What pipe style did you used to hate and now like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Funny thing, but I am noticing how quickly my tastes change when it comes to pipe styles. Styles that I didn't care for now suddenly I am liking. Very strange! This may explain why some people own hundreds of pipes.
For ex., at first I didn't like rusticated pipes - and now I find they're growing on me.
So I am curious, is there a style of pipe that you used to hate and now prefer? :puffpipe:

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
I used to hate pokers and cherrywoods. Now, I really like them a lot, especially if they are sandblasted.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Some figural meerschaums, until I picked up a nice Sultan on Ebay for $17, and am now enjoying a fantastic smoke and also watching the sultan's eyebrows and beard turn red. I still don't like most figurals though. What a different smoke quality with the white clay it is. Definitely worth a try in case one has never thought of enjoying this type of pipe. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first started collecting I was into straight grains, now I am into really well done sandblasted pipes. I also didn't like the Dublin shape but now it is one of my favorites. After I got one Dublin and realized how well it smokes my flakes, I was hooked. I grew to like the classic styling of the Dublin as well.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Definitely straight pipes. I used to hate them and now I find that my collection is leaning towards a higher number straight pipes.

bigbehr

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Pokers and Small pipes in general. Now I own quite a few. I must have gotten over my Complex!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I used to didn't care for large pipes, like a Calabash or my Cinnamon Girl. But now that I'm retired

and have time for relaxing in an arm chair more... well

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
My first pipe was bent, I wanted a bent pipe, and from there I only wanted bent pipes. I thought straight pipes looked weird. Then after my first competition, I had smoked a straight pipe and come home with it thinking " what the hell was wrong with you?" I now have plenty of straight pipes and am happier for it!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Bulldogs and Freehands were the ones that didn't do anything for me. Now I have both and love them.
-Jason

Aug 1, 2012
Freehands, especially the more radical examples. Hated them for a couple years and now I'm looking for one I can afford.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Definitely has to be straights. Originally I was only into bents and wouldn't even look at straight pipes. Now I'm huge into Peterson's 106 straight billiard. Bought a Killarney in that shape a few weeks ago and just ordered a Dalkey in that shape this evening. PAD is a dangerous animal.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
One word, FALCON.
Interesting. Just got my first Falcon today as part of an estate lot I won on eBay. I didn't want the Falcon at all (never smoked one, just think they're fugly), but I spent more time checking it out tonight than the other briars that I actually wanted. Not saying I like it, yet, but I don't hate them as much as I did this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.