape is it? Canadian? Lumberman? I am thinking Lumberman, but I do not know if it would be called something different when it is as long as this one. I have seen some long Italian straight shank and stems pipes referred to as Churchwardens, but don't know where the cross over is.

Btw, what does 104 designate?

This is a nice pipe, but the draw on the stem is a little restrictive. I would like to someday have the stem opened a bit to let it draw more freely.

Thank you.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I agree that it is probably best described as a Lovat, but some makers have labeled similar pipes as Canadians. Given the length of your pipe's shank, I would say it resides in the thick of the Lovat-Canadian grey area.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
The shank looks oval to me???? I would call that a Canadian.

Not sure of that mouthpiece though. If it is a saddle, then all bets are off.
Rich

4noggins.com

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Could also be a Liverpool, which is similar to a Canadian, but with a round stem. Or similar to a Billiard, but with a longer stem.
Rich

4noggins.com

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Sam,
The bit looks to big to be a Lovat, if in fact it is a saddle stem.
Rich

4noggins.com

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Wow--thanks, guys!

What's a saddle stem? The stem does flare out a bit wider than where is meets the shank, if that's what that means.

The shank is round.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
A saddle stem has "shoulders" on the top and bottom of the stem.
A round shank of this length with a saddle stem should make your pipe a Lovat, but there is much disagreement over what distinguishes Lovat, Canadian, and Lumberman shapes. I think we can rule out the Liverpool shape without too much argument. My understanding of the Liverpool shape is that it is basically a Billiard with a somewhat elongated shank, and having a stem that is approximately equal in length to the shank.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The shape is BEAUTIFUL and certainly a Lovat, I'm sure it will give you many years of fine smokes.

banjo

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks, Gents. Good to know....I thought a Canadian or a Lumberman....a Canadian Lumberman? My father-n-law is an Italian-Canadian, so I know that these things exist. Btw, what does the "104" mean? In general, what are the numbers for that are stamped in shanks? I see them on many pipes....104, 51, etc. Are these for sizes or styles? Factories, cataloging, production runs?

Thanks....again!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
gigger48, I was saying that we could easily rule out Liverpool as the shape of kane's Caminetto. I should have noted, as you did, that Liverpool pipes have tapered stems.
kane, The numbers you see are shape numbers, and possibly numbers that also describe the finish or grade of the pipe. For example, a "5151" stamping on a Kaywoodie would designate that pipe as a Super Grain-graded Medium Billiard.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Btw, what does the "104" mean? In general, what are the numbers for that are stamped in shanks? I see them on many pipes....104, 51, etc. Are these for sizes or styles? Factories?
Typically shape code numbers, used widely by many pipemakers, old and new. Some numbers are just shape codes, some include a reference to size, and also type of finish, and even type of stem, depending on which maker/brand.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Oh yeah, meant to say.......Damn you guys sure know your pipes!

Thanks again for taking the time share your vast knowledge.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I'll go for LOVAT, although those are usually more compact numbers.
As for opening the draw, have it professionally done, or use a tapered bit on a lathe on fairly slow ( 100 rpm to start with ) speed until you get close to the slot, then have the slot opened. Acrylic is fairly unforgiving, and those old Caminettos have thin buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.