Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Shape is this? (Denmark)

(26 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by donjgiles
  • Latest reply from donjgiles
  1. donjgiles

donjgiles

Login to Send PM

I snagged what I think might be an old made in Denmark Pipe Dan off the bay last night, what shape is this? Egg, acorn?

Thank you,
    Don

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm. I'd call it more an acorn, but....

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. donjgiles

donjgiles

Login to Send PM

I think so as well, kinda..
    Thank you!

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ubet. I'm probably wrong, but I like being that way on occasion. Gives me humility, some say greatly needed!

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any markings?

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 3 months ago #
  6. donjgiles

donjgiles

Login to Send PM

On the top of the shank
    Iwan Ries
    Danish

On the bottom of the shank
    Made in Denmark

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a Danish shape. I can't keep track of all of the shape names and variants. I call shapes like this "Danish" and move on. But that's me and I'm an idiot most days.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. donjgiles

donjgiles

Login to Send PM

Ash, you are being a little too hard on yourself. I agree with you.
    I have an issue of getting wrapped up in minutia.

Don

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don, if it's an Iwan Ries pipe, I'd say it was not made by PipeDan.

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm probably wrong, but I like being that way on occasion. Gives me humility, some say greatly needed!

Humility is over rated....

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 3 months ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I first thought Dublin, because of the conical bowl, but on consideration, I think acorn is probably nearer the mark. Shapes are so tricky. When in doubt, I give the pipe maker the say. My wife gave me a Johs with an extra large bowl which I saw as a brandy, but I eventually found the enclosure that came with the pipe, and Johs said it was an apple, so an apple it is. My wife spent a lot of her working career in NYC, so I call it my Big Apple. Iwan Ries sources excellent house pipes, currently by Genod I believe. I'm enjoying some earlier IR house pipes made by Benton from Algerian briar. I used to jokingly call them Chicago Dunhills, but they are superb smokers, perhaps better than some much more expensive pipes. They may be the best U.S. factory pipes I own.

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don, I have some down time and wanted to noodle around on this post a bit. It's a good excuse to procrastinate!

I love Ashdigger's comment above^^^. Most "Danish" shapes are just "Danish", hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

Your pipe is a classic Danish shape, NOS (Not Otherwise Specified). There are many variations based on the general "classic" Sixten Ivarsson Pewit shape. Over time the Pewit led to the acorn, egg, pear, potato sack, etc. Some of it is based on what the carver calls it, others on an interpretation. Personally, I see a lot of estate Danish pipes like the one you posted called a "slightly bent Dublin", NOS. I would favor the later in your case. Great pipe! It's a classic estate Danish specimen to enjoy.

The Classic Ivarsson Pewit shaping [named from the marketing, "as big as a pewit egg"]

Variations and modern siblings:

Mortensen, bent Dublin (DPS)

Stokkebye Pear (SPC)

Stanwell Featherweight (SPC)

Stanwell bent egg (DPS)

Lasse Skovgaard Sandblasted Acorn (SPC)

Stanwell pear (SPC)

Tom Eltang Acorn (SPC)

Neal
    Posted 3 months ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would personally lean toward acorn on this, or egg corn as some like to say.

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have seen that shape listed as a bent Dublin. But I think npod nailed it with his NOS post.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fine illustrations, Neal. The last one seems to be indisputable as to shape: It looks like an acorn, and Mr. Eltang called it so. Some of the others, not so much. But the "featherweight" is also pretty solid, unless it weighs over 50 grams.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First off, I see Dublin as a Family category, and acorns, zulus, skates, and such as being subcategories of the Dublin. Just as a Rhodesian is a subcategory of the bulldog genre. It can be both a bulldog and rhodesian. I see this example as being both an acorn and Dublin in the same way.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  17. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I was going to say pear (the bowl is a little tall to classify as an acorn to me), but like most things we discuss here, it's purely for the fun of discussion and doesn't have a lot of bearing on anything real. So I guess I'd really be in npod's camp-- it's Danish, no additional classification necessary.

If you really wanted to know, you might call the folks at Iwan Ries. I understand they have some folks who have been working there a long time, and might be able to direct your inquiry as to what the maker called it.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 3 months ago #
  18. donjgiles

donjgiles

Login to Send PM

Wow Neal,

I am blown away at your response, thank you!
    I saw a real beautiful pipe under that dirt and grime last night, so I will show you what I end up with once she is cleaned.
    I am on a quest to find the absolute best smoking pipes I can afford... which is not very much. I have found some ignored house pipes to be very high level pipes from very famous makers at crazy affordable prices. FUN!!!

I also want a collection that shows respect to the innovators, or at least the trends they started.

That little, dirty, slightly bent Dublin, NOS has some killer, tight (old) grain on it. This is the same type of grain I find on Jarl pipes, another of my passions. I can't wait until it arrives. I do so love pipe smoking and all it encompasses!

Don

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In case anyone noticed, my autocorrect spelled Peewit as Pewit.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Not all Danish shapes are Danish. Barling was producing this shape since the 1940's. This particular one is from the early 1950's:

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 months ago #
  21. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This variant is one of my favorite pipes. It's a Lasse Skovgaard Danish freehand.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sable, I'd still refer to that as a Danish....because I'm lazy and a professional miscreant.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a follow up, here is a great example on this topic. https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=290030

Notice the wording that SP.com (Rachel DuBose) uses to describe the pipe as an "Acorn-esque shape". So true. I love the -esque suffix. BTW, this is a great pipe for someone looking to jump in to Danish estates.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. donjgiles

donjgiles

Login to Send PM

After a quick clean.

Don

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bravo!

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. donjgiles

donjgiles

Login to Send PM

Thank you... unfortunately after it was clean, I found a crack. Booo. That is 2 in 2 weeks. The other was on a super rare Savinelli. In both cases I am pretty sure both the sellers (ebay) were not aware of the cracks as they were hidden by grime.

The rare pipe is a Savinelli Punto Oro Corallo di Mare in a shape 130 KS and even with the crack I am super glad to have it and add it to my Corallo collection.

Don

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   methomp, pitchfork