What Pipe tops Your PAD List Right Now?

(73 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by mikethompson
  • Latest reply from daniel7
  1. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For those of us still working our way through PAD, what is tops on that list right now? Some exquisite carved Meer? Vintage British briar?

For me it is one of these, a Peterson from the Tara line.

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

A brand new Von Erck pipe.
    Just have to save up for it though.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. bazungu

bazungu

Login to Send PM

A family era unsmoked Sasieni but I am afraid that will stay a dream. I do not have a birth year pipe yet, so that one would be second perhaps.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What doesn't?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An Altinok Lee Van Cleef pipe.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. xingpao

xingpao

Login to Send PM

I would like a DHS pipe next I think. If only TAD would leave me alone.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are quite nice, Mike. I've liked the way those look since they released. I really like the XL02. I've been really wanting to get a Barling to add to my collection. There's just something to me about those pipes from that early era that make me want to own one, so right now, I'm busily trying to find me a very nice Barling to smoke. Currently seeking something like this:

Other than that, I still have a simple billiard style meerschaum with a silver spigot at the top of my list to either find or have made, either/or, but I'm putting it off until I hopefully find what I want already made. I looked at this one, but I wanted something new to color myself:

I also happen to want a GBD Prehistoric bent rhodesian. I saw one last year that wasn't for sale, but had sold that made my mouth water. Something like this:

To round out my top spots of PAD searching, I'm also trying to find me a Peterson with a windcap. Have been wanting one for a while.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My PAD is mostly on haitus lately, but funny you mention Altinok.

In the 30-plus years I've been smoking one pipe or another, I've yet to pick up a meerschaum. I always thought I'd break it or something. I haven't dropped a pipe in a long time, and I haven't had to buy a new pair of sunglasses for years (believe me, there's a correlation), so when the right meer for sale catches my eye, I'm fer-cryin'out-loud going for it.

Which brings me to Altinok. For years, they had a dual-stem claw/egg that I would have snapped up in a second. As fortune would have it, someone finally bought it.

*Sigh!* Sometimes you just can't win.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Peterson Celtic Natural 106. But I'm just about ready to give up my search for that one. I can't even find a photo online of that one anymore, although I know they exist or existed, because I've seen one before. I've been looking for too long and I know I've missed out on some good pipes while obsessing over that one. So right now, I'm going to focus on something else. There's actually a few on my list, but I really don't know for certain which of those is on top of the list. So, just whichever comes first.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the Tara series, but have quite a few Petes. However, the OP makes me want to smoke my own B10 Calabash.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found out what works best for me. It's bent billiards, not too heavy with acrylic stems. Preferably sandblast, but not necessarily. And not too expensive. I'm looking at this one:

Peterson Arklow 221

Link no work. Me simpleton.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

This Castello has been haunting me for quite some time now

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Still at the end stages of Pipe Disposal Disorder here.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  14. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

It's not in my price range but...

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I've been wanting to get an eldritch pipe comission for quite some time now.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been eyeballing this Larry Roush pipe since it was listed on SP. I have always wanted to add one of Larry's pipes to my collection, but things just haven't worked out for what ever reason. My issue isn't that I cannot afford, it is do I want to. I have never paid 700.00 for just one pipe. My last 2 purchases were a Weaver and a Ruthenberg which were brand new and basically half the retail price. It is hard for me to justify one pipe for 700.00 when I bought 2 for 600.00

Another thing stopping me is the shaping on the pipe. I don't think it is that great and for 700.00 I need to love it. The blast is gorgeous but the bowl itself looks off to my eye.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Ryan Alden commission would be nice.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 1 month ago #
  18. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would love a Peterson Spigot 999 Dracula or a Peterson Great Explorers Tom Crean.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

k9shag

Login to Send PM

@aro222

What size is that one it is a beauty. Castello's are my weakness, If I ever learn to post a picture on this site I will post my collection. I have a shape 55 I ordered from Castello that took a year to get here. They only cut the shape 55 once a year. I say buy it and smoke the crap out of it

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

tkcolo

Login to Send PM

This pipe rings all of my bells.

[/url]Micah Redmond: Smooth Acorn with Bakelite

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

A Davorin Morta and/or a Castello Sea Rock. For now I'll just keep dreamin.

Non Serviam
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

However, the OP makes me want to smoke my own B10 Calabash

Whatever I can do to help!

Some very nice looking pipes in this thread. Clearly we all have great taste.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a beautiful Roush, Harris. I'm kind of wanting a Former as of late. Although, a Roush would be nice too. I just don't want a saddle stem and/or anything over 1.5 ounces. Really, an ounce, but I don't think I've seen many Roushs' even under 2.0 ounces? I'd settle for 1.9 if I ever find one. Former, on the other hand, can come in right around an ounce more often. I like jawing a pipe and it's a sissy.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My white whale pipe is a suede blasted Lovat from Walt Cannoy.

