PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
This goes for pipes you have actually smoked and or owned, currently or in the past. Which ones would you buy again? If you can be descriptive of brand, style, make or other characteristics that you liked, don't hold back.
I would buy my custom bilt bulldog, heavily rusticated of course, and briar older than me, Same goes for a Custom bilt billiard I have.
Wally Frank White Bar, sandblasted, black- in the adds in the old wally frank mags, it states that the briar is at least 50 years old, and that was 50 years ago so no wonder the smoke great.
Comoy london pride, it is banded, has some seperating of the briar and a replacement stem and a touch of burnout around the draft hole, the grain is so pronounced that it feels like ribbing when I run my finger around the bowl. I read somewhere that this was the american answer to the blue ribands, it has a lighter stain, smokes like a dream 20 bucks shipped, I would buy that one again and again.
Anyone else?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
A Peterson, any Peterson, Billiard or Zulu, Bent or Straight, Fishtail or P-Lip, don't matter, gotta get another Peterson!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my pipes from Rad Davis, Brian Ruthenberg, Scott Thile, Bruce Weaver, Jody Davis, Mike Butera, Steve Morrissete and Tonni Nielsen are artisans I would buy from again. I have not been disappointed with any pipe from any of these people and would not hesitate to buy more.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
My Jost's Canadian. Bought it 30 years ago and it continues to be a great smoker.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My Peterson Kildare 999 with the P-lip. Also, surprisingly my MM Diplomat now that I have a Forever stem on it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'll stick to factory pipes, but I'd buy another Peterson Lovat (53) -- it's fat, compact and old-fashioned looking. Love it!
I'd also buy another Stanwell 70 or 37, the Ivarsson-designed volcano sitters (although I think they're no longer being made).

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I'd buy any of my billiards/Canadians again (Stanwell Sixtus, Dr. Grabow Starfire, Kaywoodie Supergrain, Vauen Dr. Perl, Itallian second). I just love the shape and all of mine smoke well for the price, whatever it was. Then there's the Wellington copy of a System 317, which I'd buy again in a heartbeat. If I were to do it again, my Peterson 312 would be a 314, but it doesn't bother me much.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
All of my current rotation smoke well enough to buy duplicates but a Dunhill 4135 is at the top of my list, followed by an Aston horn and Blakemar zulu.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
The list if what I wouldn't buy would be a lot shorter. After all, if I bought one Brand/shape X to begin with, I liked it at that time. My tastes have changed over the years, but I've added favorites like bulldogs without deleting anything. For instance, for puffing purposes I've never tapped into
That said, there are brands and shapes I chase more than others: Rads, Dunhills, Lucianos, Quagliatas, Kaywoodies, Purdys, Tinskys. Bulldogs, Rhodesians, Princes, brandies. And my taste has gravitated to smaller pipes.
hp

les

Jul 12, 2011
ok my list; All have outstanding engineering and are great smokers for me :puffy:
Shapes/Styles; Billiards, Dublins, Bulldogs and Rhodes, Pokers, Cherrywood & Cutty /Bent and Straight on those models
1. Blakovec

2. Hackert

3. Tinsky

4. Ser Jac

5. Ardor

6. Cavicchi

7. Boswell

8. Rad Davis

9. Radice

10. Stanwell

11. Sav

12. Mastro de Paja

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Mine would be:
Dunhill
Stanwell
Peterson
Savinelli
L'Anatra
All solid brands (and as others have reported, Peterson's sometimes have their issues, but all in all, I like them a lot).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd buy most of my pipes, about forty of them, again. I say this because, when I try to make up a list

of pipes to trade in as estate pipes, for credit toward another pipe, I can't come up with many/any

candidates. Once or twice, this was easy, and I traded up. Special ones that I would buy again include

some recent purchases: a BC Caprice 1304 with raspberry stem, a Chapuis-Comoy zulu, a Ser Jacopo

curvacious bent Danish blast, and a Luciano straight billiard blast (almost a pot, thick walled bowl).

Pipes from recent years include a Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog, a Luciano bent author, and a Jerry

Perry bent billiard compact pipe with a light brown bowl and orange marbled stem. Any of those,

and most of the others (apparently ALL of the others) I'd buy again. I sweat and brood about every

purchase, sometimes pondering until the pipe has gone to someone else, so I ought to turn up some

winners in the process, I would hope. Also, after they are thoroughly broken in and show a little wear,

they are like old friends, with a history. Hard to give them up.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
My Aldo Velani 21st Century. I would buy a slew of these if I came across them. The Nording Bear was a gift, but I'de buy another one in a second. And my old WW2 era Pete. I have some other Petes but each smokes a little different.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I'm always keeping my eyes open for another Stanwell Naval Series Admiral Grade, either shape #30 or #62.
I own one that I bought way back and it's my favourite, favourite, favourite pipe. The stain has a nice warm color that plays in perfect harmony with the banding. The stunning angel hair grain is mind blowing. The briar is among the best quality I've ever seen in pipes.
Sadly, the Naval series is extremely difficult to find, and when one pops up on eBay it always sells quickly and for outrageous prices :-(
qghy.jpg

P.S.: Come on! Why am I the only one to post a picture of the pipe I'd buy again! Show us!

Status
Not open for further replies.