Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Pipe Have You Discovered This Year?

(81 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by anthonyrosenthal74
  • Latest reply from amisk
  1. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought this could be a nice follow up to Prairiedruid's thread, "What Blend Have You Discovered This Year?"

Along with trying new blends and finding new favorites throughout the year, many of us I'm sure have also discovered new pipes. Maybe just a shape, maybe a brand, maybe a material such as clay, meerschaum, or morta. So again, as with Prairiedruid's thread, with 2017 coming to a close, what new pipes have you discovered over the past year?

I found a few that took me out of my comfort zone and I'm quite pleased with them all. First, it was about this time last year I think that I purchased my first Savinelli 320. I found that these pipes in photos just didn't really appeal to me at all, but I had heard so many great things about how well they smoked that my interest was very much piqued despite that fact. As it turns out, for some reason the shape in many instances just isn't very photogenic. But in person, the shape is actually quite lovely and feels great in the hand as well. I don't believe a shape makes any difference in how a pipe smokes, but I do believe the chamber size does, and I can attest that complex blends such as balkans, englishes, and some aromatics truly do sing in a 320 with it's quite wide drilled chamber. I have a couple 320s now and they deliver great flavor and a wonderful smoke every time. And I always make sure to look for 320s when I'm browsing pipes online because I fully intend to purchase more.

Another pipe I discovered this year is both a brand and a material. I purchased for first L'Anatra this year which was also my first olivewood pipe. This one was quite a large rhodesian shape, well made with beautiful wood. I rather like the little silver duck head ornament on the stem but I've heard opinions vary on those. It's a heavy pipe, definitely not one I'd clench (I rarely clench anyway), but it smokes very well and is a joy to look at with its "oil on water" grain.

I've never been a fan of straight billiards and in fact have only a few straight pipes anyway. Two of which were Moonshine deviled eggs, and a little Diebel that Fnord gifted me years ago to help me round out a decent rotation when I was still very new. I love that Diebel, by the way. Smokes like a dream. I just couldn't bring myself to ever ever buy a straight billiard. They just looked too blah to me. But no XL90's or anything else I could really bring myself to like in the 2017 St. Patrick's Day lineup by Peterson forced me to go outside my comfort zone for something else. Not wanting to break my yearly tradition since 2013 I reluctantly chose a 106... yeah a total run of the mill typical billiard. Basically I just kind of said screw it and snagged the pipe whether I ended up liking it or not. I'm pretty glad I did that, as it became a favorite of mine once I had it, and I now have two 106 with another on the way. That one I'll be sure to post here once it arrives because I basically spent the better part of this year trying to find one and the shape was quite illusive in the line I was trying to find.

And that's all for me unless I remember something else.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of my pipes were discovered this year...

That said, the Viking Classic 1/8 bent Dublin I paid a bit too much for at my B&M has turned out to be the awesome ODF single flake burner.

The Hilson Vintage panel I acquired from foggymountain on a whim has well exceeded my expectations and now handles all of my short session VaPer duties.

Of all the pipes I have, only the Falcon has not found its niche. I find it small and finicky and am still searching for its purpose. More first world problems...

I'd try a 904 some day, but someone keeps snatching 'em up...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great idea, Anthony! As evidenced by several of my recent threads, 2017 has been the Year of Sasieni for me. I have fallen in love! Five family era pipes purchased in the last month! I own or have owned other great old Brit Woods, Comoy's, GBD, Dunhill, Charatan, but I have to say I prefer Sasieni to them all. I still love my Castellos, of course, but I guess I'm now a 2 brand collector!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I discovered that my favorite Yachtsman is actually a Zulu. I will discover a real Yachtsman hopefully soon.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jaytex, one of my first briars was a Viking Classic as well. Good little smoker. Get's a bit hot where the shank meets the bowl if not careful though.

I'd try a 904 some day, but someone keeps snatching 'em up...
    I wonder who that might be...

Tschiraldi, at some point I intend to discover Castello. I've seen a few that really piqued my interest lately.

Jpmcwjr, good luck with your yachtsman.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve actually gone all of 2017 without buying a pipe! Been spending all my dough on tobacco. I bought a Gamboni Bodog on 12-20-16 so that shall count as my new find for this year.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've found that Dunhills make great back scratchers and flower pots.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found that Dunhills make great back scratchers and flower pots.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I actually rediscovered how much I enjoy my old Big Ben dromedary. Hadn't been smoked for maybe a couple of years, but recently found it in the back of my pipe and tobacco closet, and can't seem to put it down.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That dromedary is such a cool pipe, Duane. I recently began changing out my rotation every week which has allowed me to revisit some of my old pipes as well. It seems my Dublin & London 106 has been a permanent part of that rotation though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. dcrguns

dcrguns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Several Winslow Handcuts. Excellent Danish pipes for pretty reasonable prices as far as handmade Danish pipes go. Might pick up another one before the end of 2017.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't say there was one pipe I found this year. For me I found that I'm more into straight pipes now. Straight rusticated/sandblasted classic shapes are really where my eye is drawn these days as far as pipes go.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

I have discovered that I like smooth pipes exclusively. they create a physiological reaction when I hold them before, during, and after smoking. I stare at the straight grain or birds eye . it is mesmerizing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I have discovered that I like smooth pipes exclusively.