Other than that I'm really into Sam Adebayo's work. Looking to grab one of Nate King, Micah Redmond and Bill Shalosky's too. I'd like a Yeti Pipes, a Jared Coles, Scott Klein, J.Alan, Brad Pohlman. So many really good American carvers out there.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 month ago #
  25. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty well set. About the only couple of items I'd like to get is a cased Barling companion set in clean condition and a billiard from Ken Barnes to replace the one that I very reluctantly sold at the WCPS last November. But for now, this will have to wait.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 month ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

@CCW Bishop's Pipes at Facebook has a Barling quite similar to that for sale right now. Maybe you should check it out.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

You piqued my interest, so I took a look. He has some pretty nice deals, The only Barling I saw was a model 5109, which is a nice shape, It's not the same thing as the 249. It was made after the company was taken over by Imperial tobacco, so not the same quality of wood or carvers. It also appears to have been topped, judging by the coloration of the rim.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

For me it is one of these, a Peterson from the Tara line.

They're on sale at P&C.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/peterson-tara-pipes/2003195/

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. danish

danish

Login to Send PM

Although I do have sufficient self discipline at the moment, I could easily share the PAD of @Carolinachurchwarden's two straight pipes mentioned above. Since these small Barlings are too rare to be found unsmoked, I would probably just buy a similar brand new Dunhill and start looking around for an unsmoked Andreas Bauer with army mount. I presume with a simple army mount, it would be easier to find or have made a good ebonite stem, also for the meerschaum. I actually already have a good spare stem for it, hmmm

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're on sale at P&C.

Yes, but not the shape I would prefer, or at a price I can swallow right now. Also they don't ship to Canada.

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Peterson Killarney w red cumberland stem

Pierre
    Posted 1 month ago #
  32. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are too many to famous brands out there to choose from.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  33. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mothernature,

That's a beautiful Roush, Harris. I'm kind of wanting a Former as of late. Although, a Roush would be nice too. I just don't want a saddle stem and/or anything over 1.5 ounces. Really, an ounce, but I don't think I've seen many Roushs' even under 2.0 ounces? I'd settle for 1.9 if I ever find one. Former, on the other hand, can come in right around an ounce more often. I like jawing a pipe and it's a sissy.

That Roush in the pic is 51 grams or 1,82 oz which I have no problem with that weight. You are correct as many of his pipes are over 2 oz's. I would never pay the freight for a new Former. His prices are insane now. I once owned 6 of his pipes and ended up selling them all.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@CCW Bishop's Pipes at Facebook has a Barling quite similar to that for sale right now. Maybe you should check it out.

Yup, sure looked like it, but down below it said it (#5 below) was sold an hour after posting...These damn Barling's man...

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I REALLY want a Nording Valhalla Spigot, straight billiard, smooth or otherwise. They’re just clean and mean. I know it’s not a fancy pipe, but I’ve been obsessed with them for a while.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

Thanks Sable! I'm in the hunt for old and respected English marques these days, but just can't find a nice Barling. May I ask where you look for Barlings?

@CCW That's too bad... I hope you will find one soon. Good luck!

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Thanks Sable! I'm in the hunt for old and respected English marques these days, but just can't find a nice Barling. May I ask where you look for Barlings?

Primarily eBay and pipe shows, the occasional online dealer, or through contacts in the greater pipe collecting community. There have been a few people who have contacted me privately about selling a Barling to me that I might like, and that has worked out well on both sides of the deal. I suspect you can find more at auctions or garage sales in the eastern states. Used to be tobacconists, but pipes and pipe tobaccos for sale are pretty close to extinct in Los Angeles, though the cigar scene is alive and well.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am aware a few few well-known collectors who, like Jessie, get first pick of some of the finest pipes because of they focus on a particular brand or style of pipe. Rick Newcombe (magnums) and Fred Hanna (straight grains) come to mind, but there are a number of others. I haven’t identified an area of focus yet that quali.

My PAD, which I hope to satisfy at the Chicagoland show is a J. Alan, a JT Cooke blast, or another Brad Pohlmann.

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot! Since I live far away from the States, it seems that eBay would be my sole option...

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I wasn't swimming in pipes, and had a windfall in hand, I'd shop for one of the smaller (medium sized Group 4) Castellos. I think their quality is at or above White Spot with steep prices, but not over the moon. I like my various brands of Italian pipes -- Savinelli, Ser Jacopo, and the late lamented Luciano, among others. If you come across estate Luciano's, they're worth looking at. A great Danish discontinued pipe is Bari.

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Speaking of Barling, this is pretty darn sweet...
    Cased Barling Beauty

Don

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex

Login to Send PM

Haha. If I owned a college instead of attending it, I would've bought it. Truly, a beauty though.

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only cure for PAD is not to look. If you see a pipe that looks really delicious, click on something else as fast as you can. My independent pipe shop owner once found me gazing at the pipe wall and asked me if I saw anything I liked, and I said I was looking for something I didn't like.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's gone, so I'm never looking again ...

