PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I had intended to smoke earlier in the day but got distracted... So I got some lunch out and had some diet coke left over so I decided to drink it while smoking some EMP as a pallete clenser...And it tastes terrible. I'm sure most of you have found smoke/drink combos that do not work at all... So lets hear em'!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I am not overly fond of carbonated drinks with my pipe or very cold drinks. I like tea(room temp) or coffee (can be hot). Alcoholic drinks mess up the taste a bit as well for me too. Funny, I like them with my cigars.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
in an article posted on the SPC website "Summary Notes from the lecture of Henri P. Gaboriau M.D." on the risks of pipe smoking he says drinking alcoholic beverages can destroy the norma flora and protective lining in your mouth. So I stay away from alcohol while I smoke. Though I do break the rule every once in a great while. Mostly its warm tea and coffee!!

If your interested in the article its here Summary of Lecture from Henri P. Gaboriau M.D.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I avoid cold carbonated drinks while smoking my pipe. For some reason, the combination of the two makes my tongue feel like it's on fire.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Worst combo for me so far is Squadron Leader plus Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron. Two great tastes that taste foul together.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
We had a nice night earlier in the week so I decided to take my 1/2 glass of Cabernet outside and enjoy and little English Oriental. I don't care what wine it would have been, I just don't think wine stands up to tobacco. I never liked wine with my cigars either.
I prefer a port, whiskey, or strong coffee.

Aug 14, 2012
I found out this week that carbonated beverages leads to weak bones & osteoporosis. I like red wine, Scotch or water, most often cold spring water.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
mostly coffee for me, I'm not a big drinker anyways but I had some sherry last night with my pipe and it was ok. Definitely anything carbonated though

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Soda does the same flaming tounge thing to me too. Hot tea or coffee, or water for me.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I used to have a beer with my smoke but I noticed that too bothered my tongue. Usually tea or coffe, sometimes Scotch. No more carbonated beverages for me.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Mostly coffee or tea, I had a strange experience with Pepsi, whatever I was smoking with it made the Pepsi taste like ginger ale...

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have also found carbonated stuff burns. Coffee for me, some bourbon is good, but the best is port. I rarely drink port because of the high sugar content (diabetic for close to 40 years) but it is soooooooooo smooth!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Water all the way for me. I am cutting back on the carbonates because of the very reason foggy mentioned. I am a geezer, so I need all the bone structure I can get.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Nothing spicy, eg. Bloody Mary, especially with tobacco that has perique in it. Your mouth will be on fire! 8O

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I haven't had any terrible combinations, but I usually smoke my pipes in the morning so I will have them with coffee. If I do have a pipe in the evening its usually with some whiskey. Sometimes I will have a pop or a beer, but I've found that beer usually stings the tongue while smoking and the pop does sometimes as well.
When I smoke my cigars I can drink anything, but usually beer or pop. My favorite is a black spiced rum mixed with Dr. Pepper. and a nice maduro cigar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I stay away from anything carbonated and any fruit juices. The acid in the fruit juice is a killer and the carbonation also is very uncomfortable. I stick with my coffee and iced tea most of the time. I do break both rules above when I have my adult libation in the evening before dinner when I have my vodka, diet tonic and a splash of cranberry, maybe it is the vodka in it but that combo does not bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.