That was me decades ago, but have in recent years taken to nearly 95% sandblasts in my collection. Something satisfying about the tactile experience with a rough ring blast.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have discovered that I like smooth pipes exclusively. they create a physiological reaction when I hold them before, during, and after smoking. I stare at the straight grain or birds eye . it is mesmerizing.
    Same with me. There are a few makers whos blasts I would like though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jeffro

jeffro

Login to Send PM

Well I have many types of pipes in my collection.
    But for some reason I never owned a church warden pipe. This year I decided to finely purchase one. I don't know why I waited so long. I love this pipe. It smokes cool and surprisingly to me the air-flow is great! for some reason I thought that it would draft tight or not as easy to smoke as a much shorter stemmed pipe. Wrong on that! I have a feeling I will end up with a few others in the next year or so

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I discovered BriarWorks pipes - actually within the last week or so. I bought a straight Rhodesian sandblast and am quite taken with it. It’s a well designed & constructed pipe at a very reasonable price.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Al Pascia Curvy. Great looking clenchers that are very comfortable. The drilling is a little less than perfect, but fortunately still smokes quite well.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll soon be discovering a new Curvy Rhodesian. Cannot wait.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've read the Curvies were made by Gubbels. Makers of Hilson, and Big Ben. Should be great smokers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. briarguys

briarguys

Login to Send PM

Finally was able to acquire a beautiful poker from Mr. Tom Eltang. After years and years of drooling over his pipes online I finally pulled the trigger! Hopefully Ill be able to grab one next year.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Three of my nicer pick-ups this year are Rinaldo, IL Ceppo and Fiamma di Re.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got my birth year Brigham in a lot of estates and its been fantastic. The bowl is a perfect size for me and the maple filter system gives me a nice dry smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Curvy generously given to me by Snowy Owl is a fantastic pipe. Also, I recently discovered Bertram pipes in the form of a large billiard which is a fantastic smoke as well. Many others were given to me or were had for cheap from ebay and restored. The Weber Extra Virgin was a bargain ($14 or so) and a consistently good smoke.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Though being a collector of his pipes for sometime now, I discovered this year from a pipe that Bruce Weaver gifted me, that he can make an excellent small pipe as well as the large ones that I commissioned from him.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That Weaver is lovely

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Smoking it right now. Still trying to figure out how he shaped that hippo tooth accent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me it's been watching Chris Besse and Zak and Epsilon2, or Ken Barnes (heh,heh) develop as artists, and Banjo and anyone who has 'scored' a nice new or old pipe and shared it here on the forums.
    I did acquire a couple of Italian made pipes for a steal on ebay that are right up there as the year's trophies.
    One a Sav 616, and the other a Tinderbox Ascorti LaSilvana in decent smoking shape for less than $20. each.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

noquarter

Login to Send PM

Ashton and Northern Briars. Beatiful pipes and great smokers, got them for like $30 on the bay also. Petes, Custom-Bilts,and Dunhills are still on top of my regular rotation. Losing favor are the Ser Jacopos, BP Jums, Custom-Bilt bullmooses and Kaywoodies.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've read the Curvies were made by Gubbels. Makers of Hilson, and Big Ben. Should be great smokers.

I read that and think you are correct. I've already held it, but the wife took it away for Christmas.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Austrian Kemberling, a gift, smooth bent Rhodesian. I'd not heard of it before.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased 4 pipes this year. I commissioned a billiard with Michael Parks, picked it up at the Chicago show, and also purchased a Kyriazanos lovat while at the show. I then purchased a Kyriazanos straight grain billiard in September off a website, and shortly thereafter commissioned a sandblasted billiard with Michail as well. It's been a billiard year for sure. No new discoveries, just a recollection of the pipes I acquired.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I discovered a Millville Unique that I got from Pipestud. Shaped somewhat like a Charatan, which made sense as I learned about the history of these pipes. Former Charatan workers father and son, ended up selling only at a street booth in London. It's a rather large square shank billiard and smokes great.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last time, a couple years back, I went looking for John I found the stand closed. There is some debate as to whether he'd closed it up for good though. Neighboring vendors couldn't agree. Great pipes, great guy!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been pipe smoking with regularity since 1994. Before that I was an intermittent puffer. Since 1994 I have gone through a few phases with pipe brands, shapes / bowl-sizes and even finishes. During 2017 I have rediscovered my love of the dublin shape. That's as specific as I can get.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Though being a collector of his pipes for sometime now, I discovered this year from a pipe that Bruce Weaver gifted me, that he can make an excellent small pipe as well as the large ones that I commissioned from him.