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like Jesse, I'm pretty well set. But that doesn't mean I'm not open to whatever hyper-attractive comes down the pike. A nice Karl Erik, for example, or a rusticated Sav 614 in whatever line.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  46. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

I hold our good fellow-member Acidpox 100% responsible for causing me to want this pipe. Anyone have one they would be willing part with? If so, PM me - Sherm Natman

NORDING VIKING Semi-Churchwarden Rusticated Volcano

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sherm', you're right, Nording makes great up-market pipes. My wife gave me a zebra hunter Nording for Christmas 2017, similarly long stemmed but not what I'd call a 'warden, with carved stripes on the briar, but similar in scale and weight to this, a great smoking pipe, I'll say.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ryan Alden.

Posted 1 month ago #
  49. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

" My independent pipe shop owner once found me gazing at the pipe wall and asked me if I saw anything I liked, and I said I was looking for something I didn't like"

So true Tom. Its like that sometimes!

Posted 1 month ago #
  50. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no real needs, if the right white stem Castello crosses my radar I’d grab it other than that I’m good.
    banjo

Posted 1 month ago #
  51. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Speaking of Barling, this is pretty darn sweet...
    Cased Barling Beauty

It is a pretty spectacular pipe. And if it's ever dropped down to something representing a fair market price, like slightly less than half, it would sell.

Posted 1 month ago #
  52. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

This is an amazing pipe. It is way out of my price range but still...

Victor Yashtylov smooth bent egg.

Posted 1 month ago #
  53. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Victor Yashtylov smooth bent egg.

That magnetic stem system is interesting.

https://youtu.be/g3HUMw-T8_Y

Posted 1 month ago #
  54. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

PAD has been mostly held at bay lately, although I did just put a bid in on a cheap beater Savinelli in one of my favorite shapes. But I have been on the lookout for a decently priced Dunhill Panel Shell Briar for a while now. Hard to find one without spending an arm and a leg but I'm optimistic I can find one within my budget with a little more patience.

Posted 1 month ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

robcapp

Login to Send PM

I'd love another couple of Roamn Kovalev's pipes in my collection, for sure.

Posted 1 month ago #
  56. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I seen that Victor the other day on SP, isn't it gorgeous ? Anyone own any of these magnetic stems? What are they like? Seems very interesting but will it hold up long term ?

Posted 1 month ago #
  57. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Asking fishnbanjo about PAD is like asking Bill Gates if he'd like an investment tip. (!)

Posted 1 month ago #
  58. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

I just recently scratched that itch...for now anyway. I always wanted an antler pipe from the late Sam Learned. Got this a couple of weeks ago, so I'm good for now.

As far as current PAD an Ardor is out there with my name on it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  59. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's gone, so I'm never looking again ...

That's definitely one of the nicest claw meers I've ever seen a pic of.

Holy cow...that grain is amazing for sure...and the entire shaping is really impressive.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 month ago #
  60. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

embers, I was eyeballing that pipe when I saw it listed,freaking gorgeous. Totally out of my pain threshold as well. The magnetic stem thing sounds very cool. He is the first I have ever seen to use it.

He also has a few pipes listed over at Al Pascia you should check out.

Posted 1 month ago #
  61. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering just how well that magnetic seal is. That's a lot of cash to drop on a pipe that may leak.

Posted 1 month ago #
  62. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wonder if he gives some kind of guarantee that if it loosens, he fixes it for free and pays for shipping. For the kind of money he is charging, he really should.

Posted 1 month ago #
  63. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With my recent addition of a 2015 Peterson Founder's Edition pipe, I can say I've drained the PAD out of me. There simply is no desire on my part to buy another pipe. Of course, who knows if the flame of desire will re-emerge in the future.

Posted 1 month ago #
  64. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

Rattray's 'The Devil's Cut' whiskey barrel pipe keeps calling my name...even though my recently purchased Savinelli Caramella and Chacom Noel 2018 billiard should have stopped all PAD ambition.

Posted 1 month ago #
  65. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

I would like to add a few Castello’s to the stable but after that it’s time to start looking at artisan/commissions.

Sasquatch... promise I’m going to email you back soon!

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 1 month ago #
  66. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

This Castello has been haunting me for quite some time now.

As 'Popeye' it's easy to see why you are drawn to that aggressive looking "jutting chin" shape.

Posted 1 month ago #
  67. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

This Castello has been haunting me for quite some time now.

As 'Popeye' it's easy to see why you are drawn to that aggressive looking "jutting chin" shape.

Leno fans?

Posted 1 month ago #
  68. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I have a Dave Neeb long shanked Dublin being commissioned, super excited!

Posted 1 month ago #
  69. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really like some of the craftsmanship and beauty the pipe maker known as Silver Gray puts into her pipes and it had to be faith that a pipe she calls the Smooth Canoe would be the one to float my boat, so to speak, should have it in around 10 days or so, regards.
    banjo

Posted 1 month ago #
  70. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A panel billiard OD

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 1 month ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page