PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Here's the link to the pipe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIPA-pipe-SER-JACOPO-DALLA-GEMMA-FATTA-A-MANO-PER-ASPERA-ad-ASTRA-/171512416205?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=NA9tgP5%252BiAzcYnrMBbAZfRh2oks%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
So I just made my first eBay purchase. I found a Ser Jacopo that wasn't getting any bids really. I wanted a bulldog style pipe and this fit the bill. The seller was Italian and didn't have an English description so I just used google translate. It went for a bit under my maximum bid which I was pretty surprised. I have been searching for any more info on this pipe. The medallion(?) on the shank doesn't show up anywhere in my searches.
You guys have ideas? Did I get screwed over or what?

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Yeah those are the rarest but from all I've seen they don't make those in a rusticated or sandblasted finish. How do you know it's a diamond gem series? Thanks for the replies by the way!

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
If you are referring to the Dalla Gemma part. I believe that is Ser Jacopo's full brand name. This is from pipedia: "Ser Jacopo, better to say Ser Jacopo dalla Gemma, was started by Giancarlo Guidi in 1982 upon leaving Mastro de Paja." I thought the same thing when I first saw Gemma which is indeed Italian for gem.
Or am I completely mistaken? I'm just having a hard time believing I got the top of their line for 100 bucks. Once again thank you for the reply.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
serj-600x356.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's advertised as a gem. It has a date stamp. Now mind you, Marble Arch, whose information is used by Pipedia, was only the US Importer and to a lesser degree developer of the Ser Jacopo line, so, what would they know about it.
Maybe the seller is lying. Maybe he engraved a date onto the pipe. Maybe I'm full of shit. Maybe it's a Grabow with an Italian accent.
In any event, for about $100 you did fine, whether it's a gem or a lump of coal.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I agree with gigger48, It's a S1 grade sandblast. The dated band and the rondell makes me think it's perhaps a club POY or a competition pipe. Ser Jac's own year pipes are called "Domina" and the year and the word domina is stamped on the shank.
The Ser Jacopo dalla Gemma is indeed the long name of the brand and is typically printed on their pipe boxes and socks. Many Italian sellers use the whole name.
Ser Jacopo has a Gem series of smooth pipes, all with "Exeptionally good straight grain or birdseye." They have a gemstone embedded in the stem often in a silver band.
Gem series:
  • Smeraldo / Emerald[/*]
  • Granato / Garnet[/*]
  • Zaffiro / Sapphire[/*]
  • Rubino / Ruby[/*]
  • Brillante / Diamond[/*]
While not a Gem series pipe I think that's a great looking pipe for a very reasonable price.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Sablebrush you are not full of shit! You only tried to help and I thank you for that. Thank you all in fact! I think I will contact Marble Arch and see if they can tell me anything else. And Peck, you are a show off! :nana:

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I hope so, just hope the medallion wasn't a custom thing by the previous owner. If it is I hope it was installed right. Here is the repy from Marble Arch as well:
Thanks for your email and interest in Ser Jacopo pipes.
The pipe pictured, a straight Bulldog is a sandblasted Ser Jacopo but it's not an S1. The solid black sandblasts do not have an "S" mark in their shank. Internally they are referred to as "SN" for "sabbiata nera" or, need I say it…black sandblast.
I've never seen a Ser Jacopo with a coin or medallion placed like the one pictured. I did note the silver band is engraved "BOLZANO" which is a German speaking city in the north of Italy and 2002. I'm afraid I can't give you any more information than that. The stamping - Ser Jacopo, fatta a mano, per aspera ad astra - are all correct for a pipe of this finish. Perhaps the coin/medallion were added by an individual to commemorate the year Bolzano won the World Cup or Super Bowl. :--)
I'll see if I can get any information from the workshop, but those requests usually take a long while to be answered.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
The pipe pictured, a straight Bulldog is a sandblasted Ser Jacopo but it's not an S1. The solid black sandblasts do not have an "S" mark in their shank. Internally they are referred to as "SN" for "sabbiata nera" or, need I say it…black sandblast.
I'll have to disagree with this. I've owned a black blasted Ser Jacopo that had a S1 stamped (inside a circle). Also, when I google "Ser Jacopo S1" I find many many black blasts that have S1 stamped on them. Both from US and Italian merchants.
Perhaps their grading practices have changed along the years. Their system of naming their different types of mounts; Delecta, Pulchra, Imago, Cymatium etc. is certainly very fluid.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
It seems I am even more confused that before I started this thread haha! Well the pipe doesn't come until another week and a half so we'll see how she smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.