Not many pipes speak to me but when I look at a Weaver pipe, it just screams at me, "BUY ME, BUY ME". They are just gorgeous pieces. I want to own one someday... but I keep spending all my money on my cellar. I may have to sell a few pipes off to obtain one of his. How many do you own now, Duane?

That Dublin you posted above, keeps screaming at me. I have to leave this page now or I'll make a decision my wife will surely not be happy with.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Castello and any pipe under 1oz.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

How many do you own now, Duane?

Seven. He's all but retired, but his pipes can still be found.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never tire of seeing those Weavers. Lovely pipes, Duane.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never set foot in a pipe shop this year. Never saw a display. I believe I treated myself badly in that respect. Perhaps my New Year's resolution should be to get on a plane and hit Iwan Ries or Peterson ... maybe James Fox ... Food for thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This happened a little longer than a year ago but I bought out a guys Willmer AAA Straight Grain collection of around 18 pipes( I am too lazy to get off my ass and count them). All of these pipes are group 5-ODA size and fairly heavy. They don't fit in my normal pipe criteria but since I began smoking a few aromatics that are not flakes, I decided to go for it. These pipes smoke awesome. I have been on record for a long time about the quality of wood that Willmer uses. I had bought 2 Willmer AAA's years ago and was amazed at how they smoked. I don't care how hard you push them, they don't smoke hot.

One of the other reasons I bought these were they all had vulcanite stems that were pretty comfortable and they were not made with the old high sulfur vulcanite stems like on many of the older British pipes( most notably Upshalls).

Another line of pipes I discovered in this same time period were the Pre Transition Barlings that Jesse aka saddlebrush has been bragging about since he got here. I finally went after one to see if jesse had his head up his ass, but low and behold, he was spot on. The Barling smoked fantastic so I ended up getting another 4. Every Barling I bought smokes like a champ and I am probably going to buy more. Their stems are really comfortable, nice and flat and also has a good button.

Also in this time period I bought my second pipe from our own Zack and it is a great pipe. His stem work has really gotten good and the nice sized shank dimension ( around 4.3mm) makes the pipe smoke dry as a bone. His sandblasting is always great and this last pipe I got was really well done. I will post a pic but don't know how long it will last cause of photopuke.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

RYAN ALDEN!!!!!!

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will post a pic but don't know how long it will last cause of photopuke.
    Less than three minutes

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

fitzy, I forgot about Ryan. I bought 2 of his pipes in the same time period and both smoke like champs. Definitely recommend his pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reposted a at 3:24:11 PM PST on Wednesday, December 13, 2017 to see how long it lasts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

amisk

Login to Send PM

I recently got a Brigham single dot, voyager series, shape 103. It smokes great with or without the rock maple filter but it is a little dryer with it. Based on my research it’s post patent era, circa late 50’s early 60’s. My first canadian made pipe.. i think.. I’m not sure where my great grandfathers “old owl” was made.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a birthday gift, my wife gave me a Nording zebra hunting pipe, which is almost short churchwarden length and slightly bent. I hope she bought it on sale, 'believe she said she did, and so I hope because it is higher end. But a fine pipe with carved zebra stripes on a good big Dublin bowl with a slender stem. Nice. I had a Nording or two, but hadn't studied the hunting pipes at those prices.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

grimpuffer

Login to Send PM

I don’t have any pics of the pipe but a good friend of mine actually let me try a Tom Eltang Poker he had inherited earlier this year. Beforehand, I had never paid attention to Toms pipes and didn’t really know anything about them. You could tell the pipe hadn’t been used that much and was in great shape. You couldn’t really tell why had been smoked in it either as there was no ghosting that I could tell of.

The thing was so light it was a clenchers dream.

I was worried that the thin walls would get too hot with the cadence at which a tend to puff but it was fine. The rustication on it was unique as well.

So of course I went online to check them out and my heart sank once I saw the price. Needless to say that the only Eltang I will own will be a gift or a miracle. But I can say I had the opportunity to smoke and enjoy one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. zerohunter

zerohunter

Login to Send PM

HS Studio. Regardless of who makes them, knock-off or not, they are great looking pipes that smoke well for a decent price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. popeofpiping

popeofpiping

Login to Send PM

This year I can't say of a certain shape, but Country of origin for sure. Starting out mostly buying and finding British estates, but in the last 6 months my focus and intrigue for Danish pipes has grown immensely.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

but in the last 6 months my focus and intrigue for Danish pipes has grown immensely.

