PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I received one of those carve-it-yourself pipes from a good friend. Now, as it happens, I like to whittle and have a decent collection of carving knives. But the reality is I stink. I'm not all that artistic. I've carved a bit but I won't be winning any awards.
So what shape should I carve? Would have to be so simple a caveman could do it.
Would a panel billiard be easiest since I won't have to carve a round pipe?
Need your insight as I don't want to screw it up.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I would go with a panel billiard like you said because a) panels are probably easier to carve and b) billiards are just all around awesome.

~Ron

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I would agree on the panel billiard. Be sure to post pics of the finished pipe.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
St Peter: I don't know. Was just given to me as is. I can't, and don't know how, to tell the difference. Please school me. Honestly, to me it doesn't look much different than the bass wood I'm used to carving. But then I've never handled unfinished briar do wouldn't know the difference until I put a blade to it.
The stem is about 10 degree slight bent. Saddle bit, my favorite.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
What shapes do you like? I think a panel would be tough to do, myself, since the sides need to be at right angles. Me, I might try a billiard first.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Take it from an old wood carver...Carving briar is not like working with any wood you have ever carved. You can sand it, you can grind it, you can use rotary carbide tools, but you can't carve it with hand tools- it will not take a smooth finish from the knife or the gouge. Buy a 5" sanding disk on an arbor that will fit in an electric drill. Use 40 grit to shape the pipe, move to 120 then 240...then start hand sanding...and buy a buffing wheel, compound and carnauba wax from PIMO...and you're on your way...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What shapes do you like? I think a panel would be tough to do, myself, since the sides need to be at right angles. Me, I might try a billiard first.
Take it from an old wood carver...Carving briar is not like working with any wood you have ever carved. You can sand it, you can grind it, you can use rotary carbide tools, but you can't carve it with hand tools- it will not take a smooth finish from the knife or the gouge. Buy a 5" sanding disk on an arbor that will fit in an electric drill. Use 40 grit to shape the pipe, move to 120 then 240...then start hand sanding...and buy a buffing wheel, compound and carnauba wax from PIMO...and you're on your way...

Yep.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
This looks easy enough...

churchward_roots_3-600x449.jpg

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
All jokes aside. I think the panel billiard would be a great pipe to start. Looks like a great foundation for future pipes. Good luck and make sure you post "in progress" pictures. I have been considering carving my own pipe but I'm sure I don't have the skills.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It depends if you are edging toward doing this more than once, or if you think once will be enough. Just because

the block is squared off doesn't necessarily suggest to me that a panel pipe would be easier. You're going to have

to reshape it, and once you are doing that, you can get away from a block configuration ... you will almost have to.

At least you have other options. A billiard, pot, or chimney might be relatively simple. If you have carved small

figures like faces or animals, that might be the way to go, though it would result in a rougher piece and require

a year of sanding. Shaping a block with a sander sounds like an interesting process. See how it goes, and if it

doesn't work out, no harm done. It will make you feel better about laying out some money on a pipe.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I think a billiard is a pretty tough shape to pull off correctly. I'd suggest since its your first one maybe just freehand shaping in a sort of Dublin profile would be easiest. If you're up for Challenge a billiard will hone your skills quicker than any other shape.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
You got this! You shouldn't be so quick to underestimate yourself. You have the desire. Attack that sucker. Just be patient. Go slowly and you will undoubtedly yield a fine pipe. Don't expect to finish in one go at it. Sketch it out and work one face at a time. Follow your sketchings and let it come to life. And we love pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.