Be careful, those things are highly addictive!

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Enjoy that Nording, MSO.
    At least you got to smoke one once, Grim.
    The Danes make some beautiful pipes, Pope.
    Duane, I'm betting that's a Preben Holm. Lovely pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris I've got one Alden so far and I can't wait to have another. I also would love to get another pipe from Zach.

I should also mention Adam aka Clickklick.

Also I've found that I love straight billiard, canadian, liverpool and lovat's!

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

I was fortunate to purchase a Jody Davis.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. cynicismandsugar

Jeffrey Deal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The year was kind (as was the wife), and I discovered that Dunhills aren't spun from angel hair, nor woven from Satan's whiskers; they're, in fact, just pipes. Huh, who knew?!

One was great; one was was good; and one was tiny.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Duane, I'm betting that's a Preben Holm.

You got it.

I discovered that Dunhills aren't spun from angel hair, nor woven from Satan's whiskers; they're, in fact, just pipes. Huh, who knew?!

They make great back scratchers and nice flower pots too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last few months I've given away more then I've bought. Making progress on down sizing. LOL!

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not discovered, so much, but finally scored.

I finally got a couple of Steve Weiner pipes. They are awesome.

Finally got myself a Bruce Weaver pipe. Tremendous as well.

I did discover Luciano pipes. I got one from Steve (Pipestud), and that thing is really awesome.

P.S. You all need to stop with the photobucket. I can't see any of you pictures unless you are paying the subscription or whatever...

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Two Ropp pipes, one from the sixties, a billiard and another one from the thirties, a dublin. Both unsmoked but not anymore.

Two estate GBD Prehistoric tapered billiards, two is better than one!

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kaywoodie HandMade. I started my pipe journey with a love for early Kaywoodie Pipes up until about the 60's. I had one newer one that was a good smoker, but not much in the grain department. And of course my now three competition pipes which are really nice. But I never thought too much about the other new ones. I then got hooked on artisan pipes and forgot some of my Kaywoodie pipes. On my third year in a row going to the Kaywoodie Holiday Party and Northeast Smoking Competition, I bought one of the handmade line upon discovering that Bill Feuerbach personally makes every single one of them and limits them to less than 100 a year. One spoke to me, despite being not my typical style. More of a freehand shape and heavily bent. I was worried that it would just sit on a shelf, and I don't like buying pipes that sit on a shelf, but it spoke to me. Despite the fact that it really nestles into my beard, it is comfortable and does not gurgle like most bent pipes that I have smoked. I've been smoking this pipe every day for over a week, and I am seriously impressed with it. It made me break out a couple of the old Kaywoodie pipes that started to gather dust and totally rekindled my love for Kaywoodie. I think I'll be buying a handmade line every year.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. cynicismandsugar

Jeffrey Deal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[Dunhills] make great back scratchers...

Particularly, a Churchwarden... one smoked by Gandalf is preferable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

fitzy, Ryan is going to be the next Rad Davis if he keeps making the quality of pipe he is for the prices he is charging. His stem work on my 2 are sweet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. eddiegrob

eddiegrob

Login to Send PM

I have estate pipes including Dunhills, Charatans, Sasienis, Barlings, GBDs and Savorys. But this past year I discovered the Orlik estate pipes. I've snagged two thus far, including this 182 Virgin billiard.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4273/34085348983_07a9044763_z.jpg

"Americans are the people who describe their use of alcohol and tobacco as vices" G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. skeeter456

skeeter456

Login to Send PM

bones pipes by chris morgan! bought 3 this year

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up this Mark Stout at the Chicago show this year.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And this Teipen in St. Louis

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Not discovered a pipe but I have discovered that I like to smoke my flakes (usually Gawith Hoggarth) in straight through pipes and aromatics in 9mm filtered pipes.

Falcon
    Parker
    Butz Choquin
    Carey

9mm Big Ben
    9mm Passatore

Must get a Peterson soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm Anthony's opposite: pray ye the man who tries to take my straight pipes away from me! But I thought ALL straights, with the exception of the freestyles, were a little monotonous, and a real practitioner of the Art should have at least a few full bends. And as fortune would have it, I found the Christmas line from Peterson for this year enticing. So I took a chance and got the LX, with a spigot no less, and the Xmas 106. Both were enchanting, and the full bend LX so much so I pulled the trigger for the trumpet shape bent. I loved the stem, which moved without interruption, into the stummel (which is why I don't like saddle stems) (Sorry to have forgotten the numbers describing the bent pipes.) I still have to learn how to properly smoke these enormous bents -- how to keep the smoke out of your eyes, for example -- but I think it's a good way to end the year.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  69. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely Petes, Sparrow.

Sallow, is that a crack in the shank of your Tiepen?

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No it is not a crack, just a pit.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gandalfspipe, pepesdad1